Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 February 2012
even after 5 years keep coming back to this book. exciting, fast paced and with social commentary. love it
on 7 September 2009
Sometimes when you see a book with an absolutely stunning/revolting/brilliant idea at it's centre (and I challenge anyone to think up a better/worse concept than a "Spares farm"!) you find that it's just a one idea story.

This one isn't.

The Spares themselves and the farm and their escape actually end up as a pretty minor part of the story!! I suppose what he's done is take one idea (a brilliant one!) and thought "okay - what would a world where a spares farm could exist look like?".

This is a really good book - it really is worth reading.

Not only is it a good story - it will add a "must read" writer to your list!!
on 26 April 2010
I loved this book; quirky, deeply touching, unsettling, and halfway through it turns around from hardboiled scifi to something surreal. Definitely great, but what I couldn't get are the amazon reviews mentioning "comic", "funny". What book were they reading? If anything, the book starts like a futuristic horror and ends up like a bad LSD trip. One must have a very skewed sense of humour to find it funny...
on 27 February 2016
Hard hitting ethics questioning novel. Worth a read.
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2009
I have read this author previously under the name Michael Marshall and this book "Spares" seems completely different to any of the others I've read, it's weird, wacky and wonderful and so surreal, I'll just have to get the rest of his Marshall Smiths now. I had this one on my shelves for ages not knowing if it would really be my cup of tea, but once I started it, I was stunned with how incredibley good it was, the characters are for the most part likeable and well formed and the action is entertaining, though violent. It's not an easy novel to put in to a particular category, because there are so many different threads to the tale, I just know the writer has written a great narrative, full of wit, which I love in a book and characters I cared about, which is always important to me. I know that this is going to be one I'll want to read over again, this doesn't often happen nowadays as there so many books out there just waiting for me to get my hands on them. This is outstanding work from an original and entertaining writer.
on 6 September 2015
Good Book Happy Makey Me
on 18 September 2014
Great Seller :)
on 27 June 2008
Why add another review? - well, because its great to shout about a class act.

Horrific, Funny, Intelligent, Thrilling.

I have even chosen this as my first book to read in German - one way to make the lessons more fun.

Ps - enyone else notice that the film `The Island` with Ewan McGregor totaly rips this book off - not that Smith ever got the credit? Coincidence? - perhaps(not that the film is fit to polish the boots of Spares)
on 16 November 2011
for any micheal marshall smith fan, this book is one that im sure you will love. right from the start it has you enthralled. the plot is great, the
characters are great (esp the spares) the story line is great. its not slow paced, as i have found a few other M.M.S books can be. you really must
read this book you wont be able to put it down till youve finished reading it!.
on 1 September 2001
THIS BOOK KEPT ME ENTHRALLED FROM START TO FINISH - IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE. I'VE HEARD THAT SPIELBERG BOUGHT THE FILM RIGHTS TO IT ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO AND I JUST HOPE THAT HE DOESN'T RUIN IT. IF HE MAKES THE FILM AS GOOD AS THE BOOK THEN IT WILL BE A MAJOR BLOCKBUSTER AND HOPEFULLY A TIMELESS CLASSIC. THE STORY IS BASED IN THE FUTURE IN A BLADE RUNNER TYPE WORLD - DARK, GLOOMY, NEON LIGHTS, ETC. THE BOOK IS WRITTEN IN SUCH A WAY THAT YOU CAN REALLY IMAGINE BEING IN THIS FUTURE WORLD (NOT TOO DISSIMILAR TO THE WORLD OF BLADE RUNNER).
YOU ALSO GET A REAL FEEL FOR THE MAIN CHARACTER AND FEEL HIS EMOTIONS THROUGH THE BOOK. IT IS SO GOOD THAT IT IS HARD TO DESCRIBE WITHOUT GOING OVER THE TOP.
I WOULD JUST SUM THIS BOOK UP AS BEING NOT JUST THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ BUT THE BEST BOOK THAT I WILL EVER READ IN MY LIFE !
NO KIDDING !