5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best - Simple, deep, yet in easy language, 26 Feb 2001
This review is from: God in the Dock (Paperback)
CS Lewis did it again! A great great book that it easy to understand, yet goes in the most inspired and un-biased looks at Christian Faith.
Chapters such as 'The Grand Miracle', 'Religion and Science' and 'No right to happiness' Challenge us to think beyond our own presumptions, while those like 'The trouble with X' meet us just where we are all at - as humans - to make us stop and think about our lives...
One of the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good sampling of Lewis' writings, 18 Dec 2011
It's hard to summarize a book of essays on diferent subjects, but I'll try.

There are four parts:

Part One -- 23 essays.

Part Two -- 16 essays

Part Three -- 9 essays.

Part Four -- letters Lewis wrote, along with some answers.

These essays cover many subjects. He was profound and thorough Christian writer. I grew up in a strong Christian home and I've read a lot of good Christian authors, but this book has influenced me deeply.

These were the essays that stood out to me:

1. Essay #13 on page 114 (Section one)

2. Essay #1 on page 189 (Section 2)

3. Essay #3 on page 196 (also Section 2) which contains one of the best treatments I've ever read on the subject of politics and religion.

It was a real boost to my Christian faith, and I've worn out two copies of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good compilation of hard to find essays, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: God in the Dock (Paperback)
Well worth picking up an older copy of this. The clarity and logic of his arguments shine through and although he was writing for a better educated audience, every piece is as relevant today as when he wrote them.

Of particular interest are the essays which touch on the relationship between Christianity and Science, a subject which has more recently come alive again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
good book

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian logic at its best, 14 Feb 2014
Reid Reader (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
It's sad that this book is not more widely available! Should appeal to non Christians because of the undeniable logic and Christians alike!! Should be compulsory reading!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 19 Nov 2013
Thought provoking, clear and true explorations of many questions often unanswered by others. I have read the essays a number of times and get something knew each time.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better Lewis anthologies, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: God in the Dock (Paperback)
[Throughout the years, I have written a number of reviews that have never been published online on Amazon. These writings comprise two types of reviews: unfinished reviews, abandoned during various stages of composition, and completed reviews that for life reasons were never posted. Of the later type, back in September 2001 I wrote a cache of work, a full sixteen reviews* of several different C. S. Lewis books which have never been released. I have issued these reviews in October 2012 on Amazon.com, over a decade after they were initially written. However, these reviews were heavily edited and in several instances radically and drastically revised. I am publishing these reviews now for the first time in their original, unrevised format as written in 2001, with bracketed additions added for occasionally necessary clarification. Mike London 10-23-2012]

God in the Dock, a collection of essays issued posthumously, stands as an important contribution to the Lewis canon. In "Myth Becomes Fact," with is the fifth essay in the collection, is one of the keys to understanding one of Lewis's (and Tolkien's as well) central concern: myth as it relates to human beings.

By myth, Lewis argues, we are both able to experience the concrete and experience abstraction as well. Christ is the supreme myth, but, more important than that, it is also true in the primary world. People are meant to crave myth and this longing for something more real, and that answer is Christ.

I believe in the archetypal ideologies and the Jungian ideas. Much of the patterns we see in mythology are repeated across the cultures and civilizations, regardless of race, geography, economics, and other factors that shape a nation's identity and political power.

That is the central reason why Christianity hangs on as it has. It is mythology in the sense that it contains several of the facets of mythology, but also it is true in the primary world as well. While the objections, etc, have died away to Christianity, it still lingers and will continue to do so.

*(These reviews covered all seven books of "The Chronicles of Narnia", the three novels of "The Space Trilogy", "The Abolition of Man", "The Four Loves", "A Preface to Paradise Lost", a revised version of my 2000 review of "Till We Have Faces", "Surprised By Joy", and "The Screwtape Letters".)

5.0 out of 5 stars A collection of short pieces by this distinguished writer, 15 Dec 2012
PHILIP ANSTEY (Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God in the Dock (Paperback)
In choosing this book, I think I was misled by thinking it contained something about the observance of Christmas. However, I still found it of great interest, and read it through in an unusually short time.

God in the Dock
God in the Dock by C. S. Lewis (Paperback - 29 Mar 1979)
Used & New from: 0.01