on 20 July 2010
I have given or loaned out more copies of this book than any other during the course of my pastoral ministry. It was given to me during a period of real difficulty and helped enormously. The description of the spiritual life as three movements: towards ourselves, a movement from loneliness to solitude; towards others, a movement from hostility to hospitality; and towards God, a movement from illusion to prayer; is helpful in itself. The book also builds from one section to the next, showing that each movement is dependent on the other. We can't move towards others if we are still struggling to meet our own loneliness because we will then use others rather than giving to them. Loneliness is a universal human experience and I would warmly commend this book not only to Christians, but to anyone with a sense that there is more to life than the material world. Nouwen's treatment of Psalm 4 in section three, illustrating that very often true prayer is about knowing ourselves before God is superb.
on 3 December 2010
This merits deep study. Written from the author's own experience in terms that are easily understood, this approach does more than ask us to listen carefully to ourselves, it takes us out into the world to welcome the stranger and out into the listening arms of God. To try to grasp the richness of this work I have read it twice and then written a seven page summary. This work can be life changing if one has the courage to empty one's self, to be still and to listen without intrusion.
on 12 January 2001
Explores three spiritual tensions - between loneliness and solitude; hostility and hospitality; illusion and prayer. Or, reaching out to ourselves, to others, and to God.
on 7 October 2007
The author, Henri J.M. Nouwen, is a Catholic Priest and writer. In this book he outlines three stages of spiritual growth: reaching out to one's self, then to others, and, finally, to God. He offers examples from literature, scripture, and life to help listeners through struggles with inner restlessness of faith. Anyone from any walk of life that has an interest in understanding a Christian's spiritual life can benefit from this book. Do your self a favor and read this small book.
on 2 October 2015
Can only recommend. Fans of Nouwen will live it, and if you haven't met him before, try this if you are wanting to deepen your relationship with God.
on 3 May 2013
I bought it for my wife, who has found it very helpful. It contains excellent descriptions of the principles of Christian life.
on 21 June 2015
My wife had looked everywhere for this and I found it for her on Amazon. Earned all kinds of kudos so a big thank you. Good purchasing experience.-Well done!!.
on 2 April 2014
I am collecting Henri Nouwen's books and was recommended this by a friend. Great to be able to buy it on line. Many thanks
on 20 January 2016