4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely enjoyable
I really like all of KB's novels, they have this characteristic ironic tone about them, as it is recounted in first person. Also, without going into much gory details, I find the crime writing suspenseful and entertaining. It also balances well character development and storyline, making for a very satisfying read.
Published on 16 Mar 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm so disappointed!
I can't believe this book was written by Val McDermid. I've read four of her novels so far - The Mermaids Killing, The Wire In The Blood, The Torment Of Others and The Distant Echo - all of which I thought were brilliantly written and full of suspense.

Published on 23 April 2006 by Gina Skinner

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely enjoyable, 16 Mar 2004
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a short series, 24 Jun 2000
Mr. D. J. Carr "David Carr" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Crack Down (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
Val McDermid started off by writing five schoolgirl mysteries, the "Lindsay Duncan" series. She then wrote five Kate Brannigan books before joining the big league with her mature works beginning with "The Mermaid's Singing". The Brannigan books are very satisfying light mysteries set in a working-class England that rings very true to one who experienced it first hand. I recommend buying all five Brannigan books, then reading then in chronological order starting with "Dead Beat". By the time to finish the five, you'll wish that Ms McDermid had written more of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant novel fronm Val Mcdermid, 28 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Crack Down (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
Crackdown was the first novel I read by Val Mcdermid and it was brilliant. Kate Brannigan is certanly one of the best female private investigators every created, and I look forward to reading more novels featuring her.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm so disappointed!, 23 April 2006
This review is from: Crack Down (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)

But Crack Down seems to be missing everything I so loved about Val's other books. It is... well, boring. Not much is happening at all throughout the entire book. Yes, there are lots of little jokes, most of them in a sarcastic manner which is entertaining at times but that's about it, everything else is just boring.

PI Kate Brannigan chases after the bad guys who are responsible for her boyfriend Richard being in prison for handling drugs. Surprisingly, those so-called bad guys play a rather minor role in the book, as does Richard himself. Kate keeps chasing those (very, very dangerous it says in the book) drug lords at a quite leisurly speed so it's a miracle she always catches up with them exactly when the big deals happen.

As a matter of fact, everything seems to fall into place automatically for her. Of course she's never in any danger herself because the criminals don't even notice her driving behind them for hours on end on the motorway and through the cities and don't ever catch on when she gathers bags of evidence against them.

The characters in this book are so uninteresting, I virtually had to force myself to finish it at all. Honestly, I couldn't care less about the whole thing.

Yawn...

In my opinion - no matter how much I enjoyed her other novels - Val has done a poor job with this book. And her character, Kate Brannigan, does nothing for me at all. I certainly won't read any other books from the Brannigan series.

I can't believe this book has come from Val McDermid!

Save your money - don't buy this. Or borrow it from the library if you must.

A great book by Val which I can't recommend enough, is The Distand Echo - now that's a brilliant novel with a good story and interesting characters, a book which is full of suspense and twists right to the end...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Jun 2014
Garry Iles "Gazza" (UK) - See all my reviews
great

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Crack Down (Kindle Edition)
Val McDermid does it again.10/10, a well crafted story with believable characters. I highly recommend the Kate Brannigan series. M

5.0 out of 5 stars The five Kate Brannigan books, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Crack Down (Kindle Edition)
Best read in the right side but even so it didn't matter! Having read all five I have enjoyed them all & would recommend them. They keep you guessing as to who dun it but it all comes together in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Crack Down (Kindle Edition)
How does Kate Brannigan cope with her layer back boyfriend, who else but him could get arrested stealing a stolen car back. I suppose though he needs a medal for putting up with such an independent woman as Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars Most enjoyable!, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Crack Down (Kindle Edition)
Once again, Val McDermid has succeeded with an exciting, edge of your seat thriller, which is laced with humour all the way through.

Very entertainig and easy to read into the night, because it's impossible to put down!

My only regret is that I have only a few of Val's titles left to read now!

1.0 out of 5 stars Crack Down, 8 July 2013
Mrs. B. Rimmer (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crack Down (Kate Brannigan) (Paperback)
Excellent book which I would recommend to anyone. Val McDermid is always excellent and can't wait for the next one.

Crack Down (Kate Brannigan)
Crack Down (Kate Brannigan) by Val McDermid (Paperback - 1 Dec 2003)
6.99