5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully disturbing book.
At home and school I was an avid reader and would devour every written word.Somewhere between maturity and motherhood the desire to read was not so much lost, as buried, beneath mountains of bills and nappies.I could manage the odd magazine article but nothing more.
Published on 15 July 2000 by caroledwards@carolsmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars You will read, read, read this book many times...
I have read this book into rags: I am not totally sure why because it is actually dreadfully written - clunky, awkward prose and unrealistic, grating dialogue such as 'You will burn, burn, burn in hell for what you have done!' However it is a good, if completely ridiculous, story about betrayal, survival, incest and beautiful * inbred * people with luxurious blonde hair...
Published on 23 Jan. 2010 by A. M. Stout

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully disturbing book., 15 July 2000
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
Recovering from a serious illness I was given this book to 'take my mind off things'and I will be forever grateful to the author for aiding my recovery and for helping me to re-discover my passion.
From the first page I was hooked, the family became my own and the children mine.The book includes every kind of emotion, anger, sadness,happines, shock and surprise and as I read of the cruelty the children endured I experienced them all.These people were real. Cathy and Chris being the main charactures for most of the book were brother and sister drawn together by horrific circumstances facing every nightmare imaginable in an effort to keep themselves and the two younger children alive.When they realised their adored mother had abandoned them their love wilts and revenge takes its place.
The book left me breathless and eager for the next installment and thank god their was one. Whilst the following books did not have the same impact as this they are well worth a read and the prequel a real shocker!

5.0 out of 5 stars A romantic heartbreaker, 19 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
Usually, I am not a reader. However I was tempted into reading this book after a family member had read it. I could not put the book down! The story captivates you from beginning to end, and makes you feel a part of the storyline! I have now read the other 3 books after this one which are just as good as the first. All are a must read! I now want to read other stories written by Virginia Andrews!!

5.0 out of 5 stars disturbingly brilliant, 19 Oct. 2009
Lauren N. Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
Although I have not read this book for a number of years, it remains at the forefront of my mind when I am asked, 'what is your favourite book?' It tells the story of the resilient young children (brothers and sisters) who are forced to grow up while being locked in an attic. The book is emotionally disturbing; the reader is drawn into the attic and feels the pain, confusion and unity of the children. If I remember correctly, there are many more tears than there is laughter. This is the perfect balance to always leave the reader feeling uneasy about any triumphs that are achieved. I would recommend it in a second, as well as the prequel (which I would read afterwards) and the sequels. It is not for the easily offended and is definitely not light reading nor is it suitable for children. What it is though is a literary masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars An completely compelling book, 19 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
I found this book totally enthralling. You can feel with the characters. You can feel for Cathy all the way through the book. Virginia Andrews is a great novelist and out of all the books i've read i've found hers the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing but wonderfully written, 14 Sept. 2013
This book stole my innocence. I am not kidding. When I started Secondary school I found this book in the school library and read it and have never been the same since. WHAT THE HELL WAS IT DOING IN THE SCHOOL LIBRARY?!?! It has haunted me since.

Now ten years later I decided to read it to see if everything I remember about it was true.

It was exactly as I remembered down to the [incest, awful betrayal of their mother, evil grandfather and the poor tragic death of Cory and Mickey the mouse (seriously, when I read about the death of the mouse this time, it pained me more than Cory's death because I had steeled myself for his death but forgot all about the mouse).]

And yet it was horrifically fascinating and forced you to read on, even if you're certain you're not going to like what you read.

So, yeah, I think it's fair to say that in another ten years' time, this book will still be haunting me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Jan. 2011
M "Delicious Strawberry" (I wait behind the wall, gnawing away at your reality) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
Sadly, this wasn't the first VCA book I ever read (I started off with the Cutler family series) but when I finally got around to this, I was not disappointed. It is easily one of the best books I have ever read. The drama, the intrigue, the suspense... I have read this book several times and never get tired of it.

You can't help but feel bad for the poor kids, especially with their harsh treatment by their grandmother and the blatant selfishness of their mother. One might wonder why the events in this book have transpired as they have, but this book is simply the first in a fascinating five-book series, and the rest of the series explains why this book was the way it was, especially the fifth, which serves as a prequel. The entire saga is riveting!

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting novel., 15 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
This novel is one of the most haunting stories that I have ever read. The story focuses on how the four children cope after their mother locks them up in the grandmothers attic. The reason this book is so successful is, I believe, due to the characters. Cathy is one of the strongest female characters in literature, and her anger and hurt is painfully realistic. One of the most unforgettable books. Be warned, once you read this you will have to read the rest of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2nd time read, 5 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
Read this many years ago & enjoyed reading again.I wanted it on Kindle but could only get it in paperback.The print was very small and due to failing eyesight even with my glasses on found it hard work.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone whether you enjoy reading or not!!!, 5 July 2004
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
This book is by far one of my favourite novels ever. Having read it over and over again, each time you are sucked in, imagining you are there with the children, experiencing their horror. Being based on a true story, it makes this tale even more shocking, and you become sad to learn of these wasted childhoods.
Although, this is a tale of love as well, and leaves you feeling horrified and bemused at how the mother could do what she did to her own children.
Shocking, absorbing and a truly incredible tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 9 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) (Paperback)
To me, 'Flowers in the Attic' is one of the most gripping novels I have ever read. It is also one of the most intriguing love stories ever written. Many readers frown upon Andrews for her incest/romance writting. To me however, I find it captivating. When I first read this book I knew before hand of the brother/sister romance. However, when I read the book I was so wrapped up in Andrews amazing story telling, that I felt bad for the characters. What happens when children are coming of age, and are locked away together? Who will they turn to for love? Each other. Andrews has an amazing ability to capture the reader, and bring them into her world. I have read the entire Dollanganger Saga. Each book to the saga is a must read. I recomend this book to anyone who loves a twisted romance.

Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1)
Flowers in the Attic (Dollanganger Family 1) by Virginia Andrews (Paperback - 5 Sept. 2005)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available