5.0 out of 5 stars Venus Flaring
Published on 31 May 2004 by Kay Sexton

1.0 out of 5 stars Meaningless chick lit with no plot
Published on 15 April 2007 by BretEastonEllis88

5.0 out of 5 stars Venus Flaring, 31 May 2004
This review is from: Venus Flaring (Hardcover)
Suzannah Dunn is a master at dissecting the relationships that are closer than 'just friends', those love affairs we have with our oldest friends, the attachments we formed before we were old enough to rationalise our preferences - the friends of our blood and bone. This book is a subtle, elegant and creepily powerful examination of what happens to one such friendship as the two girls, Ornella and Veronica, grow - and change.
I met Suzannah at a writers' workshop before I read her books and went through the awful process of wondering whether I would like the writing as much as I'd liked the writer - I needn't have worried. She is as good a storyteller as Hilary Mantell and her dialogue is absolutely perfect; you'll wonder if she was stood behind you in your teenage years, noting down the things you said and did.
It's a must read book if you like good stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful rites of passage drama, 11 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Venus Flaring (Paperback)
Suzannah Dunn writes so well about the friendships forged in late teens and the passage to maturity. Her writing far suppasses the marketing consious nostalgia books based on growing up in the seventies. It is a touching account on how friendships change and dissolve when life takes us in different pathways, though we are not entirely sure we are brave enough to let go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Meaningless chick lit with no plot, 15 April 2007
This review is from: Venus Flaring (Paperback)
The only positive thing I can say about this novel is that it is an easy read and its 350 pages can be romped through in a couple of days. They won't be a particuarly interesting couple of days, though. My opinion of this novel is that it is meaningless, banal chick lit with two dimensional characters, documenting the utter, utter banality of their lives. Great if you buy your books from Tescos, but not for someone who is actually a fan of good books.

Venus Flaring
Venus Flaring by Suzannah Dunn (Paperback - 22 Aug. 2009)