4.0 out of 5 stars End of an era...almost
Published on 4 Sep 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow and uneventful - just marking time?
Published on 20 Oct 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars End of an era...almost, 4 Sep 2001
This review is from: The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage) (Paperback)
Not surprisingly, this penultimate book of the Deverry series has a definite "end of an era" feel about it. The stories of Lilli and Bellyra reach their dramatic conclusion and many of the loose ends from the earlier books are tied into the overall plot with the usual attention to detail. Several previous characters manage to pop up unexpectedly, adding to the complexity of the story and adding the element of surprise to a plot which by its nature (reincarnation and fate) does have a degree of predictability. I would recommend the Deverry series to anyone who appreciates a complex plot but this is not a book which can stand alone. Start at the beginning (Daggerspell), but commit yourself to reading them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 3 Oct 2003
Mr. N. Phillips (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage) (Paperback)
This book boosts Katharine Kerr's ability to enthrall to an even higher level. Devoted followers of the Deverry series will not be disappointed with the turn of events in this book, as it begins to tie up storylines in the Civil War period and bring on exciting new twists in the present day. The result of Raena's revenge towards the end of the book is stunning and will leave the reader scrambling to get to Kerr's website to scour it for any extracts from the next book, The Gold Falcon. Read this book! That's all I can say!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent volume of the Dragon Mage series, 4 Sep 2001
This review is from: The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage) (Paperback)
It probably goes without saying that fans of this series will love this book. As the series gradually draws to a conclusion, some unexpected threads are tied up here. The first part of the book continues - and brings to a head - the story of Bellyra, Prince Maryn and Lilli and the curse left behind by her mother. The continuing saga of Rhoddry, Dallandra and Arzosah forms the second part of the book - taking Evandar and Rhoddry into very new ground! I loved this book - it has more than whetted my appetite for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed this book, 15 Dec 2000
I had been waiting for this book for what seems a very long time. The twists of the plot and the characters in the different timelines are quite difficult to follow. I would recommend re-reading at least the previous book in the series to get reaquainted with the stories (I went back to A Time of Exile and really enjoyed rereading them all) I couldn't put this down in the end and sat up 'til past midnight to finish the last few chapters.
I can't wait for the next one now - will it really be the last of the series? The conclusion of so many of the stories do seem to lean to some sort of fantastic finale waiting to happen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A continuing tale...., 23 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I just want the next installment!!!!
The 1st part of this book is extremely good, fairly neatly wrapping up one of the "old" story lines, that of the civil war.... in a rather bloody mess that explains some of the things that are mentioned later... (Such as the Boars, which is delt with as mearly a side note) It seems to take on a certain Authurian feel to the end of this tale.
The second part of the book I felt personaly was a bit of a let down.... It seemed to be rather slow and pendulous, making rather big jumps at times... (can't really say to much without spoiling the book for those still to read it). I did like the twist in Rhodri's wyrd but felt that it was a bit rushed (not the situation but the writting), and it really was scene setting in a big way...
Anyway this book is definatly worth reading as part of the series... (wouldn't recommened it as a stand alone, you would be missing the rich and wonderful tale that is being told in full) but while it deals nicely with the earlier story line the "present" story line is left hanging weakly I felt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Part of a series, 15 Feb 2013
MD (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage) (Paperback)
This book is part of a series and was bought as a gift. It was in excellent condition and I now have the full series to give when I next visit the lucky recipient.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fire Dragon, 19 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage) (Paperback)
Well,obviously having read the previous books in the series I was always going to like this.I recommend reading all the previous books by Katharine,a very accomplished author

5.0 out of 5 stars Left a powerful impression, 8 Feb 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage) (Paperback)
The third book in the Dragon Mage sequence. In this book we spend about half of our time in the past, concluding the storyline concerning Lillorigga, princess Bellyra, Maddyn the bard and the prince Maryn. The second half of the book shifts the plot forwards concerning Rhodry, Dallandra, Niffa, Raena and the dragon Arzosah.

In my opinion this is by far the best book written by Katharine Kerr in the whole Deverry series. I was gripped throughout. Of necessity considering the curse of the dweomer tablet, the first half of the story was bleak and heartbreaking. A number of my very favourite characters from this particular timeline came to fairly dire ends, which left me close to tears. Each of the various characters was treated with respect, except for Maryn and Oggyn - by the end of this section, it became very easy to hate both of them.

I was mightily relieved that Rhodry's story pushed forwards - but the ending to the book also left me near weeping with how sad, and yet how appropriate it was. Rhodry truly stepped forward to save the people he both cared for and had grown apart from. He and Arzosah became true soul mates in terms of how they viewed each other.

The other character that came into her own in this novel was Dallandra. I made no secret in my reviews of the previous Deverry books that I held a great dislike for this Elven dweomer master. Her treatment of Aderyn and the way she pandered to Evandar's every whim annoyed me intensely, and every part of her journey seemed particularly boring in comparison to the other threads of the story that were occurring. However, here she became a compassionate and wise teacher, someone who put others before herself and sought only to do what is right - including trying at the very end to redeem Raena.

This novel left a very powerful impact, and I sense that Kerr is starting to unwind the real crux of the Deverry tale. I look forward eagerly to more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to vintage Katharine Kerr, 29 Nov 2000
By A Customer
Like other reviewers I felt that the prevous two books in the series were a bit plodding and agreed with the Robert Jordan comparison, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. While perhaps not as brilliant as the earlier books in the series I found it was a book I couldn't put down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow and uneventful - just marking time?, 20 Oct 2000
By A Customer
Having looked forward for some time to the continuation of the Deverry saga, I have to say that I found much of the most recent offering to be surprisingly dull and lacking in pace. When last we met, Dalla, Rhodry et al had just survived a horrific siege by the Horsekin, and several promising storylines were set up by the disappearance of Haen Marn, the departure of the dragon etc. The stage therefore seemed set for a pacy continuation, but this has not materialised. On the plus side, there is some character development, but very little happens, and most of the 'modern' part of the book appears to be concerned with setting the stage for the next instalment, instead of giving a worthwhile story in the present. The only genuine surprise is Rhodry's wyrd - most of the modern characters seem pale and tired, and very little space is given to the more interesting ones from previous books, such as Carra. Has Kerr perhaps been taking a leaf out of Robert Jordan's recent efforts? On the plus side, the first half of the book, which continues the Bellyra/Maryn/Lilli saga, is much more interesting, probably because something actually happens to them, and because Nevyn is a better developed character than Dallandra. I realise that this will probably be incomprehensible to persons who are unfamiliar with the series, but at this stage, the story is far too convoluted to try to explain in one short review. Readers who have read the earlier books will know what I am talking about, and those who have not may take this as a hint to start with them - to both, I will only say, I wouldn't rush out to buy this instalment - the writing is turgid and the plot development just about nil. Wait for the library copy!

ARRAY(0xa9bdb7d4)

The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage)
The Fire Dragon (Dragon Mage) by Katharine Kerr (Paperback - 4 July 2011)
8.99