4.0 out of 5 stars A book to relax and enjoy. Let others nitpick if they want.
This is a book for those who read strictly for pleasure, who can relax and allow the author to tell her story her way. Those who prefer to read critically and who consider themselves superior to those of us who are more relaxed and uncritical in our reading will find little technical details to grouse about.
Alice Borchardt's werewolves have a distinct difference...
Published on 10 July 2003 by Neal C. Reynolds

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I hoped, by picking this book up, that I would find an evocative and compelling read. I did not.
Published on 28 Feb 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars A book to relax and enjoy. Let others nitpick if they want., 10 July 2003
Neal C. Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
Alice Borchardt's werewolves have a distinct difference from those in other books. Her books portray the human personality and the wolf personality as two separate personalities in the same body, personalities who are compatable and able to communicate with each other. I liked this idea myself and felt it quite enhanced the tale.
Basically, this is the story of the heroine who's being used by her uncle and cousin to make them rich by marrying a barbarian noble and then in time killing him. But this is a gal who strives to be a liberated woman even in ancient Rome, and as such goes through several adventures both as a woman and as a wolf. The details are richly painted, and the action is fairly sustained throughout. It's a romance, but not too syrupy for us guys to appreciate. There are predictable elements here, but like I say, just relax and let the author tell her story and I think you'll enjoy it. (Unless you'd rather be a nitpicker).

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books i have read, 1 May 2013
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
I first read this book when i was about 14/15 and up until couple weeks ago couldn't remember the author or book title which was very annoying as i loved the book. I have re-read it and think i love it more now i'm older, so figured would do my first ever review on it so here goes.

The book is brilliantly written and makes it very easy to imagine, i could not put it down.

Personally i loved the fact that the book is set in Rome shortly after the demise of the Roman Empire as i have always wondered what it must have been like to be in that time after the extravagant lifestyle of the Roman's was fading . Borchardt described it in such a way that it really felt like i was there and could see exactly how everything was.

The story is both romantic and political at the same time which is refreshing. The story is about a young woman named Regeane who can turn into a wolf (most would say werewolf but i personally don't agree as there are only a few if any conventional traits of that of a werewolf..i could be wrong though). At the start of the book she is kept locked up by her uncle and his son who are both abusive and only care about money,booze,food and women...in that order. She manages to escape them and meets a powerful woman who later on takes her in, she also meets a leper and the Pope.She is also distantly related to Royalty and is set to be married to a Barbarian lord called Maeniel for access to the mountains and the safe passage through them that he has power over.

The characters were easy to love and hate, one point i wished i could just reach into the book and slap the hell out of her uncle.

The character i would say is my favorite would have to be Maeniel. All they way through the book before we are properly introduced to him builds Barbarian men up as overbearing, sometimes cruel and abusive with a tendency to sleep around but then he is brought in and is a complete gentleman and in all honesty the ideal male kind, caring, protective, charming, good looking, honorable and just really the full ideal package.

The only bad thing i can think to say is for me personally i would have liked it to have a bit more action and maybe more details from Maeneil's perspective for example, was he nervous about meeting Regeane as it came closer to him meeting her or did he stay calm?

Overall like i have said i loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes the supernatural, history, romance, action and political aspects.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and absorbing!, 21 Jan 2002
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
Wow, what a book.Alice Borchardt definately knows what the readers want. Truely absorbing from start to finish, I couldn't put it down! A tale of a shapeshifting woman set after the fall of ancient Rome is a refreshing change to everything I've ever read, i'd certainly recommend it to everyone who enjoys reading, for this book is a god send. I'll finish here because nothing i could write would ever do such a fantastic book justice!

5.0 out of 5 stars COMPLEX AND PACY, 16 May 2005
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
this book has a richly complex plot that drives the story forward.It tells the story of Regeane, a young woman with royal blood whose marriage to a border Lord is arranged by the King himself. Regeane, however, has a secret-she turns into a wolf. Held in captivity by her brutal uncle,she has no choice but to go along with their evil plans-but how can she hide her true nature from her intended husband-and how will he react if he finds out. This book was billed as a romance, but actually, Regeane and Maenial don't meet until nearly the end of the book. It focuses more on Regeane and her struggle to find freedom and happiness both as a woman and as a wolf. It is intriguing and beautifully written-a definite keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book in the world., 4 May 2000
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
The incredible plot will whisk you to another land of shapeshifters with the lead character, Regeane. The pproblems of this character causes any reader to a state of frenzy so that they wouldn't of put it down until the end. This book would probably need a follow up because anyone would want to know what happened to Regeane. Though a disappointing end i would have to rate this book as my favourite and i'd recommend it to anyone who likes horror and love in the same book.

5.0 out of 5 stars silver wolf book, 21 July 2013
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
these are not my usual read....fantasy, with weir wolves but really liked it...now i have the following two books to read...cant wait...

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 28 Feb 2003
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
After the rather obvious beginning there was a period when I felt the book was settling into a good rhythm. This rhythm was broken when the characters became unstable. They seemed compelled by unreasonable motives and all seemed on the edge of a nervous breakdown as none of them could view any incident without either overreacting or reacting in a way alien to their character as it had been previously built up.
Treated in the right way this could have been a very good book but I felt that it was pushed too hard.
This book left me with the sure knowledge that I would never be picking up another by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky!, 15 July 2000
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
After a shakey start, I really enjoyed this book and am looking forwards to buying it when my parents get round to it! Anyway, I really enjoyed the content, really interesting and absorbing reading. I'd recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book worth pressing on with., 4 Jan 2000
B. Adlington (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Silver Wolf (Paperback)
I nearly didn't get past the first chapter of this book; the opening introductions were fragmentary and didn't appear to flow well. Once I got past that though I was impresssed with the characterisation, the magnificent setting in a crumbling Rome but particularly the dialogue. The climax was suitably gripping and when I finally put it down I was well satisfied with the result. I have read a few Werewolf novels and so far this is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I couldn't put down, 12 Nov 2003
This is the first book I have read by this author - I found a member's list of favourite books and realised that I had the first eight mentioned already on my shelves and this was the next so I thought I would try it.
I was completely blown away by the rich imagery, the vivid descriptions and the clever, intricate story. I read it in one sitting! The characters are extraodinarily well drawn; the violent drunkard's sins and sorrows acknowledged as much as the ruthless side of a compassionate and understanding friend. The central character; the Silver Wolf herself is a marvellous character ranging from ingenue to mistress sometimes at a paw's turn - her dual nature creates her own downfall...and redemption.
I cannot think of a character to compare her to unless it is Elizabeth Moon's Paksennarion (The Sheep Farmer's Daughter Trilogy) who is also shown as complex and contradictory within a fictional world where by paying attention to the tiny details of how rain feels on skin or how mud smells, the author transports you.
The world of the Silver Wolf is much darker and subtler than that,however, and while I thought the ending everso slightly on the sentimental side (not having read the first book of the series)I found it enormously satisfying.

The Silver Wolf
The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt (Paperback - 15 Nov 1999)
Used & New from: 0.01