Format: Paperback|Change

Beautiful but poor Parisiene Noelle Page falls madly in love with American flyer Larry Douglas during WWII. When she becomes pregnant, he deserts her, thus setting her on a path of revenge that consumes her very being. Ruthlessly driven, she becomes a supermodel, movie star, and finally, as mistress to mega-rich Constantin Demeris, Noelle is reunited with Larry. Will she make him pay for what he did to her... or will she fall under his spell again?

Noelle, Larry, and his innocent wife, Catherine, are such fascinating, memorable characters that you won't want to stop reading until you find out what happens to them next. The story takes us to Paris, Hollywood, and Athens, as Noelle comes closer to tying up loose ends with the dastardly Larry, who proves to be her match when it comes to plotting evil. But don't underestimate Noelle's lover, Demeris, who will use all of his resources to get what he wants.

This is my favorite Sidney Sheldon novel. Fans who love his fast-paced, exciting stories are sure to enjoy The Other Side of Midnight.
VINE VOICEon 31 January 2007
I actually read this book some time ago but have never forgotten how totally gripping it was. When I heard today that Sidney Sheldon had died, I wanted to record how much I had enjoyed his novels. This was the first I read and it inspired me to read many of his others, but this one remains my favourite. I liked the device of telling the story from the different points of view of the various characters and was completely absorbed by it. OK so it may not be high literature, but at times we all need some escapism, and this fits the bill perfectly.
on 26 May 2011
This was the first Sidney Sheldon book I read and the only one I can honestly say was truly good - although I read several others on the strength of this. I had been told about it in advance by a girl who had read it. I was 17 and she was 16 at the time. It was quite funny really because she had forgotten the title and the author and had to be reminded of the title by a friend, but still couldn't remember the author. She had read the book in America, but I couldn't find it in the shops.

I was so anxious to read it on the strength of the praise she had lavished on it (and its somewhat beguiling title) that she feared that I would be disappointed when I actually read it. Eventually I got my hand on a second-hand copy and read it. I have to admit that I got a real surprise from the ending - which was all the more impressive because he had laid out the clues. It's just that it wasn't presented as a mystery, so there was no hint that there was going to be any sort of surprise at the end.

I read several other Sidney Sheldon books - the next one (Stranger in the Mirror) in one 12 hour session. But none of them were anything like as good as this one. After that I was on a high for a long time and found that most other books didn't live up to the high-octane intensity of this one.

One thing that I have never particularly liked about Sidney Sheldon is that there is an element of amorality about his stories. I don't mean sexual morality, I just mean that in his stories it is neither good or evil that triumphs but rather some sort of amorphous in-between state. But then again maybe that is realism.

The trouble is that this book corrupted me in another sense. Up until then I had high aspirations to be a literary author. After I read this one, I wanted to write exciting, racy-pacy bestsellers. And I learned my technique from this book. For example, ever since I read this book, I have been very conscious of the value of a real kick-in-the-ribs surprise ending. And three decades later I learned from a writer Sheldon inspired - Dan Brown - of the value of ending chapters on cliff-hangers.

So all in all a good read, but enjoying it - for me at least - came at a high price.
on 3 January 2002
I found this book very hard to get into as it told of different people making their journey to a trial. Who was murdered and the second person being tried it didn't tell us. But after the main chapters started I found I didn't want to put the book down. Each chapter concentrated alternately on one of the two female characters.The first time this happened I groaned outwardly, as we had been allowed so deeply into the thoughts of the first girl and wanted to stay with her all the way through. But then also felt the same for the second girl. Today I heard of a sequel and I cant wait.
on 17 January 2010
Scenerio. Poor, but extremely beautiful Marseille girl Noelle is pimped by her fisherman father but escapes to pre-war Paris only to be seducted and then abandoned by handsome flyer Larry. She plots her revenge. On the way she becomes a famous actress and then mistress of a Greek tycoon. In post war Athens she meets her ex-lover but things don't go the way she planned....

I think this is a good example of a good story teller who is not a good writer. I found his prose
cliched and despite the obvious research I had difficulty in believing the setting of post war Greece. The Greece as described in Sheldon's novel with its thousands of tourists sounded very 1970s to me. Anachronisms like the reference to writers marrying stupid actresses (Miller and Monroe?) were jarring. Noelle's sudden ability to speak English just after she'd left Marseille was unexplained. Poor editing.

Despite the above criticisms I have given the book three stars as it was a page turner.
on 28 April 2013
Just fantastic. Why don't they write books like this now? Why don't creative writing classes and editors look for stories like this? They don't. I know. That's why I have gone back to Sidney.

This has glamour, sex, murder, twists and turns, sex, history...you name it.

Two women's lives are linked. They both love a rotter. One thirsts for revenge by climbing the social ladder through wartime France and then with an Onassis type figure. Joyously well done and you just can't wait to see how she'll get there. Meanwhile, nice but smart girl loves a man we want her to give up. And we see her make mistake after mistake.

And it all comes to a climax in Greece...with one hell of an ending. Fast, easy to read, back story and adjectives - all the things they tell writers not to do now - which is why Sheldon is one of the greats.
on 26 May 2001
This is the second Sidney Sheldon book I have read and it will not be the last. Another book I didn't want to put down, I had it read in a weekend. Excellent page turner. Emotions and motivations for actions are as strong as ever. The plot just keeps on twisting right up until the end. A must for any Sheldon fan.
on 11 December 2012
I first read this book over 30 years ago. I bought it on my kindle to see if it was as good as I remembered. I was surprised that I remembered most of the story but it was definitely worth the read both times.
on 24 July 2014
I am a huge fan of Sydney Sheldon’s books, having read most of them when they first came out in the 1970s. I am enjoying them just as much this time round.

This one took me a little while to get into as the story started by introducing far too many characters that wouldn’t appear again until later in the book. Having now finished the book I really don’t think this was necessary. Then the booked jumped between the two main female characters, so just as I was getting into the story of one, it would jump to the other, and by the time it reverted back to the first one I’d forgotten where it had left off. But once the story got going I could forgive all this as I just couldn’t put it down. Right till the very end there were so many twists and turns you just didn’t know what was going to happen. I can’t wait to read the sequel now. Sidney Sheldon definitely had a brilliant imagination and knew how to tell a fantastic story.
on 6 August 2011
This is a review, not a precis. Lots of people on here appear not to know the difference. I first read this book back in the late '70s. It's melodramatic, over the top, cliched, not very well written and I LOVED it! So what if it's not great literature, Sheldon probably laughed all the way to the bank!