5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious Characterisation
Susan Howatch's stories are very weird. Her characters have tempestuous spiritual lives. I mentioned that I had read her novels to a man who was an assistant to former Archbishop Runcie. Runcie supposedly said they were good stories, but nonsense.
Published on 13 Feb 2006 by William Cohen

3.0 out of 5 stars Worse spelling than the Guardian!
Excellent book spoiled only by the awful spelling mistakes in the kindle text. For example instead of 'die' the word 'the' was used - very confusing. Unfortunately this does not improve with the later books either.
Published 14 days ago by Jane Hansford

5.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious Characterisation, 13 Feb 2006
William Cohen (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Paperback)
Having known Runcie a tiny bit, I found that quite disappointing. Surely he should know if some of his priests have psychic powers?
Howatch's world of demons, exorcisms, hypnosis, visions and healings is thrilling. She makes religious experience intensely dramatic. She expresses something of the inner turmoil and confusion we all feel but it is not practical or possible often to communicate to others.
The fact that a marriage or a family life can have one narrative, but look under the surface and there are many different narratives, is certainly true. That we have to revise our interpretation of events in our lives when we acquire self-knowledge is also absolutely spot on. Are the bits about resurrecting cats from the dead and premonitions of the future, literary devices that just bring out those facts with more clarity? I'm not sure. In our own minds we can identify strange inklings, but of course we tend to forget the inklings which turned to be absurd. Howatch is actually good at showing that we can fulfil our own premonitions by literally creating them through our own efforts.
I'm glad the Archbishop of Canterbury isn't infallible. I'm glad too that Susan Howatch writes such complex and stimulating fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 15 July 2012
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Paperback)
I read this years ago and recently re-bought for my kindle. I am glad to say it has lost none of its magic.

The story starts with Jon Darrow a man who became a monk in an Anglican order 17 years ago becoming convinced that he is being called by God to re-join the world in a as yet unspecified way. The book combines a love story,(yes incl. sex but not graphic) a journey of spiritual discovery and psycho-analysis as Jon faces up to the failures of his past and his relationships with his parents and children. The "Glamorous Powers" of the title are Jon's psychic powers. I particuarly like the way this aspect of the story is handled -although his abilities are genuine they are not exaggerated and do not provide magic answers to problems. As Ingram his spiritual advisor points out -for every genuine psychic insight Jon has he makes two wild inaccurate guesses. Despite the unlikely premise the story is a believable one and the main character despite his obvious character flaws is a symapathetic one. This story will appeal particularly to anyone interested in the mystical aspects of religion but it is definitely a story not a sermon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A taste of something different, 4 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Paperback)
Like GLITTERING IMAGES, the first of the Starbridge novels, GLAMOROUS POWERS is compulsive reading for anyone with an interest in the Church of England during the mid-twentieth century. It illustrates well how supernatural gifts can be misused but also, how by the grace of God, situations can be redeemed and transformed. I liked the idea of a monk who, at sixty, didn't consider himself to be a young man but, released from his vows, nevertheless managed to find love and happiness. Susan Howatch is a much better author than I am, and her subject matter had obvoiusly been well researched. The only criticsm that might be ventured is the lack of reference to the constraints imposed by wartime conditions. More in the way of refrence to those circumstances would make a book set in 1940 rather more authentic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of insight, 4 Dec 2001
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Paperback)
The second in the series of Starbridge books - Glamorous Powers - is the one I liked the best. IN this book we get to know Jon Darrow, who figured in the first volume Glittering Images as Charles Ashworth's spiritual director, more intimately. Whereas in Glamorous powers, seen through Charles Ashworth's eyes, he was the perfect super priest who knew everything, here we actually get under Jon's skin and see him as he sees himself: as a flawed, confused man with many problems, in particular concerning his relationship with women. Jon had spent several years in a monastery as a monk, but now, in his sixties, he receives a calling from God to leave the monastery and fulfil a mission in the world - but he doesn't know what. Nor is he certain if that mission includes marriage.
For anyone with an interest in Gnosticism and mysticism, this is a particularly interesting book - but such an interest is definitely not a pre-condition for reading and enjoying it! I'm not the only Howatch reader to have this as their favourite in the series. I've opened an online discussion and reading group based on the Howatch novels; if you are interested in joining please mail me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb novel, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book on very difficult issues, eg personal insight and recognition of errors, damage of guilt etc. Most interesting too on the differing views of the Church of England, its problems of dogma and differing schools of thought. A very shrewd look at the personal and psychological problems facing priests . A very thoughtful novel looking at an area of religion, ie psychic powers, that must by its very nature create much conflict and debate.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very readable book, interesting and deep reaching, 22 Jan 2013
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Kindle Edition)
I very much enjoy reading Susan Howatch's books. Her profound sense of place and the deep analysis of emotional and spiritual states of her main character are impressive. As we get to know the main character, his spiritual and emotional trials and tribulations hold our attention and we all can identify with his struggle to bridge the discrepancies between 'how he should feel and behave as a clergy' and 'how he actually feels and behaves'. As a psychological and spiritual study this book doesn't disappoint. It disappoints slightly by being fairly similar to the first book in the series and I found at times that I wished it would move a bit faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly my favourite book, 12 April 2014
Rev. H. J. Crompton "Crompy" (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Kindle Edition)
Found myself endlessly fretting and worrying about poor John Darrow as I read this book first many years ago. I have re-read many times since then and its like visiting an old friend. Captivating and absorbing; everything I look for in a novel.

I have found rather a lot of typos in the Kindle versions of Howatch's books. have had to send 2 of them back.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worse spelling than the Guardian!, 3 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Glamorous Powers a crie de coeur for religion, 22 Mar 2014
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Kindle Edition)
Susa Howatch writes highly intelligent books about flawed human beings caught up in endless struggles with themselves and their adversaries not least with the devil and all his works! She is a powerful advocate for religious beliefs, and am bereft now that the sixth and final book has been read!!
!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Glamorous Powers (Kindle Edition)
At the beginning a bit boring and nearly didn't finish it as a too bit psychological for me but got better towards the end

ARRAY(0xaa8b0e58)

Glamorous Powers
Glamorous Powers by Susan Howatch (Paperback - 4 Oct 2010)
11.99