on 19 August 2001
I found this book totally enthralling. You can feel with the characters. You can feel for Cathy all the way through the book. Virginia Andrews is a great novelist and out of all the books i've read i've found hers the best.
At home and school I was an avid reader and would devour every written word.Somewhere between maturity and motherhood the desire to read was not so much lost, as buried, beneath mountains of bills and nappies.I could manage the odd magazine article but nothing more.
Recovering from a serious illness I was given this book to 'take my mind off things'and I will be forever grateful to the author for aiding my recovery and for helping me to re-discover my passion.
From the first page I was hooked, the family became my own and the children mine.The book includes every kind of emotion, anger, sadness,happines, shock and surprise and as I read of the cruelty the children endured I experienced them all.These people were real. Cathy and Chris being the main charactures for most of the book were brother and sister drawn together by horrific circumstances facing every nightmare imaginable in an effort to keep themselves and the two younger children alive.When they realised their adored mother had abandoned them their love wilts and revenge takes its place.
The book left me breathless and eager for the next installment and thank god their was one. Whilst the following books did not have the same impact as this they are well worth a read and the prequel a real shocker!
11 comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 July 2004
This book is by far one of my favourite novels ever. Having read it over and over again, each time you are sucked in, imagining you are there with the children, experiencing their horror. Being based on a true story, it makes this tale even more shocking, and you become sad to learn of these wasted childhoods.
Although, this is a tale of love as well, and leaves you feeling horrified and bemused at how the mother could do what she did to her own children.
Shocking, absorbing and a truly incredible tale.
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2015
**SPOILER ALERT**

Do you like reading about incest? Well, the author certainly likes writing about it! And it only has consequences if your hateful family find out and judge you!
Flippancy aside, this book is certainly readable, if rather simply written and repetitive (though I accept it's meant to be from a young teenage girl's point of view). There was just something rather creepy about the depiction of incest; almost as though the act is not inherently bad, but that the angry, judgemental responses of one's family are what spoil and poison it. Which is a rather unsettling message. (I also read reviews of Andrews' later books, and they only served to reinforce this impression, though Flowers in the Attic can and of course should be judged as a stand-alone novel.)
on 9 January 2003
To me, 'Flowers in the Attic' is one of the most gripping novels I have ever read. It is also one of the most intriguing love stories ever written. Many readers frown upon Andrews for her incest/romance writting. To me however, I find it captivating. When I first read this book I knew before hand of the brother/sister romance. However, when I read the book I was so wrapped up in Andrews amazing story telling, that I felt bad for the characters. What happens when children are coming of age, and are locked away together? Who will they turn to for love? Each other. Andrews has an amazing ability to capture the reader, and bring them into her world. I have read the entire Dollanganger Saga. Each book to the saga is a must read. I recomend this book to anyone who loves a twisted romance.
22 comments17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2003
Usually, I am not a reader. However I was tempted into reading this book after a family member had read it. I could not put the book down! The story captivates you from beginning to end, and makes you feel a part of the storyline! I have now read the other 3 books after this one which are just as good as the first. All are a must read! I now want to read other stories written by Virginia Andrews!!
on 23 January 2010
I have read this book into rags: I am not totally sure why because it is actually dreadfully written - clunky, awkward prose and unrealistic, grating dialogue such as 'You will burn, burn, burn in hell for what you have done!' However it is a good, if completely ridiculous, story about betrayal, survival, incest and beautiful * inbred * people with luxurious blonde hair (this is the sort of book where having fine, mousy hair is indicative of an unscrupulous character). The later books only get worse.
It is a cliche but this book is so bad that it is good.
44 comments17 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2002
Virginia Andrews has created a true masterpiece. Flowers in the attic is a heart rendering tale of 4 siblings that go through hell and are tortured emotionly and physically by their once loving mother and grandmother. Have you ever read a child called it by Dave Pelzer? Virginia Andrews provokes the same emotions with rape, murder and betrayal in this brilliant novel that at one point will drive you to tears. Truly amazing.
on 27 November 2004
this book was recommended by my mother and she had read it 20 yrs ago. this book had me hooked the minute i read the first paragraph . through the authors fantastic characterisation, narractive skills and imagery i became one of the children , i could picture it vididly and was scared, angry , emotional along with the children, i loved the book so much ive now purchased the whole set .
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 March 2000
This novel is one of the most haunting stories that I have ever read. The story focuses on how the four children cope after their mother locks them up in the grandmothers attic. The reason this book is so successful is, I believe, due to the characters. Cathy is one of the strongest female characters in literature, and her anger and hurt is painfully realistic. One of the most unforgettable books. Be warned, once you read this you will have to read the rest of the series.
0Comment24 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse