5.0 out of 5 stars Superb field Guide

3.0 out of 5 stars too much
Published 8 months ago by Welk

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb field Guide, 2 April 2003
Square one (South west UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Spiders of Britain and Northern Europe (Collins Field Guide) (Hardcover)
I agree with other reviews of this that it is not a casual users book but if you want a concise but comprehensive guide to spiders in the UK with a detailed key and outstanding information on how to examine / study these species then this is the book you want. The information on needed equipment is outstanding and the species descriptions are bettered only by the superb drawings. Overall I was very impressed with this book and whilst it *isn't* a coffee table book on spiders it is a superb field guide just as it claims 'on the box'

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic of Arachnology, 4 Mar. 2005
This is a wonderful book that will inspire many to take a greater interest in the fascinating lives of spiders. Dr Roberts begins the book with helpful and useful guidance on how to trap and study spiders, as well as clear information about the biology of spiders. The colour plates are beautiful, and the detailed drawings of the identifying spider genitalia that litter the book are amazing. Each species is described and has comments about habitat and distribution, with additional information at family and genus level. A fellow reviewer does have a point that this may not be the ideal book if you want to have an attempt at identifying the more obvious spiders in your back garden - if this is the case you might be better with the Field Studies Council laminated card guide to house and garden spiders. However, anyone with more than a passing interest in spiders should buy this wonderful book, and let Dr Roberts inspire them to watch and try to identify the hundreds of spiders we have in the UK. And if it really inspires you, follow it up with tracking down Dick Jones "Country Life Guide to Spiders of Britain and Europe" and WS Bristowes "The World of Spiders". Both are long out of print but easy to get through the Abebooks site or similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 April 2009
Rinoa Cameron "snowbug" (Rushden, Northamptonshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Myself and my partner have been using this book to identify the spiders we photograph. So far it has provided clear, precise diagrams which we have used to identify hundreds of spiders.

The book also provides adequate information on every species to be able to learn about them.

It's small enough to carry around, and has been used by us time and time again.

Thumb's up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, 22 Feb. 2010
Very good book but I agree with another reviewer in the fact that this is in a more advanced level for entomologists and not for the average naturalist. Take my word since I am a Biologist my self. This book has amazing ilustrations but in many cases ( a lot) one can not identify a species by only comparing it to a plate. One has to use dichotomic keys (which are included)which can be a little anoying or too much for the average person and take the fun out of identifying spiders. Apart from that I recomend a microscope and not only a hand magnifier lens since in MANY small sized especimens you will need extra magnification for examining in detail structures like spinners, palps, etc.
But the again if you are a Biologist, naturalist, or simply are really intrested in european spiders its worth having in your book shelf as a reference.
I have used it here in Norway to identify spiders and have been succesful with almost all specimens I have examined.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for field identification of species, 22 May 2010
R. Sleaford (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book around the time I began writing my Masters thesis on agricultural spiders of the UK. The first few chapters are useful for a basic understanding of spider biology and body structure and the colour plates are excellent (my only complaint being that there aren't more of them). The chapters on species identification that make up the bulk of the book are well written and helped enormously with identification of the species I'd sampled.

As far as I know, this is the best book on UK spiders that is affordable and in print. I use it for reference purposes every week and would be lost without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiders!!, 4 Jan. 2010
D. M. Stow "Bookworm" (UK) - See all my reviews
There is little info available about our native spiders but this book has it all; drawings, biology, taxa, groupings, colour illustrations.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Major identification guide., 2 Oct. 2009
Easy to use and small enough to carry around with you.I use this book to identify the spiders I photograph. A much-needed book to arachnid identification!

3.0 out of 5 stars too much, 6 Sept. 2014
Whew - this is comprehensive but not for the casual dog walker who wants to know just a bit more. Its for somebody who wants to really really study spiders. For me I need a book with more photos- on the web and in habitat - clearer idea of scale - using common names and with a few titbits of info but there is nothing out there of that ilk! Something between spot the dog and this. The more I look at spiders the more I want to know but this is just too over whelming.

For content it cannot be anything other than a 5 star but for what I wanted I will be giving this a 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Spider Book, Spider Book, does whatever a... spider book does, 1 Feb. 2010
H. Burton - See all my reviews
This is a very detailed and academic book. Lots of detailed and painstakingly drawn diagrams showing different species' bodies. An abundance of Latin names. Loads of colour plates showing different spiders. This book was bought as a Christmas present for a teenage boy. I expected facts and photos, but it's not like that at all. I expect it will come into its own in spring and summer, when it can be used to help identify the spiders in the shed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review, 10 Feb. 2013
The book was recommended to me as I was looking for a guide to British spiders it meets all my needs. I would recommend it to others

Spiders of Britain and Northern Europe (Collins Field Guide)
Spiders of Britain and Northern Europe (Collins Field Guide) by Michael J. Roberts (Hardcover - 5 Nov. 2001)