5.0 out of 5 stars A PERFECT ROMANTIC COMEDY
Published on 3 Jan 2001 by miranda_smith@hotmail.com

2.0 out of 5 stars It all depends on what you're looking for
If you need something light to read on a plane, or by the pool, fine. It makes few demands on the intellect and is at times mildly amusing. I had to read it as it was chosen for my reading group, but otherwise I would have given up half way through. I found it boring, repetitive and totally predictable and I really didn't care what happened to Minty in the end.
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by Frenchloki

5.0 out of 5 stars A PERFECT ROMANTIC COMEDY, 3 Jan 2001
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
I was given this for Christmas and feel envious of anyone who hasn't read it yet. It's a riot! Very funny, and also full of feeling as Minty, jilted at the altar, struggles to get over her emotional shock and to reinvent herself as a less 'nice', and less obliging person. She realises that she'd lost sight of who she really was as she had struggled to fall in line with what her domineering ex, Dominic, had wanted her to do and be. I think this is something women can all too easily do, treading on egg-shells with their boyfriends just to avoid any conflicts. But what makes this book so wonderful to read is the completely unpredictable plot - every prediction I made was wrong! - and also the fabulous jokes. Plus a cast of wonderful supporting characters, particularly at the radio station where Minty works - including Melinda, a radio presenter - or rather 'pwesenter'. I just loved this book and read it in a day, and am now going to read Tiffany Trott and hope I'll like that as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars a totally compulsive read, 7 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
I read this book in five hours - couldn't stop. HAD to find out what happened to Minty! What an engrossing read - very witty too - but above all a fantastic and completely unpredictable story, very well told, with a range of really vivid and memorable characters. Loved the dreaded cousin, Amber. Hated awful Citronella Pratt. And I loved the way Minty changes, from idiotic self-deceiving sap, to powerful woman making the right choices at last. Very well written - brilliant dialogue in particular. Psychologically realistic too, and very funny, but above all an utterly compelling story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hell Hath No Fury....Well, Something Like That., 5 Mar 2003
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
"Making Minty Malone" by author Isabel Wolff (Author of "The Trials of Tiffany Trott") is a wonderfully delightful and charming romantic comedy about a woman who never thought she'd face a hand like the one she got dealt. All set to marry a man who she believed to be "the one," Minty faces the realities that maybe God is just laughing at her.
Dominic is gone. She's alone. And, now the question of what to do next looms great and loud. So, what's a girl to do but, take those honeymoon plane tickets, grab the girls, and head to Paris. There she meets a man who could change everything. If she'll let him.
"Making Minty Malone" is a very sweet, fun and wildly romantic tale that captures the hearts of anyone that will read it. I found it as enchanting as "Bridget Jones," "Jemima J.," "Getting Over It" and "Come Together." If you loved those....CERTAINLY give this wonderfully written book a chance on your summer reading list. Great Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Marvellous!!!, 30 Sep 1999
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
Sitting on the train I saw three women in my carriage, all with the same bizarre grins on their faces and all with their noses in a bright green book!!
Now if everyone else is reading this book, I must also so the next day I bought the day after that I'd finished it - and boy, did I enjoy it?!
'The Making of Minty Malone' made me laugh, made me cry, gave me hope not to mention the material for hundreds 'Men are Ba£$%*ds' jokes. Oh yeah, and it made me feel sick!!
A gripping, hilarious, realistic storyline. Friendly, amusing, characters you can relate to. Speach impediments, kittens, male escorts, weddings, 'icky' children and rude parrots all go together to make the one book I have read all year which didn't make me think I was the only daft person left in the country!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More, more, more, please, Isabel Wolff!, 22 July 2000
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
I read this book all day and laughed out loud four times. Thanks to you, Ms. Wolff, I never made it out of my pajamas, let alone vacuumed the floor or emptied the dishwasher. But, who cares, I had a glorious, single-woman Saturday! (Well, I'm married now, but we're still entitled to one every now and then, right?) I can't wait to read your next one. Oh, and the other four women in the stairwell send their kudos, also. I only hope that my next trip to England in September yields your new novel at the airport bookstore. (Could you write faster, please?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly entertaining without being self-involved, 23 Oct 1999
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
Isabel Wolff's novel is a refreshing departure from the usual novels of it's genre - the writer as best buddy of the reader. The reader as the writer's confidante, who listens sympathetically to the moaning and complaining of someone who has nothing to complain about. No, this is not Bridget Jones! The central character, Minty Malone, makes no apology for who she is to the reader nor does she wallow in self- pity nor does she celebrate her deficiencies as being cool or cultish. She just gets on with life. Jilted at the alter by her fiance, by the time he comes crawling back she is over him, having realised that he was the worst thing that ever happened to her and his dumping her, the best. She moves on, finds someone else and entertains us with her trips to LA (mingling with the beautiful and famous whilst trying to make the romance work) and a believable unstereotyped host of characters. Great stuff!

4.0 out of 5 stars All about learning not to be a doormat!, 24 May 2000
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
I liked this much better than Isabel Wolff's first book, The Trials of Tiffany Trott.
After being jilted at the altar by a bossy, selfish boyfriend, Minty starts learning to stand up for herself. The mockery of the selfishness of her friends, colleagues and relatives is really funny social satire, all very nice though, as is Minty. People are shown as selfish but with lots of redeeming features which win out as Minty learns to stand up for herself.
Great fun and very witty with a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent tale of "woman loses man, finds self", 7 Feb 2002
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
Getting dumped hurts, even when you aren't that sure you like the guy. This story opens on the morning of Araminta "Minty" Malone's wedding day as she gets dressed for church. She tells us how she met Dominic and lets us in on a few things she doesn't like about him but will obviously overlook.
Then Dominic dumps her at the altar in front of all her friends and family and walks out of the church, leaving Minty humiliated. Not knowing what else to do, Minty and her best friend go to Paris on what would have been Minty's honeymoon (she's been to Paris 11 times, but Dominic is afraid to fly and they could take the train there.) There, she meets a writer named Joe, also from London, but she disregards him.
Joe figures in a lot the next year of Minty's life. Each chapter of the book is one month. She goes through all the life-changes women often make to feel better after a relationship: drastic haircut, new job, takes a course, and finally confronts Dominic after learning he is engaged to another woman ... whom he also dumps.
Before she can get over Dominic, Minty has to figure out what was lacking in her to be attracted to him in the first place. And can't we all, male or female, relate to that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally entertaining and absorbing, 5 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this - it's very funny, lively and glamorous, without being too unrealistic, and the author is brilliant at describing people (sometimes wickedly) and places (there are some great minor characters, like Melinda,the world's worst radio presenter), making it more than just a fluffy romantic comedy. I've just about had my fill of all those books about nothing much except the heroine looking for and finding a man, but Isabel Wolff's last novel was a breath of fresh air, and this is even better. Minty is lovely, and loads of women will really identify with the story of how, without realizing it, she finds she has turned into a doormat and what she does about it. It manages to be wildly entertaining and escapist, and quite inspiring at the same time, which is unusual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully funny, clever, sparkling and uplifting, 11 Aug 1999
This review is from: The Making of Minty Malone (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book - it is even better than Tiffany Trott - which I also thought was wonderful. The characters are very vivid and engage us because we all know people like them - even if some of them are ghastly! In particular, I felt an immediate empathy with Minty, having gone through a very much milder version of her experience, but definitely having suffered her mental anguish. The questions she tortures herself with and her initial misconceptions about the villain of the story are so recognisable. She is surrounded by a colourful cast of characters -in particular, I absolutely adored her cousin Amber, who despite her maddening character, or, more especially, because of it, comes through as the most wonderful friend and ally to Minty. The plot is brilliantly threaded together with unexpected twists and turns and the author is very good at outwitting us - just as we are smugly thinking we know what is coming next - we are usually wrong! I love the way she really gets us into Minty's mind and takes us along with her - digging deeper and deeper until she finally unearths the truth about herself. I felt such a pang of recognition about myself - it was quite scary! The characters are so believable and well-portrayed - reading the book is like watching a film. In fact, I think this would make a great film. Isabel Wolff manages to strike a convincing balance between psychological exploration and humour - the dialogue is very witty and full of her usual erudition and one-liners. I read the book in one day and attracted a lot of stares on the train because it made me giggle so much. I now want to go back and read Tiffany Trott for the second time. A really great read - so much better than Bridget ...!

The Making of Minty Malone
The Making of Minty Malone by Isabel Wolff (Paperback - 2 Aug 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01