5.0 out of 5 stars Some information
I just received an e-mail from Harper Collins in which they announced that the publication of "and then there were none" in facsimile has been cancelled. So for all the Agatha Christie fans who were hoping to have the entire collection this is bad news:-(

Just thought that this information might be helpfull to some of you
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by PAM van Gorp

3.0 out of 5 stars and then there none.
I read this book many years ago, and thought I might enjoy it again. Maybe it was because I already knew the story, but I found this time around I was bored with it. Agatha Christie is a great writer, and I have enjoyed all her books, but this was a bit slow.
Published 8 months ago by Jean Orwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Some information, 20 Oct 2011
PAM van Gorp "Book Lover PAM" (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews

Just thought that this information might be helpfull to some of you

5.0 out of 5 stars An All-Time Crime Classic, 1 Mar 2003
A. Ross (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This classic Christie whodunit has borne three different titles, which has been the source of some confusion. Originally published in England under the title "Ten Little Niggers" in 1939, it was retitled "And Then There Were None" for its 1940 American edition for obvious reasons. However, the English stage version of 1943 retained the "Niggers" title while the American stage version ran as "Ten Little Indians." Even more confusingly, the first film version, released in 1945, bore the American "And Then There Were None" title, while the three subsequent adaptations (1965, 1975, and 1989) took the "Ten Little Indians" title! The original offensive title comes from a Victorian-era music-hall song, which itself was a rip-off of an American song by Septimus Winner, circa 1868. All of which is neither here nor there, but only to help clear up any confusion. I would note that the most recent French edition bears the title "Dix petit negres", which somehow does not surprise me...
As for the actual novel, it's perhaps the ultimate whodunit of the "locked house" variety. Ten people are summoned to an island off the Devon coast, none of them know each other or their ostensible host. The story starts by showing the ten en route to the island and provides a brief character sketch of each as background. I have to confess that at first, some of the men kind of blend together, and it takes little time to keep straight who is who. Once on the island, the eight guests and two servants wait for their host, who never shows up. Completely cut off from the mainland, they grow restless until one of them dies. When another dies, it can be no mere coincidence, and they realize that one amongst them must be a killer. The rest of the book plays this cat and mouse game all the way out, leaving the reader guessing until the very end. Because of the number of characters, there's not a whole lot of depth to any of them, but the story is obviously plot-driven as opposed to character-driven, so that should come as no surprise. It's an incredibly elaborate (and thus slightly contrived) web that is woven, but great fun, especially in bleak, stormy weather!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 14 April 2010
H. Barnett (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
Ok, first things first, I love Agatha Christie.
I literally can't get enough of her novels (specifically that wonderful little Belgian)
So when I say this quite simply trumps them all (yes, even Poirot's finest) you get an idea of just how incredible this book is.
It is, in my mind, the perfect set up for a murder mystery: ten people trapped on an island being killed off one by one! Let the games begin!
The solution is beyond belief, but whats more, the journey itself is full of shock and awe and will keep you reading long after you intended to put it down to do other things.

My only grievance with this is that having read it already, I can never again experience its sense of overwhelming mystery and suspense with fresh, unknowing, eyes.
I will never again read a mystery novel that can surpass its sheer perfection, and that is the great sadness that comes hand in hand with the joy of this book.
Prepare yourself before reading, you are in for a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars And then there were few better than this., 24 Dec 2004
John Austin "austinjr@bigpond.net.au" (Kangaroo Ground, Australia) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Surely everyone in the world has read this book by now! Surely it tops the best-selling list of a best-selling author! Older readers may not recognize it by its current title, its original and a later replacement having been deemed too racist. Nothing racist, I hope, was picked in my school English classes, where I used it to help develop pupils' appetite for reading.
Agatha Christie's achievement is remarkable. She creates ten characters, all suspected of murder, who are lured to an island. She has them meet their deaths one by one as nominated in the nursery rhyme "Ten Little Indians" which is displayed in their rooms. She has each murder occur in a situation where almost all the other island guests might have had opportunity to commit it. As if devising all this were not enough, she also frequently takes us into the minds of the various characters - something that the whole nature of detective fiction usually prohibits. This construction is not only intricate but also compact; it is one of her shorter novels. Built on this scheme, the book must exclude Mrs Christie's regular sleuths, Poirot and Miss Marple. Instead, the dwindling number of island guests generate their own investigation.
So here is a book that offers double the pleasure that murder mysteries provide. As well as challenging you to solve the mystery, it also amazes you that so ingenious a mystery could be contrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely un-put-downable!, 20 Aug 2002
By A Customer
A group of people find themselves invited to an island off the English coast. Their host is not present and a storm is fast approaching. After two people die, the guests quickly realise that what seemed like two accidents in succession is in fact the work of a killer on the island. I found this to be one of the most enjoyable and genuinely chilling mysteries I have ever read. Christie's handling of the narrative and the suspense scenes is nothing short of masterly, and she manages to conjure up an amazingly tense atmosphere. Thoroughly engrossing and beautifully written, this classic novel will leave you guessing literally until the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Whodunnit Of All Time, 17 July 2006
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The title says it all. Agatha Christie is THE greatest writer, and this is her greatest book of all. If ever I could recommend a book to bring a reader into the crime genre, this would be it.

I wont go into the story, as many have already done that for me, suffice to say that, improbable as the story sounds, it is utterly baffling, and yet, when the truth comes out, the true genius is revealed.

But it is not just the sheer genius of the story. As a crime novel, this work holds something else, a dark, sinister, brooding atmosphere, as people begin to expire. We are treated to some internal reflections of the characters, though we have no idea from whom the musings come.

Another factor is the way she writes, so simply, with such simple descriptions as to encourage our own mental image, so each will have their own picture of the scenes. This allows one to consume this marvellous novel in a single sitting, and yet, also you do not want it to end, even as the death toll rises. Everything is perfect, characters, setting, those teasing clues, and a truly twisted villain, as the end will reveal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A twist worth waiting for., 20 Jan 2001
By A Customer
As I usually read Poirot books by Agatha Christie I was unsure how good this book was going to be. I eventually decided to buy the book because I wanted a hardback copy of one of my favourite authors books. Once I began to read this book I could not put it down and I hurried to the end of the book. The final conclusion of this book was so unexpected and so perfect it had me thinking for days. I can thoroughly reccomend this book to anyone who is a fan of mysteries or anyone who simply enjoys an excellent read. This is definetly Christie at her thought provoking best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding thriller writing, 4 Jan 2011
'And Then There Were None' is an outstanding example both of a closed-circle crime, of Christie's use of nursery rhymes to plot a story and of the stories featuring neither Hercule Poirot nor Miss Marple. It is one of her best-known stories with a stunningly original plot and motivation for the crimes committed.

Ten people from various social backgrounds are lured to a mansion on an island off the Devon coast and killed off one-by-one. Each one dies in a manner related to the appropriate verse of the nursery rhyme which hangs over the fireplace in every bedroom in the mansion.

The story includes varied and believable characters, an island setting based on Burgh Island off the South Devon coast and an increasingly claustrophobic suspense generated as the action moves towards its climax.

Christie is not generally thought of as a thriller writer but this story really does prove that she could write a real thriller as well as the more conventional detective story. Christie herself went on record as being very pleased with the end product, especially since it was, in her words, extremely difficult to plan.

One of her best and a must for a crime fiction collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could it be the title???, 13 Dec 2010
Kevin Gascoyne (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
M A Dalton of Brisbane, Australia, wants to know why this title appears to have been pulled. Could it be something to do with the original title? All these books are facsimiles of the original UK publications and dust jackets. The original title, realeased in the UK, was Ten Little Niggers - And Then There Were None is the American title for the book. Could Harper Collins be a little jittery about publishing the book with the original UK dust jacket? If they release it with the original US dust jacket, then this would not be in keeping with all the other previously released and future releases of the UK facsimile publications. Best to contact Harper Collins (UK) direct, I guess. ***UPDATE*** - as I thought, it is the title that is causing the problem - these are UK facsimiles and the original title is causing some debate. I have just heard back from Harper Collins UK, and the matter will be discussed in the new year (2011) and they are hoping to finally publish the facsimile edition towards the end of 2011.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly enjoyable, 13 Oct 2013
R. A. Davison (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I wouldn't normally choose an Agatha Christie but I participated in an online group of 3 people who each chose a book and then we all read all 3, my first thought I must confess was book snobbery "An Agatha christie, really?" but I ended up really enjoying it.

In this novel, in classic Agatha Christie style, ten people are invited to one of those old fashioned Downton Abbey type country getaways. Nobody seems to have been perturbed to have been invited to a soiree held by someone they've never heard of, but I guess those were the times amidst a certain social class. Also nobody seems to have twigged that the name of the host U N Owen might be a problem, but in order to legitimise the parameters of the mystery you kind of have to accept that this is a logical decision for these people to accept these invites and in some cases more than others, it is.

Once they arrive on the isolated island, they are all accused of the same thing, namely, that they once got away with murder, and then, as revenge for their crime, they all begin to die......

I liked the style of this novel and I enjoyed trying to work out who was responsible for bringing them all to the island.The poem which we are introduced to before the story begins, was a nice structure to weave the story around, though I do hear it was a decidedly more offensive poem upon original publication!

At times the deaths are too rapid in a way that starts to seem farcical, but this hyperbolic aspect by no means ruined it for me. I congratulated myself afterwards on identifying the culprit early on, but Christie's repeated use of bait and switch meant that you constantly questioned the conclusions you drew and changed your mind. I thought I knew who it was, but not how it was, and kept looking for possible solutions

It's very cleverly done, as a story it's quite a hard thing to pull off, but pull it off she does, the epilogue explaining how it was done is really necessary.

I can't say that I'll be rushing out and buying the entire chronicles of Hercule Poirot or anything, I think I'll be sticking to my usual genres, but I'm not sorry I read it and have already passed it on to a friend.

Ten Little Niggers
Ten Little Niggers by Agatha Christie (Paperback - Dec 1963)
Used & New from: 1.51