VINE VOICEon 20 April 2003
Hawaii is a stunning location and the calm aura of Lelani casts a spell.
VINE VOICEon 17 October 2001
I'm a big fan of Kathleen Ann Goonan and I really love this book. The writing in Queen City Jazz is undoubtedly more evocative, but this is more accessible and ultimately more satisfying.The two phases in the action are interwoven really well and it didn't interupt the narrative to keep hopping backwards and forwards. I found that the scicence behind it all is pitched at a reasonably comprehensible level, and the bits I didn't get were sufficently in context that you could tell what the effect of the was. One of the highlights of the book for me was the touching love story between Cen and Kaialani. Lynn makes an interesting heroine and is likable in her determination to see things through. Hawaii is a stunning location and the calm aura of Lelani casts a spell.
VINE VOICEon 20 April 2003
I'm a big fan of Kathleen Ann Goonan and I really love this book. The writing in Queen City Jazz is undoubtedly more evocative, but this is more accessible and ultimately more satisfying.The two phases in the action are interwoven really well and it didn't interupt the narrative to keep hopping backwards and forwards. I found that the sciencebehind it all is pitched at a reasonably comprehensible level, and the bits I didn't get were sufficently in context that you could tell what the effect of it was. One of the highlights of the book for me was the touching love story between Cen and Kaialani. Lynn makes an interesting heroine and is likable in her determination to see things through. Hawaii is a stunning location and the calm aura of Lelani casts a spell.