5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable tool for advanced french learners (adults!)
Published on 17 Oct 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting
I was really surprised to see some of the things that appear in this book. I was expecting swearing, graphic language and colloquialisms for everything (I'm not exactly a pearl-clutching faint heart), but the racial slurs surprised me. I wanted a lighthearted gift for an intermediate French learner and this was a bit much!
Published 1 month ago by emily husain

5.0 out of 5 stars An indispensable tool for advanced french learners (adults!), 17 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Merde: The Real French You Were Never Taught at School (Paperback)
Recommended by my funky french teacher a few years ago, this book has become my bible during my stay in France. It's amuzing illustrations and highly up-to-date content, not to mention it's crudeness, have caused many a laugh among my french colleagues. It covers a wide variety of topic areas from body parts to baby french and gives you useful phrases to learn at the end of each chapter. If you're off to France, don't get left behind because this is the real french you'll need to know to survive!

5.0 out of 5 stars génial, 26 Mar 2006
A handy and thorough book about French slang phrases, covering most of the slang and typical relaxed sentence structures from everyday French speech as contrasted with the formal type we learn first at school and in textbooks, as well as some less common, and often amusing, examples of colourful phrases.
As to complaints here about lack of pronunciation guidance or copious examples of use - I'd say this book is aimed at people of about A-level standard or more, who already have a good grasp of standard French. Anyone else would glean a few useful tips from it, but not take it all in. As a graduate in French, I think it would have served me well if I'd read this before going to France in my gap year before uni. Even now, reading it, there are some expressions I'd not seen before, along with many old favourites.
Some of the content is a bit on the strong side, but that's part of the point!
Also, bear in mind some of the advice on how to speak like a native is helpful and practical (t'es sympa instead of tu es sympa; j'sais pas instead of je ne sais pas), but there are times when even in speech you might want to sound more 'text book' and less 'street'. It all depends on context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Feb 2000
By A Customer
Excellent if you are also doing a French course... I bought the book a year ago, and I initially found it a bit dull... only when I started a course to brush up my French did I realise how good the selection of words in this book is. You don't get many dialogues or expressions in context, though, and not all vocabulary areas are covered. Although it is not perfect, I am giving it a five star rating because you should not miss this book. A similar book I'd recommend is "Le français familier et argotique", also available from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars The complete Merde!, 26 Jan 2006
H. Moreland "seller_nireland" (N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
A funny book with useful slang words and phrases. As well as being a fun read it gives a useful insight into the French culture with helpful tips on what exactly things mean eg. how to read a driver's number plate and know what it means - like where the driver is from etc. All in all, an ok book!

5.0 out of 5 stars For any Francophile, 30 Nov 2012
I first read this book before I had even been to France, and although I didn't get some of the content I did find it quite amusing. Since spending 10 years living in France I cans see what a great piece of observation this book is, although some of the attitudes referenced are now a little dated. I recently bought a copy for a teenager who was struggling to engage with French at school. Whilst some of the subject matter maybe went over his head, he really enjoyed it- the first time he has really engaged with any book about France. So, this book has something for everyone, no matter your level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed not "Merde", 5 Sep 2011
I definitely will not recommend this book for beginners of the French language as things can get very confusing. However, I do agree whole-heartedly with some of the reviewers about having a basic understanding of the language-and if I may add the French mentality and culture, because it is only then that the reader can enjoy this book. The author Genevieve does not only bring us up-to-date in the lingual evolution of your everyday French but also pokes and jabs at those little "malheures" that make the French what they are. As an example, her tongue-in-cheek comments about the average Frenchman's relationship with soap and toothpaste is spot on.

While there is definitely nothing wrong with a non-native speaker speaking French the way it was learned in school, it is the use of colloquialisms that ultimately brings out the interesting facets of the language for both speaker and listener. This book provides a delightful and highly informative insight into the nuances of "la langue Française". This does not only provide the reader with the linguistic knowledge needed to express oneself in a "native" manner but also provides the learner a certain sense confidence that brings him or herself one step nearer to understand the gallic essence.

Be warned though that as language is the expression of a nation's soul, some expressions which are perfectly acceptable in normal conversational French may sound crude or even jarring to certain ears. The author, herself French has assigned a sort of crudeness scale in the use of expressions to help prevent the unwary reader from socio-cultural misstep - a helpful aid especially for readers who intend have to visit and experience France first hand. This book is there recommended for all those who want to partly deepen their knowledge of the language in its various facets without the tendentially intimidating academic seriousness that often comes with foreign language learning as well as the price, this book comes highly recommended. It is not only as the native speakers would say "superbe" but is certainly "tres rigole".

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 May 2009
This is a brilliant, brilliant book and not just because of the funny and rude stuff - although it is worth it for that alone. It's an invaluable book if you're fed up with the overly formal french you normally come across in text books and want to learn a bit of argot

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, 13 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarity in itself, 28 Aug 2011
Ok so I have good knoweldge of french, I can have a conversation easily but needed more than that. I needed to know what "slang" words the french use to communicate, they dont teach you these things in school. And when you realise that the french dont talk like the way you have been taught you get shocked!

So anyway bought the book and started reading it, FYI, in my opinion, you should have good knowledge of french in order to fully appreciate the words! (altho it is good fun to read).

I thought it hilarious and great, my cousins are french and use a lot of the words that are present in the book and now I can use and understand them!

some of them not used so much so I guess it depends on the people who use them, maybe?

I liked the book and will def recommend it to someone. you obviously need to memorise a lot of the words if you want to use them. However, at least now if someone was talkign to you, you would understand what they are talking about!

happy reading :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 13 Aug 2009
Beverley A Palin (North East England) - See all my reviews
I laughed. I cried. I almost fell over.
Let's get one thing straight right away. You've gotta speak some French...this book isn't going to teach you French from scratch, nor is it a purile list of rude words and phrases to be learned by rote. I was taught up to A-level standard (although more years ago than I want to think about) and I was quite happy with the pronunciation, and indeed the whole level of the teaching. As the author says, this is the REAL French, and when I've tried it out on real live French friends, they appreciate it. Yep, I hang around with the sort of people who like being sworn at... no, really, chucking the odd bit of slang or even mild profanity into conversation says "I've delved more into your language than the school stuff" and it's appreciated- as long as you choose your friendly Frenchman carefully!!!

The Complete Merde: The Real French You Were Never Taught at School