5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a beginner
Published on 25 July 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars lacking...
Published on 13 May 2008 by Jack Hollis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for a beginner, 25 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
We used this book while on a holiday to the Lot Valley in France. Having no particular previous interest in butterflies or moths we were astounded by the variety and size of species we were seeing and delighted to find a copy of this book in our gite. We started by identifying a Hummingbird Moth and were soon engrossed in identifying Scarce Swallowtail butterflies and a whole range of moths. The book is easy to use being divided into wing colour sections and where male and female differ, photographs are provided for both. The fact it covers Europe as well as the UK made us decide to buy the book on our return ... now we can compare what we see in the garden with holidays abroad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Field Guide, 30 July 2006
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
I found this book extremely well set out; very clear 'Double page' format, the butterflies & Moths are 2 or 3 per page and each has a great photo on one side with concise 'at-a-glance' headings of physical details, habitats, caterpillar & Hibernation details. The book is split into colour groups with the edges of each page coloured as to find the correct area of the book to start looking. Also at the fromt isa double page of basics on antennae types, development cycle, caterpillar parts and wing structure. This book is Roughly 18cm by 10.5cm with clear plastic sleeve cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Butterflies and Moths Compendium, 4 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
I am an artist and wanted a good comprehensive guide to butterflies and moths with excellent pictures rather than illustrations for reference material. This little book fits this bill perfectly. I recommend.

2.0 out of 5 stars lacking..., 13 May 2008
Jack Hollis (UK- Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
I brought this book to use mainly as a guide to moths, however it lacks the very basics. I feel it focuses too much on the impressive moth species rather than actually dealing with those more commonly found and in that respect i find it largely disappointing. it seems far more useful as a butterfly guide, however the amount of indentification description given is minimal. so if you are thinking of buying this for moths i strongly suggest you don't, and if your buying this for detailed writings on the subtle differences between species i suggest you don't buy this guide either.

5.0 out of 5 stars great resource, 21 Aug. 2008
J. Southern (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
Having looked at several reference books on butterflies and moths I settled on this one as it contains photos rather than drawings which I find make identification easier, it is ordered in a very logical way and it is a handy size which means being able to carry it alongside camera gear or in a handbag without any trouble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Butterflies and moths of Britain and Europe - Collins paperback, 2 Nov. 2007
Mrs. Ruth M. Simpson (W. Sussex.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
This is a lovely book, beautifully set out, but it is quite a small handbook and the print is quite small. I would have preferred a larger paperback or even hardback so that it was easier to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Butterflies & moths of Britain & Europe, 28 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
Lovely book. Very easy to find a match with the ones in my garden.
Regards
Mrs L.A. Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful little book and I carry it everwhere with me ..., 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
This is a wonderful little book and I carry it everwhere with me when I am out in the countryside. I have found it invaluable in the identification of our local moths and butterflies. I particularly like the way the book groups moths and butterflies by colour i.e blues,browns and whites which means that you can quickly identify them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - met all my expectations!, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
I needed a compromise between a very simple guide and a very comprehensive guide that I possessed. I have other books in the Collins Nature Guide series, and looking at it on line led me to believe that this little volume would fulfil the need (and at a very reasonable price). It is excellent and has met all my expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service., 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths (Paperback)
A handy book with nice photgraphs that fits in a pocket and is not too heavy if you want to take it with you on walk. Quick delivery from a new amazon supplier and a good price too. Would use Bookitful again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths
Collins Nature Guide - Butterflies and Moths by T. Marktanner (Paperback - 8 Jun. 1995)
Used & New from: £0.01