5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice and support - and not just food
Published on 10 Jan 2000 by insx

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as I hoped..
Published 3 months ago by rachel mcmahon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice and support - and not just food, 10 Jan 2000
This review is from: Rose Elliot's Mother, Baby and Toddler Book: A unique and invaluable guide to raising a baby on a healthy vegetarian diet (Hardcover)
I found this book absolutely fabulous! It was a real life saver for me when I was having problems breast feeding my new baby. It encouraged me to continue and had all the problems that I was going through so I didn't feel alone. I am now happily breast feeding my baby after 8 months. Of course the book is not only about breast feeding. I also found the recipes very good and the nutritional advice essential. This book is a must for all vegetarian mums and mums-to-be. Well done Rose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource through pregnancy and the early years, 8 Sep 2005
By A Customer
I bought this whilst having my veggie pregnancy in part to quieten the calls from family as to the impending medical catastrophe that would ensue without me being nutritnally aware (ie needing a few meat pies and chicken livers to sustain the babe that is). I found it after searching for something written by someone in the know rather than faced with the usual it was really reasuring and gives plenty of data and input on meal menues etc to take the work out of it. Theres sections leading through weaning onto toddlers and even ideas on play and toys. A calming and really useful book I'd recomend and do often to all veggie mums to be - not least to leave in the kitchen if the mother in law comes to "help".

5.0 out of 5 stars rose elliot's mother, baby and toddler book, 4 Mar 2010
M. R. Morris - See all my reviews
brilliant! covers practically everything you need to know. great for non-veggies too. fab, tast recipes and masses of info on general health, nutritios food types and weaning as well as good foods for pregnancy. well worth the buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes not just for babies but mammy's too., 26 Oct 2012
I read this book from front to cover as the introduction is very interesting too. I would recommend any vegetarian pregnant ladies to buy it, I bought when my baby was almost 6 months and ready to start solids but I think it's more useful to ladies who are still pregnant and also for the early days after your baby is born. There is great ideas of what to make and freeze for yourself before the baby arrives and you have no time to cook but need the extra nutrition for breastfeeding. I didn't find it as useful for the early stages of weaning but the recipes look great for older babies and children and as a general vegetarian cook book it's brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars useful, 28 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I disagree with the review below on the child rearing parts of this book which I found very down to earth and sensible. As a mother of three I read this when pregnant with my first child and thought both the recipes (lots suggestions for adapting for toddlers) and other child rearing info useful. Rose Elliot suggests keeping toys in bottom drawers and accessible places and things you don't want broken out of reach - much bettr than not adapting your house and trying to say "no" to a difficult two year old I would have thought.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as I hoped.., 7 April 2014
I was really looking for a sound reference book to guide raising a vegetarian baby. I dont think that this quite meets that. There is more general baby advice (sleeping/crying) etc that I expected, and less nutritional advice. Some of the advice seems outdated (eg starting fruit juices very young). I am a huge fan of Rose Elliots cookery books in general, but have not found this very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book!, 29 Dec 2013
Love this book! has some really good recipes and the layout is well thought out as is the contents. I bought a few vegetarian books while i was pregnant and this is by far the best one!

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing book from a well known author, 26 Oct 2005
Having been Vegetarian for over thirteen years I have read numerous books on all aspects of vegetariansim including those written by Rose Elliot.
I was so disappointed with this book. The section on vegetarian pregnancy was very short and incredibly basic with very little information that most vegetarians probably know anyway.
I think the worst thing about this book was the rather large section dedicated to parenting skills. While this may have been a useful section for some, I purchased the book for the vegetarian topics and found this section irrelevant.
I found that her comments on childcare ridiculous; writing that when your child has a tamtrum you should cuddle them until they are no longer upset. She also suggests putting everything away so your child cannot touch anything and break it - how about using the word no!
Perhaps if this book had provided a more in depth look at vegetarian mums and children it would been a much more useful and interesting read.

1.0 out of 5 stars ohh dear..., 14 Aug 2010
It's hard to know where to start with this book... after being a big fan of Rose Elliot's other books, i was so dissapointed by this one.
To start off with, it's not really much of a recipe book. All of the things i tried from it were time consuming, not particually baby friendly and all had very odd quantities that either ment we were left going hungry or had enough to feed us for a week!
There was quite a good section on nutrition through out pregnancy, which gave good clear advice. Unfortunately, baby was already 6 months old so it wasn't relevant to me.
Most of the book was taken up by really off the wall parenting advice, such as reading your child's horoscope (an interesting theory, but not really what i want from a recipe book!)... also, as a bottle feeding parent, it made me feel a bit alienated.
There are lots of fab alternatives out there. Veggie food for kids was amazing ( Veggie Food for Kids ), as was Annabel Karmel's Baby and Toddler meal planner (obviously!), once a few tweaks had been made to make them veggie friendly.
Don't waste your money on this one!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok book, 21 Aug 2013
it was very cheap so i decided to buy it. it doesn't have so many recipes, it is more of an educational book, not bad, but probably not what people are looking for. however, it is possible to find some tips and recipes for vegetarians in it.