Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 March 2001
The city of Liverpool is reeling in the aftermath of the summer riots and Cal Mooney, a 26-year-old loner, is treading the back streets, searching for a stray pigeon that has escaped his father's garden. Nearby a derelict house is being emptied by removal men. The elderly owner is in hospital on the point of death and as the removal men clear her belongings Cal finds himself drawn to the house. There is a secret within it, contained within a carpet. The carpet is the entrance to the Fugue, a surreal world peopled by the Seerkind, a gentle race under threat from an evil presence named Shadwell, and Shadwell is on his way to Liverpool, together with his beautiful and bewitching partner, the deadly Immacolata. Together they aim to access the Fugue and conquer this paranormal world. Weaveworld is a mind blowing combination of urban mythology and modern history as the mayhem unleashed by Shadwell and Immacolata brings Inspector Hobart to the city. Hobart is a creation of Thatcherite proportions, a human enforcer who believes the law is an allegory for organised sadism and he determines to restore order, ending the paranormal disturbances sweeping the city, so enhancing the reputation he earned during his handling of the riots the previous summer. Cal, meanwhile, is haunted by his brief glimpse of the Fugue. His obsession with it leads him into the path of Suzzanna, the 22-year-old granddaughter of the woman whose house he stumbled into. This young couple have no idea of what they are about to enter... Instead of simply establishing a boy meets girl on dark adventure yarn Barker has delved far, far deeper, touching on the modern themes of rampant greed, a city in decay, and a hero and heroine who come vividly to life within the novel as they face the philistine evil of Shadwell and his murderous allies. This is Liverpool in the Eighties, a vibrant, colourful, charismatic city being destroyed from within by a malignant force motivated by money and bankrupt of morality. For Shadwell read the Iron Lady; remember her? Clive Barker is not just "the future of horror" as Stephen King so correctly forecast in 1984; he is a philosopher who blows every other horror writer clean out of the water - King included. And Weaveworld is not just a novel - it is something to believe in and learn from. This is perhaps the finest piece of work from one of the greatest writers alive today. A dark delight!
...and your imagination will never want to lose the excellence of this book. I have just finished reading Weaveworld for the third time and still find myself at a loss for words to capture its brilliance. Really, it defies explanation. Barker has created what I consider to be one of his greatest novels, heck! it's almost THE greatest novel. Its immensity allows its creator to use every aspect of great story telling to leave you feeling like you've just experienced something divine. It is an epic adventure of monumental proportions into a great secret world called 'The Fugue', that has been hidden away in order to elude its notorious enemies. Following the exploits of the two main characters, Cal and Suzanna, it tells us how they unravel (literally) the secrets behind the Weaveworld. This brings them into contact with some of Barkers most timeless and unforgettable characters, more notably so Immacolata and her side-kick the shifty salesman Shadwell. Mysterious, magical, loveable and terrifying - this book has it all. I particulaly love this book because of 'The Orchard of Lemuel Lo', with its entertaining magic and Jude Pears. A part of the book Clive Barker based on a early personal experience. It's just such a great chapter, magical in its peculiarities and believable by its subtlety. There are moments of exquisite tenderness and poetry in this book and moments that will have you practically tearing the page to turn it and find the answers to the many questions Barker poses throughout. The story will take you beyond reality, beyond fiction, beyond poetry and beyond fantasy to deliver you to an ambience that will intice, elate and overwhealm you. You will truly wish the story to never end, which in a way it never does - you have to experience it to understand. Suffice it to say Weaveworld is Heaven of a different form, only read it if you have plenty of breath to catch, tears to cry and imagination to be inspired, stretched and truly amazed.
on 7 April 2006
This man, and more specifically this book, is the reason I read fiction today. I read this novel over ten years ago but it still remains one of the main influences in my life. Perhaps because I have read it over five times. The story itself is unique and entertaining. The author is able to mix fantasy and horror and weave it into a reality which we recognise as our own world. But it's not the story that makes this book one of the best I have ever read. It is the author himself, and the way he sings from the page. His sentence structure in book one of this novel is absolutely spell binding. He makes you feel the emotion of the characters and makes you feel the disgust - and even fear - of the evil characters in the novel. For a master class in the written word this book is a must although for superior story telling his other novel, Imajica, is arguably his best work.
on 4 October 2001
Barker is an absolute genius! the story so compelling, it draws you right in to the heart of wonderful things.. things only Barker could have imagined, possibly one of his best. do you like miracles? then this one is for you, join calhoun 'mad' mooney in this crazy adventure through a world of raptures, seerkind and unlikely foes including a salesman?! Beware this miracle of a book. you must enter Weaveworld at any cost, lets just hope it wont be your sanity!
on 29 December 2007
This was the first Clive Barker book I ever read and is still my favourite Barker.

The premise behind the book is that a magical world has been mystically woven into an intricate carpet to be kept safe in our world under the guardianship of a trusted keeper. The problem is that said guardian ages and becomes stale and senile in our wonderless world of tedium and the carpet is forgotten. Enter Cal, an unlikely and unwilling hero who grudgingly assumes responsibility for the forgotten world and is hurled headlong into a wild chase of terrifying magic and creatures of great power who will stop at nothing to destroy the carpet and anyone who gets in their way.

The juxtaposition of a very grey and dully described modern-day Liverpool and a blindingly bright world of enchantment and wonders is cleverly handled. New characters drop in one-by-one and jockey for position of importance with each chapter, and you can never be sure whose side they're on! Each person is written with depth and real motive, and sympathy for the Devil is opposed by frustration at the occasional selfishness of those who should know better!

The book does, however, go to sleep a little in the middle and the pace slackens off almost to a standstill. It is almost as if Barker felt he needed to pause for breath after the headlong sprint of the first few chapters and some people I have spoken to lost patience and gave up at this point. Big mistake. This is not a hack 'n' slash or a high fantasy story, it is an intelligent and adult work of a wild and sometimes disturbing imagination that can dazzle, delight, sicken and arouse in equal measure. Do not buy this if you prefer your novels to be mental chewing-gum or spoon-fed cliches, Weaveworld will challenge you and take your grown-up imagination to places it hasn't visited since childhood.
on 17 March 2000
When we first open the pages of weaveworld we are greeted with an obsorbing opening "nothing ever begins" and from then on we are brought with Cal Mooney on a quest that we all share in our hearts. We find the character so close to our own hearts that we often feel like it is us there on the printed page and not a fictitious character. Suzanna is the typical modern woman, whom we all know in a part of our lives, but the most beautiful thing about this book is the discription of the characters, whether it is Cal, Mimi or Immacolata and her sisters. We can taste the dread of these characters and rejoice in their triumphs. We fall in love with the likes of Jericho and hate Shadwell because not only of the responses of the characters to them, but the lyrics used in this magnificent piece of prose let us not only make our own assumptions of their characters and their flaws, we also see true sufferring and the range and depth of the human spirit,through the mediums of love, hate and religion and belief. this is an incredible book, that deserves countless re-readings, purely because in every re-reading (that I have done, and there has been plenty)we find an new layer of fabric, a new thread of light and a new decoration of emotion that we missed previously. Rich and diverse with plot and imagination, Weaveworld is a masterpiece of the English language, of the triumph of a daring novelist who pushes us to the edge of our imaginations and forces us to watch. Utterly brilliant and beautiful,Weaveworld should be compulsory reading for all those who love the language of the mind.
on 26 October 2004
I'll try not to repeat what has already been said... but here we have a book devoid of cliche, rich in imagination and utterley compelling... I found myself captivated by the visions withing, loving the characters... I guarantee as you walk throught the sodden streets afterwards, you will be eyening every crack in the landscape for the possibility of seeing hidden worlds.
on 10 March 2000
After listening to my Dad rant on for months about "Weaveworld" I eventually bought it just to shut him up....Anyway, I was intrigued to find out how there could be a world inside a carpet. (It seemed a bit preposterous!) Although it has been a long time since I read it, it still sticks in my mind as being a fantastic story and wonderfully entertaining. I was forced to swallow my pride and tell my Dad that he was right. It is a brilliant book. Since then I have read several other Clive Barker novels. This is clearly the best. Go on. Buy it. Now. You know you want to.
on 18 April 2012
could do with an edit overall as so many mistakes with words etc. day instead of clay, bang instead of being, missed quotation marks. It does detract and become very annoying as you have to work out what was actually meant and what the correct word should be.
on 25 February 2002
Weaveworld, represents Clive Barker's departure from the'New King of Horror'. Despite the fact that in a few places, the imagery is so vivid and effortlessly imagined with the help of Barker's prose, that however divine or diabolical the chapter gets, it never fails to do its job.
The plot is as complex as any page turner will allow, with all characters 'fleshed out' (for want of a better description). Barker's speciality for plots and sub-plots, however is second only to the philosophical insights that really carry this, and other Clive Barker books also.