5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying , emotional and exciting end to Fitz,s story
Published on 9 Jan. 2007 by russell clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Fools fate
Not as good as some of the others but still ok I suppose, if you've read the previous books you will enjoy this
Published 22 months ago by eamon doherty

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying , emotional and exciting end to Fitz,s story, 9 Jan. 2007
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fool's Fate (The Tawny Man Trilogy, Book 3): Book Three of the Tawny Man: 3/3 (Paperback)
Really great art has the ability to leave you bereft. For instance when the Jam split up I was distraught. I was even more distraught when I heard the Style Council but the absence of that band( The Jam) from my life meant the future looked suddenly bleak. Of course I got over it, yet I still feel the same when certain things slip out of my life and I know I will never get that anticipation of re-joining them for new adventures. "Blackadder Goes Forth" got me like that and here's the rub, so did "Fools Fate".

I have followed the adventures, trials, tribulations and travels of royal assassin Fitz from the very first book "Assassins Apprentice" and though it sounds rather trite and shallow Fitz has become like a mate. I realise he's only a fictional character , that he doesn't in actual fact exist , but all the same I really , really care what happens to him. Fitz isn't perfect..he worries too much , he procrastinates and frets .In truth he needs to lighten up a bit but to me and no doubt countless other readers he is so beautifully drawn a character, as indeed are most the characters in Robin Hobbs books , that he could be real . We suffer with him, understand his frustrations and fears and revel in his rare moments of freedom and joy. In short we empathise.

Which is why , despite being completely bereft at reaching the conclusion of that last of the six books featuring Fitz Chivalry I was oddly moved and almost surreptitiously happy that he achieves some measure of peace and contentment at the end of his eventful journey throughout the "Six Duchies". The last volume is wonderfully written as always, with hugely satisfying plot strands alluding to events and characters from previous books while maintaining an insistent and mesmerising momentum to the proceedings that tie everything together.

Of course I can always read the books again and undoubtedly will do and will enjoy them immensely as I did on first reading them. But there is nothing like acquainting yourself with something for the first time and relishing each delicious encounter between Fitz and the Fool, Chade etc afresh. A superb series of books with a fittingly ambitious and emotionally satisfying conclusion. A fantasy trilogy which though it lacks "Lord of the Rings" epic scale is every bit as good and should be adapted for the cinema if someone in film land has their head screwed on ....So that's a no then .

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era, 16 Oct. 2003
Rosslock "rosslock" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Fools Fate is the conclusion of the latest trilogy in the Farseer saga, and also the end of this particular Fantasy series. And I regret this very much.
Having read all 9 books in this series over the past 6 or 7 years it really feels a chapter has come to a close. What has struck me about this series is the incredible characters Ms Robin Hobb has created, with all of their feeling and emotions. This is not an all-action, blood and guts, swords and battles series (although all of these things feature at some point) but a very strong character based story about people.Fitz must be one of the most memorable characters ever created in the fantasy genre.
This book, as mentioned, takes the whole story to its conclusion. Although maybe not the best one out of all nine books it still pulls you back into the six Duchies (or the Outislands as that’s where most of this part is set) and it is very hard to let go. And my 5 star rating is as much for the whole series as it is for this book.
I am not going to draw any comparisons to other fantasy series but will just conclude with the fact that this series rates with me as a top fantasy series that I will whole heartily recommend to anyone interested in the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can i say?, 25 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
What can I possibly say to do justice to both this book and the author? This book kept me up until 5 o'clock in the morning, it was just impossible to put down without finding out what happened.
I cannot possibly dissect the story, admire the reality of the characters or the style of writing, simply because the whole book, in fact the whole series, is fantastic. It is equally hard to review this book standing alone rather than as part of a series, because to make total sense of everything that is going on you have to be aware of the history between the characters and the storyline that is continued from the previous eight books. To really do this book, and indeed the author, justice you need to start at the beginning and read the Assasins trilogy followed by the Liveship trilogy and then this final Farseers trilogy and form your own opinion.
Alright, I confess I am biased. I have now read all 9 books, eagerly awaited this final installment and I was only disappointed when I had finished it. This book will remain on my shelf as a firm favourite, along with the rest of the series, for a very long time, to be read and reread again and again.
I would recommend this book, indeed the whole series, to any reader who likes to be totally gripped and involved in both the story and the characters, my only regret is that this is the final book in this series. I can only hope that Robin Hobb continues to write equally good books in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew: she pulled it off!, 29 Oct. 2003
Kate (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have to confess that I was a little concerned at the end of Golden Fool that Ms Hobb had left herself with a bit too much to do. I was also interested to see how she'd deal with the "prince cuts dragon's head off" cliche.
Extremely well, is the answer. Fool's Fate turns the trilogy from a nostalgic reacquaintance with old friends into a dramatic and satisfying tale. Although the dragon cliche is the starting premise, quickly it becomes clear that it will link back to the original and complex dragon-based story from the previous two trilogies. I stand in awe of Robin Hobb's cleverness and the way she has managed to tie together so many strands.
The book is pacy and full of emotional ups and downs. And the melodrama is healthily balanced by brilliant writing, particularly when it comes to Fitz's complex relationship with the Fool. This, in my view, sets Robin Hobb's books apart from other writers in the genre. Her prose happily straddles the boundaries of literature and speculative fiction. All those who are slightly embarrassed by the stigma of being seen with a fantasy book, or worry that they won't be able to suspend their disbelief, should put their hesitation aside now for the sake of a damned good read.
So, if you want a riproaring page turner, this is for you. If you want a complex, beautifully written tale, this is for you. You simply can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 3 Dec. 2006
Anyasco (Poole, England) - See all my reviews
I really recommend this book to anyone considering buying it, the whole trilogy in fact. It's fantastic!

This book was the best in the trilogy. My only issue was that the ending was a bit...meh. I guess Fitz did deserve to have things turn out well, but I wish it wasn't so...cliche. Still that's a small thing compared to the rest of the book. My best part of it was the parting of Fitz and the Fool. I only say best because it was well written and heartwrenching. Otherwise I'd say sad. Have to admit there were a lot of teary moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye old friends, 29 Jan. 2011
I enjoy all types of books but haven't read fantasy widely. However I picked up Assassins Apprentice on the strength of Amazon reviews and found myself hooked. (I was lucky enough to purchase the three Tawny Man books when they were available on Kindle, lets hope the Kindle versions are re-issued soon) It's been over three weeks now since I finished Fools Fate and the characters still feel alive to me. Like an earlier poster I'm finding it hard to get into another book and have started listening to too much heartbreaking music! The five stars are for the Farseer, Liveship, Tawny Man series as a whole but while I loved reading them all it was perhaps this last trilogy that made me want to revisit all the others again. As other reviewers have commented, the book/series are not without flaws; the ending of Fools Fate does feel rushed to me for example, but don't let this put you off. Despite all I cannot remember when another story has made such a lasting impression on me,hence the five stars. Ms Hobb has a real gift of making her characters come alive and over the course of the six books (nine if you count the Liveship trilogy) one comes to laugh with, despise, give a good talking to or fall in love with some of her characters. (From a look around the various forums I don't think I'm alone in wanting to run away with one of them! ) There is a beautiful rhythm to her writing that just made me want to read some passages aloud. She is a master at depicting the nuances within relationships and manages to draw out the poignancy of a situation through the use of language and observations. Of course you shouldn't start with this book and if you haven't read Assassins' Apprentice go back and start with that -(although if you've got to this point I would guess you are already a fan.) I would recommend reading the Liveship trilogy in-between the Farseer and Tawny Man series. The story is very different but there's a link between them which for me enhanced the experience overall. If you are at that stage you have a treat in store but be prepared to have your emotions put through a wringer!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent finish to an amazing series, 10 Jan. 2005
Mr. RCS Young "rcsy" (Camberley, England) - See all my reviews
I love the way that Robin Hobb writes gritty, well formed characters and this series of books has been a delight. Fool's Fate had it's moments where I felt that it could have been tightened up a bit, but the author could happily say that she was merely trying to convey exactly how her characters were feeling as they worried, suffered and lost.
All the loose ends were carefully patted in to place (almost too carefully in some ways) from Starling to Hap to Patience. In many ways one feels that the author was putting them away lovingly like old friends.
And yet, ironically, the one characters fate that you never finally learn is of course the Fool's fate.
I am already mourning the fact that I will have to wait for some considerable time to read any new Robin Hobb work. Apparently she is working on a series tentatively titled "Soldier Son". It can't come fast enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating Conclusion, 24 Oct. 2003
The Final tale of the Farseer Legacy brilliantly encapsulates life, with all its pain,loss, laughter, and joy.
Hobb breathed life into characters so well that it felt as if just as the book has closed on the Fool and his Catalyst, a chapter has closed in my own personal life....
But with the hint that in life nothing is ever truly finished or gone. The possiblity of the future remains open and unknown, even to those who thought nothing more can happen and that their tale was over.
Thank you Ms. Hobb for some of the best written storytelling that I've ever come across. It takes alot to inspire an old cynic to gasp aloud in delight at a plot twist, cry at the passing of a friend, and smile through one's tears at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Got To End Eventually!!!!, 18 July 2004
What can I say? After eight books of gripping reading Robin Hobb finally delivers this, the climax to her farseer saga. Can the fool fulfil his task to set the world on a new and better path, or will the world be scurged by death and destruction? Hobb, throughout the series' writes achingly well to the extent that Fitz seems now to be an old aquaintance rather than a fictional character. This is indeed the pinicle from which all the previous books were heading towards and although there is a slight anti-climax this is one of the most gripping and beautifully written works I've read in a very long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Dec. 2005
A brilliant end to a brilliant trilogy - the best she has written so far. Wonderful characters and very well crafted plot. Robin Hobb is a brilliant author. She writes excellent fantasy without becoming too epic - a trap too many fantasy writers fall into. Read this book!

Fool's Fate (The Tawny Man Trilogy, Book 3): Book Three of the Tawny Man: 3/3