5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, but start with "Dead Beat"
Published on 24 Jun 2000 by Mr. D. J. Carr

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read.
This is the second of the Kate Brannigan books that I have read and although I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the other one (Clean Break) it still made for a good enjoyable read.
Published on 12 Sep 2004 by Rich Milligan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book, but start with "Dead Beat", 24 Jun 2000
Mr. D. J. Carr "David Carr" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
The five Brannigan mysteries are really five episodes in the developing life of the Warshawski-like Manchester private eye and her semi-detached boyfriend. While much lighter than her more mature works, the combination of humour, English locations and mystery is excellent. I would recommend buying all five Brannigan stories and reading them chronologically, starting with "Dead Beat". You'll wish that Ms McDermid had written just a few more episodes before graduating to her mature novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read., 12 Sep 2004
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
I still can't quite get over the similarities between Val McDermid's Brannigan and Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone, all you need to do is transpose California on to the Manchester heartland and the two are interchangeable.
My one criticism of the book (which goes for many of Sue Grafton's as well) is that they can tend to go rather too far in the feminism stakes. All the women and strong, sensible, intelligent and in the main successful (and 9 times out of 10 good looking as well) whilst the men tend to be weak, unattractive and pretty thick and therefore no match for the quick witted Brannigan, who is of course one step ahead
Still I will certainly return to Ms Brannigan in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to track down the rest of her books, 7 May 2000
Tina Jones (Crewe, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
This was the first novel I read by Val McDermid and made me want to track down the other Kate Brannigan novels. Crime fans have got to read this book, the character Kate Brannigan is so strong and an inspiration to all women. McDermids writing is strong and passionate with an amazing sense of humour slipping out in the characters. The book has a few twists and several stories within the main story. The plot is an interesting one which I am sure many writers have been too scared about polital correctness to touch - well done Val McDermid.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a superb book, 26 Nov 1999
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
I picked up Blue Genes in an airport for "something to read on the plane". Am I glad I did. I have just ordered all the rest of the Kate Brannigan series. It's such a pleasure to have a change from all the American M.E. and detective books (a la Patricia Cornwell's Dr Scarpetta series). It's set in Manchester and surrounding area for one. She dives under a table at the one time a gun is brought out and it doesn't end with mountains of bodies. Her style of writing is a breath of fresh air. She mixes strong old-fashioned who dunnit with infectious modern humour that we can all relate to. As in "I know my excuse was thinner than Kate Moss but....", and having lost someone she was tailing - "Quoting extensively, if repetitiously from the first few scenes of 'Four Weddings and a Funeral', I drove in her wake." What a wonderful image that conjured up. I am really looking forward to the next Amazon package of Kate Brannigan stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting and intriguing!, 24 Jun 1997
The books about Kate Brannigan are all worth
reading but in "Blue Genes" Val McDermid has
really made it!
Kate's life is changing in this book; her lover is
gone, her partner wants to be bought out and
her best friends are having a child..
However, in this particular case the parents of
the child are both women-made possible by a
doctor who appears to have her own strange
ways...Something is wrong and Kate are going
to sort it out.
This book takes a grip at You immediately:
Well written, intriguing and raising thoughts a-
bout genetics and etics.
Worth reading anytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracking read from McDermid, 29 April 1999
By A Customer
I am a huge fan of McDermid's work, and the Brannigan series is my favourite. Blues Genes brings together all the great characters, with a special focus on Kate's best friend, the wonderful Alexis, who is caught up in creative procreation! Apart from well-structured plots and well-drawn characters, I love the humanity and humour which these books have. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars it is a very gripping crime novel ,well thought out plot, 7 Dec 1999
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
i thouroughly enjoyed this exciting thriller as i thought it was extremely well written and had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through !

3.0 out of 5 stars Three and a half, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
This isn't the best book I've read by Val McDermid. I did like Kate Brannigan, but I find some of her antics quite far-fetched (OK, it's fiction!).

The plot is intriguing but I probably sussed the conclusion about half-way. Having said that, the motive was a surprise so it was still a satisfying end.

I wouldn't class this as a compelling book. I was quite happy to read a chapter or two at a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Manchester based private eye whodunit, 8 July 1999
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
A great page turner. I really enjoyed this whodunit. The characters were interesting and well drawn, the plot original and the setting unusual (i.e. not set either in London or some pretty pretty rural village with more than its fair share of homocidal maniacs) I only discovered Val Mcdermid by chance, but I will certainly be buying more of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars an enjoyable read, 7 Aug 1999
This review is from: Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
This was a reasonably good whodunit. Kate Brannigan is a refreshing change from the usual angst ridden private investigator. It was a pleasure to read a whodunit which concentrates on the story for once without analysing the lead character. I certainly intend to buy more novels by Val Mcdermid.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan)
Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan) by Val McDermid (Paperback - 1 Dec 2003)