5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best political autobiographies
I am not, by any means, a political supporter of Mr Major (according to my Father I am a "Trot" - which translates into English as "liable to vote Liberal Democrat"), but I can't remember any political autobiography I've enjoyed so much. Sometimes sharply witty - verging on the downright catty on occasions - always clear, never pompous, generous in praise of others. I...
Published on 18 Feb 2009 by Wigan Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, straightforward style
Fascinating view from the inside but only occassionally does the style really engage the reader.
Published 2 months ago by Willingham One

5.0 out of 5 stars If only he could have witten this before he left No. 10, 6 April 2000
By A Customer
I have read almost all the Conservative bioghaphies of Ministers who served in the 1980's and 1990's. Mr. Major's book was without doubt the easiest to read, and the most enjoyable. Highly personal and deeply moving in parts, Mr. Major came over as a truely decent man, who was just the sort of man Britain needed in politics, but with whom his party seemed unable to follow. My own abiding thought, is that if only he had had the opportunity to write as he did whilst still in Government, his party perhaps would have understood the man. There will be some who remember Major for the sleeze years, but his epitaph as Prime Minister would be more fitting to read, John Major, the Prime Minister who believed in Britain, the fairness of it's people, and who genuinely set out to help all'.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent, Interesting Read, 13 Dec 1999
By A Customer
Living most of my life under conservatism and brought up in a Labour voting household, I was surprised by the John Major autobiography. Never realising the hardship he felt as a youngster, the upset at dissapointing his mother and father and the fact that as Prime Minister he set out to relieve the same social hardships he felt. A mis-understood man in a dirty, back-stabbing world, that otherwise you would never have known about. My respect for the the man has increased somewhat. A great read, far from dull and painfully honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this if you care about Britain, 1 Aug 2003
Mr. G. Ewart "grannit" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: John Major: The Autobiography (Paperback)
John Major comes across as a man of great personal integrity and honesty who cares about his country and society.
His book really is as beatifully written and informative as other reviewers have suggested. It has taught me much about our political system and the recent history of Britain, and has informed my views of the policies of the current Labour government.
There are more fascinating aspects to this book than can be listed here. Among them are numerous examples of the way in which politicians routinely selectively report facts when talking to the media or the House of Commons. Reading this book will make you think more about what you hear in the media.
It left me feeling that when the next election arrives, I will be better equipped to decide how to vote. It also left me feeling more passionate about our country and its history and traditions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Open & Honest, 30 April 2001
This review is from: John Major: The Autobiography (Paperback)
For the first time in British Politics, somebody has spoken openly and honestly both on the poistive and negative side of being British Prime Minister. John Major tells an account from an unbiased view on the life and times of being Prime Minister. An real autobiographic masterpiece. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 8 April 2014
This review is from: John Major: The Autobiography (Paperback)
Who would guess that a political autobiography could be a damned good read? I enjoyed every page and learnt a lot. I always liked John Major and his wife Norma. We could do with more like them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Detailed!, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: John Major: The Autobiography (Paperback)
A very well written autobiography - so much reading! I've worked my way through part of it - to be honest I was searching for any 'juicy bits' [i.e. affairs].... I feel that John Major was a very under-estimated Prime Minister - most people [including myself I suppose] wondered how he had risen through the ranks so quickly. It appears to me that he was a 'decent bloke' who was able to ease any tension in the party, but was also able to make tough decisions. Who really knows what these characters are really like ..........

5.0 out of 5 stars A balanced account of a difficult period of our recent UK history, 17 Dec 2013
George David Gwyer (England and India) - See all my reviews
Fascinating insights into the Tory party's battles over Europe. Recommended reading for David Cameron, and all who admired Margaret Thatcher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 13 Aug 2013
I found this a really interesting read from a historic perspective. Reads well, slightly long winded at times but certainly worth going to.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent work should be on the school syllabus to see who politicans work, 20 July 2013
This review is from: John Major: The Autobiography (Paperback)
A wonderful insight into the man and his beliefs- shows him as a sincere and honest politician trying to do the best for his country and he certainly set the economy up for Blair to free wheel

5.0 out of 5 stars an understated statesman, 1 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this autobiography - Mr Major gives great detail behind some of the machinations of government,and manages to put across highs and lows of his political life without rancour or malice - maybe sometime in the future,history will remember him as the caring and thoughtful person that he is.

John Major: The Autobiography
John Major: The Autobiography by John Major (Paperback - 10 Nov 2010)