5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Im not an idiot but I do need a lot of guidance with DIY. At times its a very subtle distinction, but it is a real one.
This book recognises that fact, and acts as a very patient tutor, and avoids being too basic to be useful.
Published on 1 Nov 2002 by Tom Douglas

3.0 out of 5 stars Everything is here, just take the time to look
If you are incapable or just unsure, then this is the book for you. This is a great book for the renovator or even the odd job man. DIY was never made to look so easy. Just follow the advice and you too could be a better plumber, electrician, tiler, plasterer, it is all here. Just take the time to read the book. Very helpful diagrams and hints. I now have a new shower,...
Published on 17 Dec 2002 by glyndwrg

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Nov 2002
Tom Douglas "TD" (Marlow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
There are many many good points about this book, but the one that really makes it for me is the pictures. Lots and lots of pictures. When reading just text I get lost quickly. Pictures keep me on track.
Easily worth double the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY-tastic!, 3 Feb 2004
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
We have just bought our first house - a lovely Victorian terrace. It is structurally sound, but needs a bit of love and attention. Me and my man have absolutely no DIY skills or knowledge what so ever, so thought it best to get a book so we could learn the basics. Having read all the recommendations for this book on Amazon, I bought it and haven't been able to put it down since! This book covers the basic repairs to large structural and construction projects, plumbing, electrics, plastering, gardening as well as interior design ideas and suggestions. The information and help in this book is detailed, comprehensive and easy to follow. I am really looking forward to the weekend so I can get my tool kit out and have a go!! This book gives you the confidence to tackle jobs and projects that you might normally pay someone to do, and more importantly gives you the ability to understand the workings of your home. This is a brilliant book that I would highly recommend to novices and experts alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence booster and practical guide, 18 Nov 2005
Budge Burgess (Troon, Scotland) - See all my reviews
A good DIY manual should do two things: it should take you, step by step, through a thousand tasks you're likely to encounter when maintaining or renovating a house and give you both clear instructions and the confidence to undertake them; and it should also enable you to identify those tasks which are beyond your skills and which you'll need a professional to undertake. You'll save money both ways!
This Collins manual is an excellent, heavyweight tome - it's a solid, heavy volume, packed with information, thoroughly well-illustrated, accessible and easy to follow. It'll take you from changing a fuse to replacing a window and beyond. It looks at how houses are built, what can go wrong - brickwork, damp courses, wood, plumbing, electrics, infestations, etc., etc. It won't give you the sorts of skills you might learn doing an apprenticeship, but it will give you the confidence to try the simple things and progress to more difficult ones.
Much DIY is down to confidence and experience. The first shelf I ever put up was a shambles and fell down within twenty minutes, but I was really proud of myself for those 20 minutes and I learned from my mistake. If I'd had the Collins manual to hand, I wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place. You can serve an apprenticeship doing DIY - as you gain in experience, you gain in confidence. You start to do things a little better, a little quicker. You start to get a bit more adventurous - but don't try to replace your roof until you're confident you can replace a plug. Do the simple things first. Build your skills on solid foundations.
And that's what this manual offers. I've renovated two Victorian houses over the last few years - back-breaking at times, exciting, occasional disasters, some notable successes. I've infected my daughter with the bug, and this Collins manual is the book I bought her for her 21st birthday (along with a few other things … I'm not that cheap). It's an excellent volume and one you will use for years to come - it's an investment you'll recoup very quickly, and it will help you build your confidence whether you're an absolute beginner or already have a lot of experience in DIY trades.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is IT !! , Look no further, 3 Oct 2005
By A Customer
This book is really GREAT. I always have it handy and it has helped me in almost everything I've done. As a new house owner (and previous computer engineer) I have managed to do roofs, a terrace, plumbing, walls, electric stuff, windows, floors and just about everything with just the help of this book. It's comprehensive, it's detailed enough, nice step by step instructions and good tips.
I bought the B&B book at the same time and foor a while used and compared both. B&B is also good, but this is the BEST.
Thank you Albert Jackson and David Day.
The only thing, it leans towards stone houses. Living in an old wooden house, I do sometimes need a Finnish book on wooden houses. But rarely, and some basic stuff is still covered in the Collins Manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars The DIY Bible !, 11 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Complete DIY Manual (Paperback)
I bought this book 7 days ago and already I've installed a new bathroom suite and this weekend I'm fitting a security light. This book will guide 'DIYers' of all standards with clear, precise instructions, backed up with plenty of detailed photographs. I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at beginner through to advanced., 10 Aug 2005
B. Harrison "FancyFace" (Thanet, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
We hestitated before buying this book. We're fairly practical people with more than a modicom of inteligence and worried that it might turn out to be too basic for us - after all, we know how to rewire sockets, paint walls and dig a garden pond. We needed a reference book to help us with slightly more complex situations like wiring circuits and structural problems.
We need not have worried. This book tells us just what want to know, in just enough detail and with clear concise pictures so we don't always have to wade through the text.
Beginners will also find it useful - it explains things from the basics but simply goes further than most DIY manuals which seem to consider that "serious jobs" should be carried out professionally.
Highly recommended. Just don't also buy the matching guide to plumbing and wiring - you only need this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars How to do everything ... in two paragraphs, 18 Jan 2007
J. Brand "jbrand" (Somewhere else) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There is no denying the scope of this book is, to say the least, comprehensive. It covers almost every topic imaginable in DIY from dry lining your basement to capping the chimney and covers it at every range whether you just want to change a fuse or rewire the entire building.

That scope though is both its virtue and its problem. Yes I can pick this up and be fairly confident that it will tell me how to go about building a stud wall but I know that it is also likely to be something of an overview of the subject rattled off in a few paragraphs. Often that is enough. There are a lot of jobs where a grasp of the basics and a willingness to have a go are good enough and if I'm laying new paving slabs I'll read this and go for it. Alternatively there are some jobs where I'd like a little more expertise than this can provide. Yes this book will tell me how to change the main fuse box but I'm not going to do that when it means working on the live side of a 100 amp line! In those cases though at least it lets me know roughly how difficult the job is so that I don't sound like a complete numpty when I call an electrician and ask if they could replace the 'thingummy by the front door with the fuses in it'.

I'd say to anyone that they should buy this book even if you don't ever intend to do the DIY yourself. If you do the DIY this is a good first reference to find out what to do. If it's not comprehensive enough then it will give enough of an overview that you will know what to look for when searching for more detail and if you do get someone else to do the job you've a better chance of knowing if they're doing the right thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth The Money, 25 Oct 2006
Big Daddy (west Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Did not know whether or not to buy this, I thought it may be a bit basic as I am a seasoned DIYer and have renovated several houses. How wrong I was, yes it has got the basics but there is also plenty of information to carry you through more complicated projects. Plenty of data on how to do the job correctly, up to date with modern practices, materials and tools. Of particular interest to me was the electrical section, which is up to date with the changes that have happened in this area over the past couple of years. Well worth the money, you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DIY Manual!!, 18 Sep 2004
Shorty (Greater Manchester) - See all my reviews
I have just bought a copy of this because I heard so many good things about the previous additions of it. This book covers so many different topics you will just want to start DIY'ing as soon as you get it. Some of the topics in this book you would never have dreamed about attempting yourself, but with this book you feel like you could manage it quite easily.
BUY THIS BOOK.....READ THIS BOOK.......DO ALL YOUR DIY WITH IT..........SAVE YOURSELF LOADS OF MONEY........ENOUGH SAID!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and very easy to follow, 14 Nov 2003
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
I've recently bought my first house and have had a variety of minor jobs to do. I've yet to encounter a task that is not explained in detail in this book, with pictures. It's like having a qualified plumber/electrician/decorator in the room advising you as you attempt a job. Absolutely superb.

Collins Complete DIY Manual
Collins Complete DIY Manual by David Day (Hardcover - 2 April 2001)
22.76