5.0 out of 5 stars This book taught me to see as an artist sees
Published on 29 Oct 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars concern re book origins
book is fine, good condition, seems helpful.
However it had a library spine label (the Dewey Decimal classification number) and a library label stuck to the inner page (the one that gets stamped when a book is borrowed).
I used to work in a library, old book stock does get sold to the general public but these are clearly stamped inside when they are withdrawn...
Published on 21 Nov 2010 by Cressi

5.0 out of 5 stars This book taught me to see as an artist sees, 29 Oct 2001
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down.....it was as though veils were systematically being removed from my eyes as I realised that the reason that I was never any good at art at school was because I had never been taught how to see the world as an artist sees it. Once I had begun to do the well- described exercises, I very quickly started to produce drawings that amazed myself and my family . My sister has even asked me to do a series of pencil drawings to frame and hang in her lounge ! I am indebted to Betty Edwards for her inspirational yet down to earth approach to unlocking the artistic potential that we all have if we'd only take the time to realise it.Now that I can draw I am learning (from books and videos) how to paint with watercolours....something I have longed to do for years . Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Drawing Bible !, 24 July 2000
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
This book is fantastic, one of the best purchases I have made on-line. I always wished that I could be good at drawind and always thought that you had to be born with talent, however someone reccomended this book so I thought I would try it out, I was totally amazed by the transformation of my drawing skills. Betty gets you to draw a few things at the start of the book, and at the end you will be totally amazed at your skill in drawing. Betty shows you how to see things with one side of your brain that is not used when drawing, she does this by getting you to practice some exercises that the other side of the brain can't cope with. After you have tried the exercises your drawing skills improve immensley as you can see things that you wouldn't normally see before. I couldn't draw to save my life but after about two weeks with this book im amazed at the results. For me this is the drawing bible without it I would never have realised a hidden talent that I had. If you wish you could draw then you owe it to yourself to get this book, You will be totally amazed with your new found skill !

5.0 out of 5 stars The best drawing instruction book ever written!, 27 Mar 2001
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I've read many instruction books which claim to be for beginners and then make the presumption that you can already draw to a greater or lesser extent and just go straight into explaining human anatomy and other subjects. Betty's book is the first one to actually take me through the procedure of seeing things as lines that you can put onto paper, as opposed to named objects, and the importance of measuring distances. I ended up with a pretty good portrait of David Duchovny by the end of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing.. it works!, 17 Aug 2000
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
When I decided to approach a drawing board (a wacom tablet on a PC actually) i thought it was impossible for me to draw anything but abstract figures. Then i got this book and now i'm convinced i can learn and i get good results! Believe me, if I can do it you can do it! If you want to learn from the basics how to see and to draw get this one and enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most valuable and fascinating books I have read, 17 Dec 1998
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
After many years of teaching people to draw, Betty Edwards is convinced that anyone who has learned handwriting can also learn to draw. That means anyone. Without exception. She has linked her teaching experience to research on the differing nature and functions of the left and right sides of the brain. Learning to draw from this book involves following a series of exercises which lead the reader through perception of edges, spaces, relationships and lights and shadows. The emphasis throughout is upon the development of perception. The more recent edition of the book also contains a useful chapter on colour. When I started working through this book in 1996 I had had no tuition in any aspect of art since leaving school many years ago. Having completed all of Betty Edward's exercises, I can now draw well and accurately, and, perhaps best of all, I have learned to see what is around me in a way that I could not previously. This book taught me to draw and gave me the confidence to enrol on a course in painting.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent insight., 7 May 2007
sjd (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I bought this book a number of years ago and read it from cover to cover. It offers a fascinating insight into the artist's world. It has simple, easy to follow exercises to train your brain into using the cognative processes needed to draw realistically.

I had been drawing for years, and it was a great delight to read that I was approaching drawing in the way the book details. However, the most useful aspect of the book to me was that it enabled me to understand what I was doing unconsciously and therefore be able to communicate these skills and ideas with others. Often when you can do something naturally, you do not know how or why you are doing things! This book explains it all. I have now been using the techniques and ideas in the book to teach children as young as four years old to draw in a more realistic and artistic style. The results are quite amazing. Any teachers out there like myself would find this book extremely useful and fulfilling.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really works!!, 25 Nov 1998
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I'd heard of this book but I don't believe too much in the theory. Recently I started a drawing class, and one of the other students lent me this book - you have to work through the examples and be willing to go into a sort of trance where your eye and your hand work together whilst your normal brain thinking shuts down - the results are FANTASTIC! I now believe that everyone can draw, as long as you detach from recognising: as soon as you say "the left eye" for example, you draw as bad as usual, but when you let normal thinking go to sleep, your hand can move precisely to the shapes your eye sees. It is like magic, but you are simply connecting visual brain directly to motor brain without talking brain in the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 8 Dec 2008
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
This book is fantastic! i wanted to learn to draw and this book was recommended to me. It has some great but easy techniques to get you started. I highly recommend it - it changes the way you look at things when you draw allowing you to produce better quality and more accurate pictures. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely life-changing book, 23 July 2008
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
I'm in my forties and like most people had the drawing abilities of a ten-year-old. This book has taught me to draw. Here is how it works. The left side of our brain is concerned with words, time, language. The right side is more about spacial perception and is where our drawing ability resides. Trouble is that left side tends to throw itself into every task, even when its not best suited to it. This book teaches you to make a cognitive shift from left to right - unleashing your own inherent drawing skill. It also unleashes a certain amount of non-drawing artistic creativity and is even on a par with meditation. I hope that doesn't sound too Californian and put you off! Once you learn how to make the shift you lose yourself in the drawing, forget time passing and when you are finished come our calm and alert. And with a drawing you'll be proud of. Amazing.

The book splits between theory and exercises to teach you how to make the shift.

The problem with left brain drawing is that as that side is concerned with words and language, when you look at say a nose, it names it then gives you a symbol of what a nose is. You end up drawing the symbol instead of the nose in front of you. "Yes yes thats a nose, here's a nose," says the left brain.

The right brain however just sees lines and spatial relationships, so you end up drawing what the nose in front of you looks like rather than what your brain thinks it should look like.

It all starts with exercises which confuse the left side. It soon gives up and shuts off letting the right side take over. You will be astonished at what suddenly comes out from under your pencil. Then the exercises move on to give you more control over making that cognitive shift at will rather than by bamboozling yourself first.

Its tricky to describe. You really should try it. This is a book that has had a huge impact on my life and it will probably have the same on yours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instructive book, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (Paperback)
A strange title but having read the book, you can understand why. A lot can be learned from this book and it remains an excellent reference book too.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards (Paperback - 15 Nov 1993)
Used & New from: 0.01