4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 27 Dec 2010
Mr. R. J. A. Pettinger (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a fascinating account of an unusual character. Sir Francis certainly had an extraordinary life - from leading an invasion of Tibet to profound mystical experiences. Patrick French does a very good job in sharing this story. You feel he is sympathetic, but doesn't slip into hagiography and is careful to let the facts speak for themselves. If I had one criticism, it would be mingling his own story of writing the book amidst the life of Younghusband. This story and writing was fine, but I would have preferred reading the life of Younghusband without interruption.

5.0 out of 5 stars adventure and misadventrure, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: Younghusband: The Last Great Imperial Adventurer (Paperback)
I was lucky enough to have my own adventure in Tibet in 1993. Crossing through thousands of miles of forbidden territory across Tibet, I developed a love of the country and its people. It was during my time in Gyantse (Tibet) that I heard of Younghusband for the first time. I possibly should have known more about it, but was more captivated by the inaccessibility and mystery of the country. When this book was first published I bought it and learnt about this great Imperial adventurer. I didn't feel I liked him much, with his colonial and jingoistic tendencies.

I have just read the book again. Having read more widely about Tibet, the Great Game and exploration of Central Asia I wanted to refresh my knowledge of Younghusband. Not only did I feel more forgiving of Younghusband this time, I also thoroughly enjoyed reading the book. I found it difficult to put down. This is a really well written biography and the style almostr incorporates an element of travelogue with French retracing Younghusband's steps. It's an approach that I enjoyed, as it keeps the reading fresh and the events of a hundred years ago in a modern context.

Younghusband certainly filled his life to the max. The diversity between his activity and attitudes before and after the invasion of Tibet is marked. Patrick French has left no stone unturned in trying to paint an accurate picture of a complicated person at an interesting time in history at the end of Empire

5.0 out of 5 stars The last great imperial adventure, 15 Feb 2014
Great fun to read, you have to concentrate to get the humour but it is worth it for the laughs

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding: the final curtain in the Great game!, 14 July 2013
History meets adventure and dreams meet reality. A well documented book on the last trespasser on the roof of the world,

4.0 out of 5 stars a fantastic life, 23 July 2009
for someone to have covered so much in their life - from soldier of Empire to interwar mystic. French gets the detail right

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 20 Jan 2011
absolutely fantastic, you are almost in the man,s shoes as you read this. it made me go to his grave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Dec 2014
Would use Again condition as described

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read, 14 Dec 1998
By A Customer
This is the most brilliant piece of writing sustained by the lovely voice of Patrick French. It is an enthralling extraordinary story and I fell in love with Patrick and had to ration myself so I didn't finish it too quickly. Buy it.

Younghusband: The Last Great Imperial Adventurer
Younghusband: The Last Great Imperial Adventurer by Patrick French (Paperback - 21 Jun 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01