• Tully

Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 February 2011
Oh, where do I begin???
This book is an amazing find, I read it approx 15 yrs ago, and no other book has ever matched up, infact I am still in pursuit of another book that will take my breath away as Tully did.
It not only is a heartwrenching story of love, but also of friendship and how to overcome adversity. I fell in love with Tully Makker, and felt like I had lost a friend when the book ended. The character has been crafted so well by Paulinna Simons, you love her, you hate her, you understand her, you don't understand her, its a joy to unravel it all.
In my view it is Paulinna Simon's best work, and although I loved the Bronze Horseman, it just did'nt effect me in the same way as Tully did.
I have subsequently bought this book for my closest friends, and they too have all thought it was a very special find.
Buy this book, you will not be disappointed, only when it ends and Tully Makker is'nt in your life anymore.
on 3 April 2001
Tully was the first novel for Paullina Simons and what a great job she has done for a first timer. It was a true-to-life story tugging constantly at my heartstrings, as it kept me entralled with it's magnetic storyline as well as it's wonderfully complicated characters. Tully Makker lived through an enormously tough life playing her cards the only way she knew, seeing that she had been dealt a terribly rotten hand. She felt to me like an old friend or sister and now that I've finished the book, I miss Tully very much....even now. All avid readers should get their hands on this book at the earliest convenience. Thank you Ms. Simons, and keep the good work up.
on 24 January 2007
I bought this book after reading Girl in Times Square and loving it and as it had such amazing reviews on Amazon. I LOVED this book, I loved the characters and I loved the storytelling. I finished it, then reread it straightaway and each time you reread it you realise why characters behave like they do at certain points so it even manages to improve. I bought it for all my friends for Christmas and hope they love it as much!
on 15 September 2006
Tully Makker feels like my friend. I have read 'Tully' so many times over the past 7 years, the pages have started to fall out and the cellotape only bulks the book up even more! I could not believe that this masterpiece was Paullina Simons' first novel. Some writers could never achieve something like this in their whole careers. Paullina Simons has written this so well, if I were Tully.....I wouldn't be able to choose, and I've often wondered what happened to the characters later in their lives. This novel isn't just about, growing up and falling in love. It's about surviving a tough life and having to make tough choices up until the very last page.

Tully is Simons' original tough, independent woman with endearing vulnerabilities who paved the way for Tatiana in the Bronze Horseman. The best read in a long time, this novel is un-put-downable!
on 24 July 2007
I loved this story and just couldn't put it down. It kept me awake at night - because I didn't want to stop reading and switch the light out, and then when I did because I was thinking about the characters. It really is like they are my friends, and I care about what happens to them. It is an amazing achievement that Paullina Simons can create that feeling. Often I enjoy books, but struggle a little with them feeling contrived and almost trying too hard. The story strikes you in so many ways, even if your life has been nothing like Tully's, you feel totally in tune with her at some points. I desperately want to know what happens to the characters next. I picked this book up on the off chance and just want to make sure that anyone ever considering reading it does - because it is just great.
on 9 June 2005
I first read this book when I was about 15, and it changed the way I looked on life forever. It was like I could feel and understand everything Tully went through as if it were myself. Reading about the character Tully Makker's own battles helped me to see the world differently and motivated me to keep on going through every obstacle life threw in my path. I've since read Red Leaves (also good) and other works by Paullina Simons. But Tully is by far her best work to date. Every time I read it, its like reading it for the first time from another person's perspective.
on 11 June 2000
One of the best reads for me.For every girl, I imagine! You really live the character,Tully; you feel her pains, her joy , you cry with her loss's,her dissapointments her everything! I could not put the book down.The writing is so discriptive, so vivid, to the point that you are really there, with her, you are feeling, dreaming, worrying, breathing, being frustrated, angry about Tully and the story, that you cannot put the book down.You leave your own reality, only to enter the reality of Tuller Makker and are so sad when the last page is turned that you hope for a sequel, or a film.... I am now a big fan of Paulina Simons, although Tully was the best book so far!
on 12 November 2004
A book to make you laugh and cry at exactly the same time, to make you appreciate life-long affects of cruelty, to make you fall in love with the main character even though you know you wouldn't like her if you met her, to make you remember the huge importance of teenage life and to make you miss your holiday!
on 8 July 2000
'Tully' was reccomended to me by my good friend and her mum, in unison. And I am so pleased to have read it because it blew me away. Not many books have the power to draw you in completely but Paullina Simmons' way of writing was so fluid and realistic that it had me from the very beginnig. Her descriptions are very poetic, sometimes painfully disturbing, the dialogue sounds extremely real and it rang in my ears days after I finished the book. I cannot start reading another book now, firstly because I want 'Tully' to stay with me for awhile and secondly because I am too busy catching up with my own writing. This book broke down the writer's block I've had for years and opened the doors so my memories and imagination can roam free and fill the pages. 'Tully' is simply a wonderful book. Thanks Paullina!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Natalie Ann ('Tully') Makker is, as we are told on the book's blurb, a tough woman, born the 'wrong side of the tracks'. She's also one of the most unfortunate protagonists in literature. She's born to not particularly bright parents - her mother Hedda (the victim of an abusive childhood) left school at 14 with no qualifications, married at 16 and is convinced that her husband will leave her once they have children; her father Henry is a happy-go-lucky restless sort who married 'for a laugh' and who wants a son. When Tully is two, her mother tries to murder her. A couple of years on her baby brother dies in mysterious circumstances. When she's seven her father disappears and something (what we only learn later) happens to her surviving younger brother. When she's eleven her mother breaks her nose, twice. When she's twelve something so traumatic happens that she can never speak about it again - and her best friend's parents' efforts to adopt her fail. At 13, she rebels and starts hanging out at local clubs, working as a dancer and drinking. At 16 her mother twigs what's going on, and beats her up before insisting that in future she only hangs out with 'nice' people. This in fact isn't so bad, as Tully regains her old friendship with her best friends from her childhood, Julie (the intellectual, secretive daughter of a large Mexican-American family) and Jennifer (the brilliant, mildly autistic daughter of protective Italian parents). And through Jennifer Tully meets someone that could change her life... but then Jennifer falls in love - with disastrous consequences, which ultimately lead to the second major trauma in Tully's young life. Oh - and throughout all this unhappy childhood she's stuck in Topeka, a small town in Kansas, with only a dream of getting to California to sustain her as she gazes over the prairie...

There is in short, even more misery than in the average 'misery memoir' and so it's not surprising that Tully becomes rather a mixed-up young woman. Incredibly, she remains very balanced about her studies - after a couple of false starts she gains a Masters Degree in sociology, and becomes the most brilliant administrator of a foster-children programme in Topeka that Kansas has ever seen. But her personal life is a mess. She continues to date Robin (the young man she met at Jennifer's party) who is kind to her, but she doesn't really love him, finds his life (a job running a gentleman's outfitters plus lots of soccer at the weekends) dull, and soon starts cheating on him with one of her college lecturers. Soon she's in a terrible fix, wobbling hopelessly between the choice of a wild escape to California with Jeremy the lecturer (who loves her, even if she finds him far too nosy) or a safe life with Robin, who accepts her past but who wants to mould her, particularly in her relationship with her mother. Then - although she's a vigilant taker of the contraceptive pill, she gets pregnant. At least it kind of resolves her dilemma - until, a couple of years later, she meets up with Jack, the boy that Jennifer loved to distraction, now turned into a glamorous wanderer (a sort of modern version of a German Romantic, but less poetic) and ends up hopelessly stuck unable to choose between two men once again...

You've got to hand it to Simons, she is incredibly readable. Although I found this book too long (there's far too much of Tully's dithering between her various men) and some of the themes (Jennifer's autism, for example) weren't properly explored, and although the misery is laid on with the heaviest of trowels, I did find the book rather addictive - although I didn't like Tully (she seemed in many ways humanly quite stupid, however intellectually brilliant she was meant to be - and certainly horribly selfish) I did want to know what happened to her, and to Robin and Jack. The early section of the book, involving Tully, Jennifer and Julie, had some beautiful scenes (particularly when Tully told Jennifer stories) and throughout there were some lovely passages - Tully regaining her intimacy with Robin by reading novels out loud to him and her crippled mother, Jack and Tully rowing on the lake, Tully and Julie's growing bond. But in the end, I didn't feel that the novel's main themes were explored with enough complexity. Simons didn't seem interested in exploring why Tully was so selfish (her behaviour towards Robin after the debacle with Jack was particularly appalling) other than simply implying that 'she's had a horrible time, and so can't be expected to behave nicely'. The failure to get to California was clearly reminiscent of the failure to get to Moscow in Chekhov's 'Three Sisters', but with a much broader timescale got horribly monotonous - why on earth didn't Robin just take Tully on a vacation there, at least! Simons never examined really how Tully might feel about Jack bearing in mind what happened to Jennifer - Jack simply went from being an opportunistic villain to being a golden-haired hero in the later parts of the book. The idea that 'Tully really loved Hedda all along' hinted at towards the end didn't seem feasible - nor could I believe, bearing in mind the way Hedda had treated her daughter, that Tully's friends' parents hadn't notified social services when Tully was a child. Tully, by contrast to the chaos and utter lack of self-reflection in her personal life, seemed unrealistically perfect in her job. And far too much of the book was spent dealing with Tully's romantic dithering - between Robin and Jeremy, between Robin and Jack - and her feeling that 'it wasn't fair' she couldn't have things as suited her. She was meant to be a sensitive girl - wouldn't she have felt any guilt at all? Also, I don't believe that someone who took the Pill every day could get pregnant twice by accident. And there was too much 'self-help-book' talk - things along the lines of 'I can't carry you any more, Tully', 'I'll be your shelter, Robin' and the like. I still don't know why Tully made her final decision - I guess the author just realised that after 600 pages (this is a long book!) she'd have to end it somewhere.

This is a perfectly interesting light read, but it doesn't fulfil the potential of the subject, and the writing style ultimately becomes monotonous. Reasonable light reading, and quite interesting as a broad sweeping look at American small-town life, but it could have been a lot better!