Published on 6 May 2007 by Iziss

3.0 out of 5 stars Daughter of the Forest
Although I do love the authors writing and other fans have rated this book as very good, personally for me it was a little slow going and not much action or adventure, but on the other side of the coin an interesting enough story to read.

I am an avid reader of fantasy and other genre of writing, but for an adult I would have wanted more action, more adventure,...
Published on 14 April 2011 by Rosie

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tale celtic lore woven in between a tale of strength and love, 6 May 2007
I first saw this book in 2001, I had taken a book off of its shelf in the libabry when "daughter of the forest" fell on my foot, to this day i see that injury as an act of fate, because this book changed reading for me. It was the first time a book has managed to captivate me, you wont be able to put this book down till your finished, and even then you will want to pick it up again. The tale of Sorcha, her brothers and Hugh is one beautifuly illustrated by Marrilers natural story telling ability. The celtic lore within the book adds one more dimension to a story whose charachters you instantly care for. This story is full of magic but not the type some will expect, marriler describes herself as a modern day druid and the magic seen in the book is that of pagan faith and the earth. A WARNING though to some readers, this book does contain rape, but it is well done, and important to the plot, so be prepared. I would suggest all of marrilers books (save one, the child of the prophecy)and I hope they have as profound effect on you as they did on me.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, but irritating to a historian!, 6 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Daughter of the Forest: Book 1 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy (Paperback)
On the whole I found Juliet Marillier's tale engrossing and page turning - although it probably could have been shorter. I got a little fed up with the repetition of Sorcha's starwort spinning. However, on balance I did enjoy the story and think that Juliet Marillier has excellent skills as a weaver of tales. I shall certainly be reading the next book in the trilogy when it's published. My main peeve is the lack of historical research. I know that this is a crossover novel, but it is supposed to be set in late dark age Ireland. They didn't have velvet then, nor sycamore trees. It annoyed me how the author was at great pains for everyone to get the pronounciation of the Irish names right and even included a note about them at the beginning. Then she uses names for the English characters that are totally anachronistic for the period. Hugh and Richard are Norman. Johnny and Marjorie are later Medieval. You could argue that it's petty to cite such errors when an even huger leap of reader faith has to be made to believe in the magic. However, if writer Judith Merkle Riley can do it in her novels AND get the research right, then so can other writers. I love her work, but I am disgruntled!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book ever..., 31 Dec 2003
Clare "Bookaholic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the best book ever written, I beg anyone who reads this not to shed a tear, there are some heart warming moments, some sad.
I read this book in 1 day and the whole trilogy in 3 this is the best out of all the three and I had to go back and re-read this after I had finished I just did not want the story to end.
I initially bought this because it said 'sset in the era of Mists Of Avalon' another book I love but, I personally believe it is just a touch better than Mists.
If you buy this book you will not regret it.
I look forward to more from Juliet Marrillier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic re-telling of Grimm, 22 Aug 2007
A fantastic tale based on a Germanic tale by Brothers Grimm called "The Six Swans". It's a fabulous tale of loss, betrayal and love winning out in the end. Very well written with vivid characters you really start to care about (especially Sorcha the main female who is the seventh child of a seventh son).

The back and tagline say it is "a sweeping Celtic romance" which I am not sure I agree with. The romance aspect doesn't come into the book until near the end, it's much more rooted in mythology and folk tales including the fae and magic along the way. A good comparison would be The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley which tells the Arthurian myths from the female characters eyes.

At the end there are a lot of loose ends which will make the other two books in the series interesting to follow. I can't wait to read more of her writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's one of those books that while you're reading it, you feel like you can't read fast enough, 29 April 2013
Christina (Thessaloniki,Greece) - See all my reviews
And when it's over you wish you had read it more slowly, taking in every scene, the feelings and the scenery.
Personally, I'm a sucker for Celtic/Irish stories, especially when they include fairies, old religions, druids and magic. This book combines all these, based on Andersen's Wild Swans, and a mixture of feelings that grabs you from the start. There's much pain and injustice, but then there's the power of will and of love and the magic that binds it all together and you can't but love this book. As for the scenery and the magic of the forest, I just loved it all..It's like the world I make inside my head to escape reality..

I don't know if I want to read the second book, for now at least, because I'm too attached to these characters.. I couldn't avoid feeling sad for the ones who left, the ones who would never be whole again, like Finbar, and the ones that died (damn you second-book-snippet, you ruined the nice ending!) but there was Sorcha and Red, and their love has left me daydreaming since I finished the book..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 25 May 2007
This is the first historical fantasy novel I ever read and after experiencing this first book of the Sevenwaters trilogy, I immediately bought the other two as well. Daughter of the Forest is beautifully written and it gripped me from the first page onwards. I loved reading about the strong bond between the five brothers and their sister. This book and the whole of the trilogy can be recommended whole-heartedly. A brilliant read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A breathtaking journey through fantasy and romance, 28 May 2003
Fi (South England) - See all my reviews
I stumbled upon this trilogy by accident, and what a find! I was gripped by it from the start, the charcters seem so real, after the first few chapters you feel like you've known them your whole life. Daughter of the forest is an emotional roller coaster, one minute your crying, the next laughing and the next your sat on the edge of your seat with anticipation, terrified for sorcha and her brothers. The story is so finely entwined with magic and our country's mysterious past, that it really is a breathtaking work of art. When sorcha then meets red the romance and beauty, the heartache and sadness is overwhelming, I have never read a book like it, (and i've read alot of books!). It also has a truly magical ending, which ties the story together and finishes it off beautifully. I was gripped by this book like a vice from beginng to end. It made me laugh and it made me cry, I loved the whole thing- it is my favourite book of all time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 22 Sep 2000
By A Customer
I have long been a fanatic of ancient mythical fantasies and this is perhaps one of the best. Even though Sorcha is silenced for the majority of the story, Marillier has evolved her character to the extent that you are inclined to forget that you are reading a piece of fiction and that you are inside Sorcha's head as she deliberates between the fate of her brothers, which she holds in the palm of her hand, and her pre-destined love for Red.
I felt completely isolated as I finished this book, not only due to the lonliness of the main character, but also because I didn't see life in the 2 days it took to complete as it was so engrossing. I have lent my copy out to many friends who feel precisely the same as me and we hate the fact that we must eagerly await the sequel, Son of the Shadows. Having read the excerpt at the end of Daughter of the Forest, I am excited as to how the loose ends are tied. My advice? BUY NOW

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book that you'll want to re-read again and again!, 15 Nov 2005
I read this for the first time about three years ago, since then i have re-read it many times. It' a wonderful book with lovely charecters (especially Red) and a beutiful sometimes tear-jerking plot.I have recommended this book to lots of people and will continue to do so.
Daughter of the forest is the first in a trilogy (son of the shadows is the second book and child of the prophecy is the third)though 'Daughter' is my favourite the other two books are very good too. I have read the authors other series and i didn't enjoy it as much as the sevenwaters trilogy. This has become one of my all time favourites and i highly recommend you buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great great great, 17 July 2006
this is a fantastic book. i remember reading the fairytale when i was younger and i still love it, it was just so romantic and it was nice to ahev the hero a girl for once. and discovering that this book was based ont he fairytale made me, well, delirious. the characters were so strong, especially sorcha. i thought she dealt issues that are relevant today, like the rape and the need for belonging. i fell in love with red and his brother, they were both just so fantsatic, but also enigmatic and not predictable at all. the second book, son of the shadwos, is also great, and i love the whole story line of it. she is alsot like sorcha, but in some ways even stronger. i reccomend it to everyone. i lent it to some friends to read and none of them liked fantasy before this book!

Daughter of the Forest: Book 1 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy
Daughter of the Forest: Book 1 of the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier (Paperback - 3 April 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01