5.0 out of 5 stars Please Read
A book to make you laugh and cry at exactly the same time, to make you appreciate life-long affects of cruelty, to make you fall in love with the main character even though you know you wouldn't like her if you met her, to make you remember the huge importance of teenage life and to make you miss your holiday!
Published on 12 Nov. 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Melodramatic tosh!
I was influenced by the ecstatic reviews for this novel, but cannot agree. We are introduced to an unsympathetic bitchy heroine whom inexplicably everyone thinks is wonderful, sexy, clever and therefore.......totally unconvincing. Being kind I would say that nearly everything about this novel fails to ring true. Being unkind I would say it is mostly ludicrous. For...
Published 14 months ago by S. Lowry

5.0 out of 5 stars Please Read, 12 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tremendously Good Read That Keeps You Thinking, 3 April 2001
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
Tully was the first novel for Paullina Simons and what a great job she has done for a first timer. It was a true-to-life story tugging constantly at my heartstrings, as it kept me entralled with it's magnetic storyline as well as it's wonderfully complicated characters. Tully Makker lived through an enormously tough life playing her cards the only way she knew, seeing that she had been dealt a terribly rotten hand. She felt to me like an old friend or sister and now that I've finished the book, I miss Tully very much....even now. All avid readers should get their hands on this book at the earliest convenience. Thank you Ms. Simons, and keep the good work up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I ever read, 24 Jan. 2007
S. Kavanagh "Sarah" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
I bought this book after reading Girl in Times Square and loving it and as it had such amazing reviews on Amazon. I LOVED this book, I loved the characters and I loved the storytelling. I finished it, then reread it straightaway and each time you reread it you realise why characters behave like they do at certain points so it even manages to improve. I bought it for all my friends for Christmas and hope they love it as much!

5.0 out of 5 stars a book that you will remember all your life, buy it for your best friend., 7 Feb. 2011
Oh, where do I begin???
This book is an amazing find, I read it approx 15 yrs ago, and no other book has ever matched up, infact I am still in pursuit of another book that will take my breath away as Tully did.
It not only is a heartwrenching story of love, but also of friendship and how to overcome adversity. I fell in love with Tully Makker, and felt like I had lost a friend when the book ended. The character has been crafted so well by Paulinna Simons, you love her, you hate her, you understand her, you don't understand her, its a joy to unravel it all.
In my view it is Paulinna Simon's best work, and although I loved the Bronze Horseman, it just did'nt effect me in the same way as Tully did.
I have subsequently bought this book for my closest friends, and they too have all thought it was a very special find.
Buy this book, you will not be disappointed, only when it ends and Tully Makker is'nt in your life anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book of all time., 21 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
This book is a simply a master piece. I have read it about 6 times since I first read it when I was 17. Everytime I pick up, I just cannot put it down. It is such a good book.

It decribes the life of a simple girl and all the mistakes she seems to make.

I see a lot of myself in Tully. I leant the book to my cousin and after reading it she said she saw a lot of herself in Tully then I passed the book onto my best friend who also said she saw herself in Tully. All three of us are very different but thats the beauty of Tully, she represents all girls. Each of us will see a part of us in her.

Beautifully written, the book explores the issues of friendships, relationships and family. As Tully grows into a woman, we, the readers grow with her. We laugh with Tully and we cry with Tully through the book.

I loved the book when I first read it and after 7 years, I continue to love it. Read and u will be surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a good book.....IT'S A FANTASTIC BOOK!!!, 15 Sept. 2006
L. Scarpati "LAS" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
Tully Makker feels like my friend. I have read 'Tully' so many times over the past 7 years, the pages have started to fall out and the cellotape only bulks the book up even more! I could not believe that this masterpiece was Paullina Simons' first novel. Some writers could never achieve something like this in their whole careers. Paullina Simons has written this so well, if I were Tully.....I wouldn't be able to choose, and I've often wondered what happened to the characters later in their lives. This novel isn't just about, growing up and falling in love. It's about surviving a tough life and having to make tough choices up until the very last page.

Tully is Simons' original tough, independent woman with endearing vulnerabilities who paved the way for Tatiana in the Bronze Horseman. The best read in a long time, this novel is un-put-downable!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I Have Ever Read, 24 July 2007
Mrs R (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
I loved this story and just couldn't put it down. It kept me awake at night - because I didn't want to stop reading and switch the light out, and then when I did because I was thinking about the characters. It really is like they are my friends, and I care about what happens to them. It is an amazing achievement that Paullina Simons can create that feeling. Often I enjoy books, but struggle a little with them feeling contrived and almost trying too hard. The story strikes you in so many ways, even if your life has been nothing like Tully's, you feel totally in tune with her at some points. I desperately want to know what happens to the characters next. I picked this book up on the off chance and just want to make sure that anyone ever considering reading it does - because it is just great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifeview changing, 9 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was about 15, and it changed the way I looked on life forever. It was like I could feel and understand everything Tully went through as if it were myself. Reading about the character Tully Makker's own battles helped me to see the world differently and motivated me to keep on going through every obstacle life threw in my path. I've since read Red Leaves (also good) and other works by Paullina Simons. But Tully is by far her best work to date. Every time I read it, its like reading it for the first time from another person's perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly sensitive, heart rendering, tear jerking , read., 11 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
One of the best reads for me.For every girl, I imagine! You really live the character,Tully; you feel her pains, her joy , you cry with her loss's,her dissapointments her everything! I could not put the book down.The writing is so discriptive, so vivid, to the point that you are really there, with her, you are feeling, dreaming, worrying, breathing, being frustrated, angry about Tully and the story, that you cannot put the book down.You leave your own reality, only to enter the reality of Tuller Makker and are so sad when the last page is turned that you hope for a sequel, or a film.... I am now a big fan of Paulina Simons, although Tully was the best book so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Tully' inspired me to write again!, 8 July 2000
This review is from: Tully (Paperback)
'Tully' was reccomended to me by my good friend and her mum, in unison. And I am so pleased to have read it because it blew me away. Not many books have the power to draw you in completely but Paullina Simmons' way of writing was so fluid and realistic that it had me from the very beginnig. Her descriptions are very poetic, sometimes painfully disturbing, the dialogue sounds extremely real and it rang in my ears days after I finished the book. I cannot start reading another book now, firstly because I want 'Tully' to stay with me for awhile and secondly because I am too busy catching up with my own writing. This book broke down the writer's block I've had for years and opened the doors so my memories and imagination can roam free and fill the pages. 'Tully' is simply a wonderful book. Thanks Paullina!

Tully
Tully by Paullina Simons (Paperback - 6 May 2008)