1.0 out of 5 stars A misleading title hides a very boring book, 12 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Inside Intelligence: The Revelations of an M16 Officer (Paperback)
I bought this book with a genuine interest in the subject. If this book is anything to go by, Antony Cavendish must have been a very good MI6 agent indeed, as it completely fooled me. TWO, count 'em, TWO chapters on MI6 and the rest of the book on his journalistic and banking career! This isn't to say it isn't well written, nor interesting, it's just not what the book promised. There is no portrayal of the service, no desire to reveal the mechanics of an organisation we know so little about. Sorry, Andrew, but I don't really care if you became head of a merchant of bank. Tell you what, those intelligence boys really are masters of disguise! This one disguised a bad book as a good one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just passes muster!, 6 Nov 2013
Mr. S. Storey "eats beans" (not at work) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Despite the title, don't expect a groundbreaking expose of the intelligence world; I didn't and I found this a pleasant read. Cavendish presents an interesting account of his journey through an interlinked world of intelligence, journalism and international banking. I thought the writing style was punchy and informative although I understand that he can't tell you everything (can any of these guys?) I found more than enough to satisfy my curiosity. Why do the marketing people have to make such outlandish claims on the jackets though?

Inside Intelligence: The Revelations of an M16 Officer
Inside Intelligence: The Revelations of an M16 Officer by Anthony Cavendish (Paperback - 21 July 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01