4.0 out of 5 stars A taste of India
Having lived in the sub-continent for a few years in the late 70's I enjoy cooking and eating Indian food. Unfortunately I found that recipes, even from Indian writers, did not live up to the aroma and taste I remember. Until Floyd that is. What great recipes and tastes to transport you to the restaurants of Delhi, Calcutta and Madras. As authentic as I have found.
Published on 7 Oct 2004 by jj1111

2.0 out of 5 stars Format Not Ideal For Kindle Fire
I have rated this book two stars because although there are some very interesting recipes in this book, this book has not been formatted properly for the Kindle. In addition there picture quality of the photos are horrible, but what's worse is that there isn't accompanying picture for each dish. It's not. Practical book for the Kindle.
Published 6 months ago by ReshmiZulphay

4.0 out of 5 stars A taste of India, 7 Oct 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Very authentic, 26 Jun 2006
This review is from: Floyd's India (Hardcover)
I have read this book and tried a few of the regional recipes and have to say they are very authentic,very much the way its eaten in India. Very few restaurants in the UK will bring you this kind of food, so try the book out and enjoy. His Rogan Josh is absolutely fantastic, the mince kebabs are terrific.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series - Great Book, 27 Jan 2005
Gary Nicklin (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Floyd's India (Paperback)
I got this book after spending the best part of a day watching the TV series on one of the satellite cooking channels. I was struck by Floyd's enthusiasm and the authenticity of the cooking that I had to see if they transferred into the book. and, by and large, they do. Although many of the recipes have had to be altered to take account of the fact that most British cooks do not cook over an open fire or in a hole in the ground using dried cow-pats for fuel they are still incredibly authentic and tasty. Add to this Keith Floyd's inimitable style and account of his travels while making the program and you have an almost perfect Indian cookery book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Indian recipes ever, 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: Floyd's India (Paperback)
I have been cooking Indian meals for over twenty five years and have a bookshelf full of recipe books, including Madhur etc.

They have generally been acceptable imitations of what is on offer in Indian restaurants.

Until now that is. My sister in law bought me Floyd's India for my birthday and I have to say that he has empowered me to cook the best curries in my life.

I still have the original 1970's Floyd on Fire and Floyd on Fish and refer to them regularly.

You have never let me down, Raymond!

Buy this book...please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy was the day...., 3 May 2007
Jon D "Jon in France" (South Vendée, France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Floyd's India (Paperback)
....when this book came into my life!

I'll explain. I live some 40 miles from the nearest curry house in la belle France profonde, and frankly the cooking there does not make the trip in anyway worthwhile.

I already had a number of books of Indian cooking, ranging from those claiming to present the authentic cuisine of the region and others that perpouted to allow the user to replicate their favourite dish from the local Taj Mahal, Prince of Bengal or Passage to India (delete as appropriate). These books had one common characteristic: they completely failed to deliver the goods.

I was thrown back on imported jars of Patak's sauces - alright, but not quite what I wanted (and pretty damned expensive to obtain here in the wilds). Then I was bought Floyd's India by my dear wife. For curry lovers even not remote from a source of decent product, this should be a valuable addition to the kitchen armoury.

The recipes are presented in a clear, easy-to-follow format that makes their preparation a pleasure. The selection ranges from the dead simple (murgh masala - knocked out in about 30 minutes) to far more ornate and complex dishes (beef ularthiyathu and imperial biryani).

Floyd's prose is at its best: both witty and informative and makes the book a pleasure to read even if you don't cook anything out of it. But cook you should, because the results are excellent. Are the dishes authentic? I don't know, and frankly I care less because they taste great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, reliable, informative, way better than Gary Rhodes, as good as Mahdur, 10 Aug 2007
Philip Hurst (Seville, Spain) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Floyd's India (Paperback)
Having visited India about 30 times in the last decade, I am prompted to revisit Keith Floyd after having seen several of the new (2007) series of "Rhodes Around India" on UK TV Food. Gary is all so serious, like a fish out of water, and always trying to second guess the Indian chefs who are there to teach him how to cook authentic Indian grub. Keith bubbles over with enthusiasm and wit: he clearly loves the country, and this is reflected in this book. Not only are Keith's television programmes on India so much more entertaining and informative than the Rhodes series, but the book really does translate the on-screen cooking into easy-to-follow and helpful recipes, of great variety. His introduction is a great non-culinary bonus. There have been some rather dire productions from old Keith, but this book (and TV series) is a hit, and has much to recommend it. I only wish that the TV series were available on DVD. (It seems every TV chef heads to India sooner or later: next we'll probably see Rick Stein on India.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Real taste of India, Good old Keith!, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Floyd's India (Hardcover)
Yet another Fab book by the king of no-nonsense cookery. As with all his books they are easy to read, follow, cook, and above all tasty! Shame there will be no more :-( Rest in peace Keith. From one of your gastronaugts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 7 Jan 2011
J. Mee - See all my reviews
This review is from: Floyd's India (Hardcover)
My mother bought this for me for Christmas 2010 and I was extremely pleased with the detail, layout and simplicity involved in all of Keiths recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 2 Mar 2010
This review is from: Floyd's India (Hardcover)
Excellent book - received in a timely fashion and in excellent condition.
Contents include accompanying narrative and briliant photographs.
Looking forward to trying the recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant read, 22 Dec 2009
Ms. Julie Frith "rainbowlady" (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Floyd's India (Hardcover)
This book is as well written as the programme. the photographs are excellant and the recepies are easy to follow.

Floyd's India
Floyd's India by Keith Floyd (Hardcover - 5 Nov 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01