4.0 out of 5 stars Katherine Kerr delivers a top notch performance once again!!
Published on 14 Jan. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to her usual high standard
Published on 13 Sept. 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Katherine Kerr delivers a top notch performance once again!!, 14 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
The tenth installment of Katherine Kerr's epic Deverry Cycle, The Black Raven, will not disappiont lovers of the previous nine. Kerr once again weaves a story full of magic, mystery, romance and feudal warfare to keep readers spellbound from the first page to the last! The Black Raven continues the stories left off by The Red Wyvern - in both Deverry of the 800's and of the 1100's and in Cerr Cawnen. The Black Raven adds a new dimension to the tale of the Deverry Civil War, introducing Prince Maryn's less favouable personality traits, updates Rhodry and Dallandra's positions in the war with the Horsekin, and also returns to Cerr Cawnen and the story of young Niffa's plight. The stories are masterfully written and flawlessly woven together in true Katherine Kerr style - a brilliant book all round that leaves you virtually panting in anticipation for the next book. Read it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing!, 9 Sept. 2002
MISS S A MUHAMMAD (Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This amazing epic goes from strength to strength and Katherine Kerr never fails to amaze me. The plot thickens and the book had me desperately awaiting the next trip to the bookshop in dire need to read the next installment. A brilliant read which Intertwines Celtic Mythology and the Dark Ages to create a superb fusion between the both - a must read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good cut above the ordinary, but...., 16 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
I've read all of the previous books in the series and have immensely enjoyed them all, so I was waiting for The Black Raven with not a great deal of patience.
Was it worth the wait?? Probably. I don't know if it is just that I have re-read the others so often that by their very familiarity they seem richer and more detailed, but I felt that this book was a little hastier and less well drawn. Perhaps it was that it was so much shorter than the other novels (by at least 100 pages) and as a very fast reader I like my books to be BIG!
I'd still recommend it, but I'd be interested to see whether other Deverry fans agree that this is maybe starting to lack a certain something ...

5.0 out of 5 stars The fire is once again blazing, 24 Nov. 1999
By A Customer
I only finished reading the previous 9 books in this series a couple months ago and I felt that they were starting to lose the certain something that caught my attention in the first few. THE BLACK RAVEN has recaptured what I fell in love with in this series. It explains some things that were merely hinted at in other books and developed a number of characters much more who were merely introduced before. The cliff hanger left in this book is not uncommon in this series and I noticed that with nearly every book in it. The climax of many of the books comes at the end, but I've come to accept that. I eagerly await the next couple books. My only complaint was this book was too short.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to her usual high standard, 13 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
I've thoroughly enjoyed the Deverry series and would recommend it to anyone, but this book was a disappointment. I got the impression that Ms Kerr is doing a 'Robert Jordan' and just extending the series to cash in, especially as the most exciting parts are at the end and just serve to introduce the next book. Katharine Kerr is capabable of the very best - just read all the other Deverry books and Palace and you'll see. I hate to say this as I've loved her other books so much, but if you don't want to spoil the feeling of perfection it might be worth considering the series finished with the last book. You MUST read the rest of the series if you haven't already though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be an historical novel, 8 Feb. 2010
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Black Raven (Dragon Mage, No 2) (Paperback)
The second book in the Dragon Mage sequence from Katharine Kerr. Once again, we spend the majority of the book in the past, exploring Lillorigga's burgeoning dweomer power and her relationship to the various souls who she is destined to encounter again when she becomes Niffa in the future. At the moment it is fairly confusing trying to keep straight who is who in both the past and the current incarnations. The only person who I can really keep straight is Maddyn the bard (in the past) becoming Rhodry Maelwaedd (in the current), and this is due to the silver rose ring.

Once again I would urge anyone interested in this book to trek right back to the beginning of the books (starting with Daggerspell). Kerr herself has explained that her books should be seen almost as three acts in a play, or as a Celtic knot, whereby the complicated pattern will only become clear once you have seen the whole.

Although I adore spending time in the past - particularly with Lillorigga, who I believe to be one of Kerr's strongest characters - in this instance I became frustrated with the fact that Rhodry's story has not progressed AT ALL in two books. He is still sitting in Cengarn, waiting for the longest winter in the world to end so that his plot can move forward. The only times we ever visit Rhodry is so that we can be introduced to a particular storyline from the past, such as why Raena and Rhodry feel such enmity.

Saying this, the book is still worthy of four stars in my opinion, because Kerr writes the past so beautifully. In fact, barring the few outright mentions of dweomer or Wildfolk, this could be a very strong historical novel about Celtic times. She brings to life the politics, the in-fighting, the heraldry, the weaponry. It is very easy to enjoy all of the little details that she adds. One I would mention is the fact that the characters only know medicine and surgery as much as though living in those times for real would know. So, when the princess Bellyra is suffering from postnatal depression, Nevyn talks about her humours being out of balance. I also love how he ponders why some wounds fester, while others don't, and why blood can be different colours depending on where the body is cut in battle. This is all matters that you would expect chirurgeons of the time to be frustrated by.

Nevyn was also a deeply welcome return to the Deverry books, both in this novel and the previous. During the Westlands cycle he was absent and I found Jill unable to fill his shoes. Despite his massive dweomer power, he is wise and compassionate and enjoys the details of people's lives. He takes apprentices willingly and with patience. He is definitely one of the strongest parts of the Deverry series and it is a joy to read more of him.

All in all, really enjoyed this and cantered through the rather slight volume (in comparison to prior books in the series). Looking forward to the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kerr at her best......., 20 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
What more can i say..... From the first page I have had to get friends/ family to risk death by physicaly removing this book from my hands so I can do things like eat and go to the toilet...
A couple of annoying things about this book... there is no map!! and it doesn't list the name chart *ARGH* had to go back to old books to check these which was annoying but beyond that I LOVED it...
This is not a book for someone new to Kerr as its part of an on going unfolding set of books (this is number 9 out of 13... and as fast paced and captivating as the rest of her novels (no getting lost in the middle like certain other saga writers I could mention) Do your self a favour if you have not read any Kerr and do so... you will be hooked

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, shame about the kindle version, 7 Jun. 2013
I love Katherine Kerr's Deverry books and this is no exception however I want to review the kindle edition. This book is riddled with spelling errors, grammatical problems, numbers instead or letters and worst of all even duplicates pages of the text. I think it must be some automated process to digitise these books but it totally takes you out of the wonderful world Katherine has created. Please get a proof reader to sort out this! 5 stars for the story, 1 star for the digital conversion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series, 26 May 2014
This review is from: The Black Raven (Dragon Mage, No 2) (Paperback)
Bought this used. Received quickly and in good condition. Love the series, particularly the way the stories of the characters are built up by moving backwards and forwards through the volumes, concentrating on a specific period of there lives, and incarnations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 29 Sept. 2014
Funny, really - there's not all that much that happens in this book, but all together it makes a really enjoyable and satisfying read. Besides which, I think it has the best cover illustration of the whole series.

The Black Raven (Dragon Mage, No 2)
The Black Raven (Dragon Mage, No 2) by Katharine Kerr (Paperback - 9 Sept. 2011)