4.0 out of 5 stars Very good

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reaction
Published on 13 Jan. 2004 by Stephen Muires

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reaction, 13 Jan. 2004
Stephen Muires (Stockholm, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Encyclopedia of Classical Music (Hardcover)
I got the book and had 3 queries for it rightaway. I wanted to read about Frederico Mompou, Silvius Leopold Weiss and I wanted to know the meaning of the term rubato. I had anticipated that no encyclopedia could possibly list all composers or explain all musical terms. But all 3 queries failed, which was more than I find acceptable. This book is very nice, but it is not a "primary academic resource for experts", as is mentioned in the synopsis.
That said, the book is very luxurious and interesting, with a lot of focus on the historical context for any music type or composer. But I do now need to find another book that can tell me what rubato means and that has heard of Mompou...

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 3 Mar. 2003
Stevetrumpet (Beds UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Collins Encyclopedia of Classical Music (Hardcover)
The cover of this book shows that Vladimir Ashkenazy wrote the foreword, which shows that it is to be taken seriously. The scope of this book's coverage of Classical Music is impressive. Well illustrated in full colour throughout, it gives loads of information on Classical Music, musicians, instruments and historical detail. Throughout examples are given for music to liten to, recommending individual cd's.
This will prove an essential reference book for any household. Once it is picked up it is difficult to close and put down again.

Collins Encyclopedia of Classical Music
Collins Encyclopedia of Classical Music by Vladimir Ashkenazy (Hardcover - 2 Oct. 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01