4.0 out of 5 stars The Model Occupation: The Channel Islands Under German Rule, 1940-45, 2 Feb 2011
T. G. Symonds (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Model Occupation: The Channel Islands Under German Rule, 1940-45 (Hardcover)
I read this book with very considerable interest because I moved to Guernsey in the Channel Islands when I was 7, in 1945, at the time the German Occupation Forces had just been expelled or captured. Hundreds of German soldiers were still being trucked around every day to help repair the tomato industry. I was soon in school, at Elizabeth College, which had been the HQ of the Germans in Guernsey.
Madeleine Bunting decided to write a book on the Occupation because she read that two Gurnsey Jews had been taken away by the Nazis and killed. She has written a very good book, taking the chance of stepping on hidden sensitivities, and I am told she was quite hurt by some of the responses she received. Sensitivities there certainly were. Nothing was spoken about the Occupation for the first years after the War ended, but then people did mention the poison-pen letters giving away who owned an illegal wireless etc. There was a varying degree of collaboration with the Nazi rulers, some for luxury items, sometimes for much-needed food, or out of fear. And as Madeleine Bunting shows, those who were around when she wrote this book were by then in a new world, of tourism paqrticularly, and wanted only for the dark years of Occupation to be seen as a small, brave corner of Europe doing its best to survive in very very difficult circumstances.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very informative read, 2 Dec 2010
I visited Guernsey this year and whilst there this book was mentioned to me. I was also advised that I wouldn't find it in a local bookshop on the island because for what ever reason it was not widely promoted.

I enjoyed the style of writing - informative, detailed and balanced.

This book for me was most moving, telling the story of government/s, islanders, labour camps and the ruling military. The sufferings and hardships, brutality and surviving.

It is a book I will read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I love this book about the Channel Islands., 28 Sep 2013
PIERRE BAMEUL (TALENCE, France) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book of history narrating the terrible events which happened during WW II in this place often unknown by many European people.
I always had a great interest toward the Channel Islands, because a branch of my paternal family is from Guernsey !
I enjoy a lot this island which is a paradise and where I spent some holidays once more last month.
Of course, I am always ready to speak with pleasure of this wonderful British archiplago.
With my congratulations :
Pierre BAMEUL

5.0 out of 5 stars The Model Occupation, by Madeline Bunting, 15 Dec 2012
Mrs. Rp Meinke "Rachel" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
A throughly good account. though of course someone who did not live in the Islands at that time can get the total feel of the times. Good factually, very readable

The Model Occupation: The Channel Islands Under German Rule, 1940-45
The Model Occupation: The Channel Islands Under German Rule, 1940-45 by Madeleine Bunting (Hardcover - 26 Jan 1995)
Used & New from: 0.01