Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 October 2004
Having lived in the sub-continent for a few years in the late 70's I enjoy cooking and eating Indian food. Unfortunately I found that recipes, even from Indian writers, did not live up to the aroma and taste I remember. Until Floyd that is. What great recipes and tastes to transport you to the restaurants of Delhi, Calcutta and Madras. As authentic as I have found.
on 26 June 2006
I have read this book and tried a few of the regional recipes and have to say they are very authentic,very much the way its eaten in India. Very few restaurants in the UK will bring you this kind of food, so try the book out and enjoy. His Rogan Josh is absolutely fantastic, the mince kebabs are terrific.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2005
I got this book after spending the best part of a day watching the TV series on one of the satellite cooking channels. I was struck by Floyd's enthusiasm and the authenticity of the cooking that I had to see if they transferred into the book. and, by and large, they do. Although many of the recipes have had to be altered to take account of the fact that most British cooks do not cook over an open fire or in a hole in the ground using dried cow-pats for fuel they are still incredibly authentic and tasty. Add to this Keith Floyd's inimitable style and account of his travels while making the program and you have an almost perfect Indian cookery book.
VINE VOICEon 3 May 2007
....when this book came into my life!

I'll explain. I live some 40 miles from the nearest curry house in la belle France profonde, and frankly the cooking there does not make the trip in anyway worthwhile.

I already had a number of books of Indian cooking, ranging from those claiming to present the authentic cuisine of the region and others that perpouted to allow the user to replicate their favourite dish from the local Taj Mahal, Prince of Bengal or Passage to India (delete as appropriate). These books had one common characteristic: they completely failed to deliver the goods.

I was thrown back on imported jars of Patak's sauces - alright, but not quite what I wanted (and pretty damned expensive to obtain here in the wilds). Then I was bought Floyd's India by my dear wife. For curry lovers even not remote from a source of decent product, this should be a valuable addition to the kitchen armoury.

The recipes are presented in a clear, easy-to-follow format that makes their preparation a pleasure. The selection ranges from the dead simple (murgh masala - knocked out in about 30 minutes) to far more ornate and complex dishes (beef ularthiyathu and imperial biryani).

Floyd's prose is at its best: both witty and informative and makes the book a pleasure to read even if you don't cook anything out of it. But cook you should, because the results are excellent. Are the dishes authentic? I don't know, and frankly I care less because they taste great.
on 5 February 2007
I have been cooking Indian meals for over twenty five years and have a bookshelf full of recipe books, including Madhur etc.

They have generally been acceptable imitations of what is on offer in Indian restaurants.

Until now that is. My sister in law bought me Floyd's India for my birthday and I have to say that he has empowered me to cook the best curries in my life.

I still have the original 1970's Floyd on Fire and Floyd on Fish and refer to them regularly.

You have never let me down, Raymond!

Buy this book...please!
on 23 April 2011
Floyd was Floyd. As a traveller in India I have a passion for the food & for the people, the sights and the sounds and the smells of Indian cooking. Floyd captures them and his entertaining style echoes all that I love about the place. He could have made a good living as a travel writer but chose to cook as well as being a formidable word-smith. If you like India or are thinking of going there, get a copy of this book. Even if you never get to India, you can experience India's delight by cooking some of his recipes. The ones I have tried ( and that's most of them ) have all been marvellous. Strongly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 10 August 2007
Having visited India about 30 times in the last decade, I am prompted to revisit Keith Floyd after having seen several of the new (2007) series of "Rhodes Around India" on UK TV Food. Gary is all so serious, like a fish out of water, and always trying to second guess the Indian chefs who are there to teach him how to cook authentic Indian grub. Keith bubbles over with enthusiasm and wit: he clearly loves the country, and this is reflected in this book. Not only are Keith's television programmes on India so much more entertaining and informative than the Rhodes series, but the book really does translate the on-screen cooking into easy-to-follow and helpful recipes, of great variety. His introduction is a great non-culinary bonus. There have been some rather dire productions from old Keith, but this book (and TV series) is a hit, and has much to recommend it. I only wish that the TV series were available on DVD. (It seems every TV chef heads to India sooner or later: next we'll probably see Rick Stein on India.)
on 21 January 2011
Yet another Fab book by the king of no-nonsense cookery. As with all his books they are easy to read, follow, cook, and above all tasty! Shame there will be no more :-( Rest in peace Keith. From one of your gastronaugts.
on 2 March 2010
Excellent book - received in a timely fashion and in excellent condition.
Contents include accompanying narrative and briliant photographs.
Looking forward to trying the recipes.
on 7 January 2011
My mother bought this for me for Christmas 2010 and I was extremely pleased with the detail, layout and simplicity involved in all of Keiths recipes.