5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era
Fools Fate is the conclusion of the latest trilogy in the Farseer saga, and also the end of this particular Fantasy series. And I regret this very much.
Published on 16 Oct 2003 by Rosslock

3.0 out of 5 stars Fools fate
Not as good as some of the others but still ok I suppose, if you've read the previous books you will enjoy this
Published 14 months ago by eamon doherty

5.0 out of 5 stars The end of an era, 16 Oct 2003
Rosslock "rosslock" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having read all 9 books in this series over the past 6 or 7 years it really feels a chapter has come to a close. What has struck me about this series is the incredible characters Ms Robin Hobb has created, with all of their feeling and emotions. This is not an all-action, blood and guts, swords and battles series (although all of these things feature at some point) but a very strong character based story about people.Fitz must be one of the most memorable characters ever created in the fantasy genre.
This book, as mentioned, takes the whole story to its conclusion. Although maybe not the best one out of all nine books it still pulls you back into the six Duchies (or the Outislands as that’s where most of this part is set) and it is very hard to let go. And my 5 star rating is as much for the whole series as it is for this book.
I am not going to draw any comparisons to other fantasy series but will just conclude with the fact that this series rates with me as a top fantasy series that I will whole heartily recommend to anyone interested in the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for the magic!, 29 Mar 2005
This review is from: Fool's Fate (The Tawny Man Trilogy, Book 3): Book Three of the Tawny Man: 3/3 (Paperback)
This is the third and final book in the Tawny Man trilogy (after Fool's Errand and the Golden Fool).
Now that Dutiful has accepted the Narcheska's challenge, everyone is getting ready to sail to ice covered island of Aslevjal to slay Icefyre, the last male dragon. But the Fool wants to bring dragons back to the world and so he's strongly against the killing of Icefyre. Fitz is now torn between his duty to his future King and the love of his best friend the Fool. To cap it all, the latter has told him he's foreseen his own death on the glacier. Fitz and Chade have to do everything possible to prevent the Fool from accompanying them to the Out Islands.
The sea voyage to the city of Zylig, their first stopping place on the Out Islands, is not a pleasant one. Thick gets seasick and ill, and takes it all out on an already much guilt stricken Fitz, who's in charge of him. Day after day, the simpleton's Skill-music dampens the crew's spirits and threatens the whole expedition. Fitz will ask Nettle in her Skill-dreams to help Thick go through his ordeal.
They finally arrive at destination, to discover that the Out Islands political system is strongly matriarchal, with customs much different from those of the Six Duchies. There Prince Dutiful meets the hetgurd, a council of warrior clan chiefs and learn that they too are against the slaying of the dragon. Why then does Elliania want the dragon killed? Dutiful faces a terrible dilemma. Must he risk a political blunder? Finally the Prince decides be true to his word to his fiancée, and so they all set out to Aslevjal for a long trek to the heart of the glacier.
Again, what a fantastic, wonderful, amazing story! Of the ones that makes me wonder at the magic of books, and Robin Hobb's in particular: my eyes where following the words and lines and paragraphs, but my mind's eye was always elsewhere, holding on to the railing of a ship, walking on field of bright white snow, taking care not to fall into crevasses, in cold caverns of blue ice... I was seeing the events thought the characters' eyes, living the same emotions. I laughed, I cried of joy, I cried of pain and grief, I suffered with them. Like Fitz I grew fonder of Thick, I wanted to know more about Nettle... and I'm deeply in love with the Fool.
Oh Megan, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars What can i say?, 25 Jan 2004
By A Customer
What can I possibly say to do justice to both this book and the author? This book kept me up until 5 o'clock in the morning, it was just impossible to put down without finding out what happened.
I cannot possibly dissect the story, admire the reality of the characters or the style of writing, simply because the whole book, in fact the whole series, is fantastic. It is equally hard to review this book standing alone rather than as part of a series, because to make total sense of everything that is going on you have to be aware of the history between the characters and the storyline that is continued from the previous eight books. To really do this book, and indeed the author, justice you need to start at the beginning and read the Assasins trilogy followed by the Liveship trilogy and then this final Farseers trilogy and form your own opinion.
Alright, I confess I am biased. I have now read all 9 books, eagerly awaited this final installment and I was only disappointed when I had finished it. This book will remain on my shelf as a firm favourite, along with the rest of the series, for a very long time, to be read and reread again and again.
I would recommend this book, indeed the whole series, to any reader who likes to be totally gripped and involved in both the story and the characters, my only regret is that this is the final book in this series. I can only hope that Robin Hobb continues to write equally good books in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying , emotional and exciting end to Fitz,s story, 9 Jan 2007
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Really great art has the ability to leave you bereft. For instance when the Jam split up I was distraught. I was even more distraught when I heard the Style Council but the absence of that band( The Jam) from my life meant the future looked suddenly bleak. Of course I got over it, yet I still feel the same when certain things slip out of my life and I know I will never get that anticipation of re-joining them for new adventures. "Blackadder Goes Forth" got me like that and here's the rub, so did "Fools Fate".

I have followed the adventures, trials, tribulations and travels of royal assassin Fitz from the very first book "Assassins Apprentice" and though it sounds rather trite and shallow Fitz has become like a mate. I realise he's only a fictional character , that he doesn't in actual fact exist , but all the same I really , really care what happens to him. Fitz isn't perfect..he worries too much , he procrastinates and frets .In truth he needs to lighten up a bit but to me and no doubt countless other readers he is so beautifully drawn a character, as indeed are most the characters in Robin Hobbs books , that he could be real . We suffer with him, understand his frustrations and fears and revel in his rare moments of freedom and joy. In short we empathise.

Which is why , despite being completely bereft at reaching the conclusion of that last of the six books featuring Fitz Chivalry I was oddly moved and almost surreptitiously happy that he achieves some measure of peace and contentment at the end of his eventful journey throughout the "Six Duchies". The last volume is wonderfully written as always, with hugely satisfying plot strands alluding to events and characters from previous books while maintaining an insistent and mesmerising momentum to the proceedings that tie everything together.

Of course I can always read the books again and undoubtedly will do and will enjoy them immensely as I did on first reading them. But there is nothing like acquainting yourself with something for the first time and relishing each delicious encounter between Fitz and the Fool, Chade etc afresh. A superb series of books with a fittingly ambitious and emotionally satisfying conclusion. A fantasy trilogy which though it lacks "Lord of the Rings" epic scale is every bit as good and should be adapted for the cinema if someone in film land has their head screwed on ....So that's a no then .

5.0 out of 5 stars Most amazing trip of my life, 17 Jan 2005
How do you describe a series of books that have you laughing, crying and staying up until all hours of the night not wanting to let go for a moment? The last book in the Tawny Man series was superb and the last chapter I could hardly read through my tears. Truely truely the best writing I have read for along time. Her descriptions and observations are spot on.
When is the next trilogy out? Robin, thank you for 9 extraordinary books, a real pleasure, you stir the emotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Officially the best book I've ever read., 27 Mar 2004
Presumably if you're reading this review then you've already read the first 5 Fitz books (and if you haven't, then you should do). This is definitely the best, an absolutely wonderful end to the two trilogies. There is one point where you will think that Robin Hobb is such a terrible, horrible person, how could she do these things to the people you love so much? The ending! Oh the ending, you have to read it just for the ending, and there's so much to keep you entertained and on tenterhooks all the way up to the ending. I loved it. As you can see. It's very very exciting and emotionally involving. There are so many bits to keep you wondering, to keep you wanting to read on and on past your bedtime and past time to get up for work the next day. You're probably best buying the paperback version to avoid strain on your wrists from the weight of the thing. I can't tell you much about the book itself really, I mean the plot, because I don't want to give a single thing away. A truly wonderful book. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily excellent!, 9 Mar 2006
I sit on my bed in silent contentment and wonder. The last line passes through my mind over and over. Then the tears of joy stream. This book is officially the best book I have ever read. I have read Lord of the Rings but the emotional involvment in this book is unbeatable. I would read this book 100 times just to read the ending. It leaves a possibility of more books on the Fool but I think that Fitz's story is finished.... but what a finish. I would recommend this to anyone with any interest in fantasy. This book... this whole series beats Feist, Gemmell, Tolkien, and anyone else you care to name. They are all great authors but in my opinion this series and in particular this book, they all are unbeatable. 10/5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and worth the wait, 19 Nov 2003
Amazon Customer (Aberdeen, AberdeenShire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After being dissapointed with the end of the 1st trilogy, I was slightly dubious how this one would end. But it lived up to my expectations of Hobb one again. Loved reading more about the characters and how they would eventually link in to the other stories of her world. The only thing I regret is that it is finished.
Though I do hope that some of the characters will stick around in her next publications.
If you enjoyed the first few books, her writing is always intelligent and well formed. Inticing to the mind and the emotions.
Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent finish to an amazing series, 10 Jan 2005
Mr. RCS Young "rcsy" (Camberley, England) - See all my reviews
I love the way that Robin Hobb writes gritty, well formed characters and this series of books has been a delight. Fool's Fate had it's moments where I felt that it could have been tightened up a bit, but the author could happily say that she was merely trying to convey exactly how her characters were feeling as they worried, suffered and lost.
All the loose ends were carefully patted in to place (almost too carefully in some ways) from Starling to Hap to Patience. In many ways one feels that the author was putting them away lovingly like old friends.
And yet, ironically, the one characters fate that you never finally learn is of course the Fool's fate.
I am already mourning the fact that I will have to wait for some considerable time to read any new Robin Hobb work. Apparently she is working on a series tentatively titled "Soldier Son". It can't come fast enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phew: she pulled it off!, 29 Oct 2003
Kate (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have to confess that I was a little concerned at the end of Golden Fool that Ms Hobb had left herself with a bit too much to do. I was also interested to see how she'd deal with the "prince cuts dragon's head off" cliche.
Extremely well, is the answer. Fool's Fate turns the trilogy from a nostalgic reacquaintance with old friends into a dramatic and satisfying tale. Although the dragon cliche is the starting premise, quickly it becomes clear that it will link back to the original and complex dragon-based story from the previous two trilogies. I stand in awe of Robin Hobb's cleverness and the way she has managed to tie together so many strands.
The book is pacy and full of emotional ups and downs. And the melodrama is healthily balanced by brilliant writing, particularly when it comes to Fitz's complex relationship with the Fool. This, in my view, sets Robin Hobb's books apart from other writers in the genre. Her prose happily straddles the boundaries of literature and speculative fiction. All those who are slightly embarrassed by the stigma of being seen with a fantasy book, or worry that they won't be able to suspend their disbelief, should put their hesitation aside now for the sake of a damned good read.
So, if you want a riproaring page turner, this is for you. If you want a complex, beautifully written tale, this is for you. You simply can't go wrong.

Fool's Fate (The Tawny Man Trilogy, Book 3): Book Three of the Tawny Man: 3/3