5.0 out of 5 stars Pirates, liveships, dragons
Published on 1 Mar 2006 by N. Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Great novels, appalling narration (audio book version)
I first became aware of Robin Hobb about four years ago when I ordered the Liveship Traders series in Hardback. I enjoyed them immensely. Her writing style is clear and easy to read and she writes with good pace; those two things coupled with a ready imagination is a winning combination.

However, this audio book read by Anne Flosnik is abysmal. Flosnik has no...
Published on 6 Jan 2012 by Silas Wegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Pirates, liveships, dragons, 1 Mar 2006
N. Clarke (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ship of Destiny (The Liveship Traders, Book 3) (Paperback)
Robin Hobb is one of the fantasy genre's Good Guys. She may not be doing anything vastly original or profound - but, man, she does it so well. For pure entertainment, there's none better: intricate plotting, knife-edge tension, a sense of place so real you can smell it, and emotional engagement in spades with characters well worth caring about. I haven't turned 900 more enjoyable pages since ... (you can see this one coming, can't you?) the previous instalment.
The setting, slightly outside the normal run of high fantasy, is clearly inspired by colonial America. The pioneer Trader families have prospered for several generations in the bustling entrepot of Bingtown, thanks in large part to commerce undertaken with the Liveships - magical, self-aware vessels built of a particular wood only found upriver from Bingtown, crafted for the Traders by their mysterious kin who live there. But theirs is, naturally, a precarious existence in a frontier land. They are dependent upon trade for much of their food and other supplies, and remain politically subordinate to their former homeland; the society that has developed in response to the challenges is a deeply conservative one; and there are other opportunists who desire the same chance at making their fortune, who are willing to use slave labour to get it.
The concerns, then, are familiar ones; this is all about a society in the painful throes of transition, forced to confront issues of privilege, hierarchy, and access to power. This is played out in a number of ways, one of the most pointed and nuanced being the status of women, as expressed through a diverse range of major characters. There is Althea, who dreams of captaining her family's new Liveship, but finds herself out in the cold when the inheritance goes to her brother-in-law, the new man of the house; her sister Keffria, torn between being a good Trader wife and the desire to protect her children; her mother Ronica, struggling with the loss of status brought on by widowhood; Etta, a former whore who finds a whole new world opening up to her as she learns to read; and many others. All of them are beautifully-drawn, fully-rounded individuals, filled with dreams but mired in mistakes; they are individuals with their own compelling stories who each embody a facet of who women are and can become in this world.
Leaving aside the specifics of the plot, the third and final volume is a more than worthy conclusion to a complex, magical, multi-layered saga - and confirms again my belief that nothing can quite make my heart and my imagination soar like well-written fantasy!

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterful conclusion to another Robin Hobb fantasy epic., 26 April 2008
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ship of Destiny (The Liveship Traders, Book 3) (Paperback)
The final instalment in Robin Hobbs wonderful Liveship Traders trilogy does not disappoint, not that it was ever likely to. The characters, are of course, by now vividly defined but its the way that the author ties all the disparate plot strands and by proxy the characters that makes this such a pleasure to read.
Anybody reading Ship Of Destiny would surely have read the previous novels and be familiar with the characters. Anyone reading this book who has,nt read the other books....what are you playing at? The plot draws together the multiple members of the Vestrit family as they struggle to survive . Ronica and Keffria are still in Bingtown , a place under siege and falling apart. Malta is stranded on a tiny boat on the Rain Wild River with the arrogant Satrap of Jamellia while her possible husband to be Reyn is trapped in the mud of the sunken city destroyed by an earthquake with Malta,s little brother Seldon.
Meanwhile Althea is aboard the Liveship Paragon still confused about her feelings for Brashen but determined to find the families Liveship Vivacia. The ship herself is exploring her long hidden identity , exacerbated by the serpents that follow in her wake. Would be pirate king Kennitt , the arch manipulator , is still attempting to coerce Wintrow and Etta into a destiny neither envisage . On top of all this the freed but arrogant Dragon Tintaglia views the humans as mere pawns to be used in the propagation of her species.
The way Robin Hobb draws all the characters together for the sagas conclusion is completely believable , free of contrivance and masterfully paced. It is also hugely satisfying without resorting to sentimentality and cliché though it does,nt have quite the lump in the throat effect of the end of the Farseer series.The link between the serpents and the dragons is finally revealed and there is a tantalising hint as to who the mysterious Amber might really be. You would be a fool to miss it. That.s my less than subtle hint there.
Ship Of Destiny is the conclusion to another tremendous fantasy series.Imaginative, wonderfully written with memorable characters and a serious sub-text involving the evils of slavery . Every bit as good as the Farseer series and as anyone who has read those will tell you , that's some achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 Jan 2001
By A Customer
I nearly didn't buy this book as most loose ends seemed tied up or at least predictable by the end of the second book. But I'm glad I did. It gripped me from start to finish, full of quick paced action and characters whose motivations and dilemmas could be empathised with. I was quite sorry to reach the end. Heartily recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy Rocks!, 8 July 2005
This review is from: Ship of Destiny (The Liveship Traders, Book 3) (Paperback)
I have to say, Robin Hobb is a genius. Just like the Farseer Trilogy, I soon became enchanted with the Liveship Traders Trilogy and I read the books in a record time for me, I just couldn't put them down.
Robin Hobb is highly intelligent and I think this is illustrated in how there are many 'Main' characters and the way their lives intertwine together.
I loved all the characters, even the spoilt and selfish Malta, who soon won my heart.
The Ship of Destiny concludes this inspiring Trilogy, and brings all the snipets of information Hobb has cunningly delivered to their purposes. We learn more and more about the 'Realm of the Elerings' and of the 'Truth' Behind the Wizardwood ships. It's not just the characters who won my heart, but also the misunderstood Pirah Paragon and the confused Vivacia who show they are as intelligant and have just as many feeling as their human counterparts.
Within this book we learn the Tragedy of Kennit's past, Althea's and Brashens future as well as Malta's, Wintrow's and Little Seldens.
Anyone who enjoyed these books, I would strongly recomend Buying Leagends 2, this has a short story by Hobb, in which we learn more of the history of the mysterious Rain Wild Traders.
Enjoy !

4.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly or Dragon!!, 2 Aug 2003
This review is from: Ship of Destiny (The Liveship Traders, Book 3) (Paperback)
Robin Hobb seems to take the characters within her books and breath life into them making them seem as if they are in the room with you while reading, as opposed to just words on a page. This trend flows through all three books, although at times I wanted her to stop telling the story of one character and move to another as I wanted to know what had been happening to them, we all have our favourites!!
The multiple storylines that began with the first book are brought together in the final few pages of this, which does lead to some frantic reading. I only hope we are to see the return of these characters in future books as I felt that their possible futures were dangled tantilising before me. What of the dragons??
The comedy that is written within these books will bring a smirk to your face, this element of fantasy fiction is often forgotten as I am sure comedy exists everywhere, including the unforgiving seas of the Pirate Isles.
Great epic, I will never look at a snake the same way again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great novels, appalling narration (audio book version), 6 Jan 2012

However, this audio book read by Anne Flosnik is abysmal. Flosnik has no talent for this medium. Her pace is patchy and her delivery is like a stereotypical fortune teller (think Mystic Meg without sentence structure); also Flosnik has difficulty with Bs, Fs and Vs, which are indistinct and appear to be mixed up (Ronica Bestrit, Bifacia...). She does no justice to such a superb book. I really can't see why she is being given work in this medium at all.

I checked her web site to see how much work she has had and it does seem to be fairly prolific. I was surprised at that. I checked her demo samples page to see if it was just this book that was so poor (it didn't make sense that someone so obviously bad would get a lot of work); the demo samples confirmed my review. They all seemed fairly poor.

If I were Robin Hobb, I'd be rather upset by this disastrous reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly stunning., 28 Nov 2000
By A Customer
Having read the other reviews of this book, I think that it's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of novel. I for one love it, and think that it's one of the best fantasy novels I have ever read. The first book in the trilogy, although slow to begin, had me gripped by the end, and spent the next week feverishly awaiting the next installment. Not many books leave me shaking at the end of it, but this was one of them. For anyone who has not yet experienced any of Hobb's books, please, please, please read this trilogy, even if you hated the first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first trilogy, 1 July 2000
It took me quite a while to discover Robin Hobb, but after finishing the Farseer trilogy I was very glad that I had. Robin Hobb writes some of the best books I have ever read, although the end of the first trilogy was fairly depressing. It made the entire thing more amazing, but left me very sad nonetheless.
The Liveship Traders trilogy surpasses her first one, a thing I thought almost impossible when I started reading Ship of Magic. But the characters, both good and bad, and the sometimes startling developments of their personalities throughout the trilogy, not to mention the nicely paced plot, I could go on for hours about why everyone should give these books a chance. I do not think the ending was hurried, the trilogy was wonderfully wrapped up. I truly hope Robin Hobb continues to write for a long time, so I have something to look forward to.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Series Whose Conclusion Somewhat Disappoints, 29 May 2000
By A Customer
After the strengths of the first two books, as well as the opening two thirds of this volume, I would have been willing to assert that this trilogy was one of the best works ever written in fantasy. In almost all respects, I continue to believe this. However, Hobb has somewhat sadly stumbled in the concluding hundred pages, appearing to rush to resolution, as if having once predetermined that this work would be a trilogy, that she could not decide to extend it into a fourth book. This is truly unfortunate, has her conclusion appears rushed and, compared to the pages preceding, loosely wrapped up, with a resolution that is only barely satisfying.
After all the character and plot development that led up to this work, the final hundred pages seem precipitate. The main characters come together abruptly and in a way that is largely contrived, several are disposed of summarily, and everyone else lives happily ever after. While this type of fairy tale ending may satisfy some, I found the conclusion to Hobb's earlier Farseer Trilogy far more credible. Further, the disposal of the Chalcedians, the plot against Bingtown and the Satrapy of Jamaillia, the restitution of the Vestritts, and the rescue of the fortunes of the Wild River Traders, as well as Reyn and Malta's new identities, never reach full fruition, rather arbitrarily and hastily wrapped up as are so many other plot threads earlier so well developed and measuredly evolved. Finally, the mystery of Maulkin's Tangle gets simply settled with a quick trip up the river.
While I continue to believe overall that this is one of the best works of fantasy that I have read, I nonetheless remain mildly disappointed in the ending. After the investment of time and energy, both by the author and myself, in setting up and developing a wonderful story, I can only wish that she had been willing to committ an equal amount of time and development to her ending, which would have provided the substantial balance needed to conclude this story fully. As is, the ending seems somewhat stillborn, with so much more that it could have offered. I can only say that I'm sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow..., 14 April 2000
Robin Hobb does it for me again. I've been reading fantasy books for a long time and it's not often that you come across an author that puts out good book after good book after good book. I was enthraled by the original trilogy that Robin Hobb wrote, but the liveship trilogy has blown my mind away.
She tackles the usual fantasy book fodder but she does it in an an intelligent, thoughtful, interesting way. There are so many new ideas. The characters each have flaws and strengths - they feel real. No one is down right evil, yet at the same time there is no one that is down right good. Each keeps a little back whilst still giving out loads.
I loved these books, this third was excellent I'm only dissapointed that I had to come to the end of the trilogy. Feels like I've just been seperated from a good friend. Oh well, guess I will just have to go back and read the Assassins Quest books again :)

ARRAY(0xa218c174)

Ship of Destiny (The Liveship Traders, Book 3)
Ship of Destiny (The Liveship Traders, Book 3) by Robin Hobb (Paperback - 4 Feb 2008)
6.55