4.0 out of 5 stars COLLIN�S REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS, BRITAIN & EUROPE
We have five copies of the first edition of Collins field guide "Reptiles & Amphibians" in our laboratory, which we use almost daily. For last 6 months I have been waiting for my very own copy of the second edition, but every time I tried to order, I received the message "not yet published". Once I finally received my own copy, I was not disappointed.
This...
Published on 6 Nov. 2002 by Davor Zanella

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best guide on the market
This guide has helped me to identify some of the species I have photographed on my travels and it's probably the only best guide available on the market at the moment.

Published on 29 Aug. 2006 by Ms. Srv Herault

4.0 out of 5 stars COLLIN�S REPTILES AND AMPHIBIANS, BRITAIN & EUROPE, 6 Nov. 2002
Davor Zanella (Zagreb, HR Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reptiles and Amphibians of Britain and Europe (Collins Field Guide) (Hardcover)
This long-awaited second edition includes a more comprehensive and easier to use identification key with many more species and subspecies, including those which have been introduced to Europe (i.e. the red eared Terrapin Trachemys scripta which was previously found only in the Americas). The addition of 66 new distribution maps is also a valuable tool in determination. More plates have been added (i.e. sea turtles, skinks, Canary Island lizards, lacertas - new plate with 5 new species described). New species of snake have been added and described (i.e. 2 new species from the Colubridae family and 1 new viper).
The species are listed and described according the newest systematic classifications, thanks to genetic research since the first edition, aiding both the professional biologist and amateur nature lover in making a concise and correct identification in the field.
"Reptiles & Amphibians" has completed my Collins issue library of other valuable field guides, such as Collin's Bird and Mammals, Collin's Fishes, etc...

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 15 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
This book is quite simply the best field guide to the Reptiles and Amphibians of the region. This revised edition now has all the plates grouped together for ease of reference and also includes many new species not previously covered.
If you only buy one field guide then buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the wait, 25 Dec. 2005
I have the 1978 edition of this book and have always hoped there would be a revised, updated edition but knowing how long it must have taken to research I never thought it would be done. Well here it is and with newly discovered sub specieces, variations, Canary Island inclusions(if only I had the book last july when I was in Tenerife) it is well worth the wait. The plates are grouped together and good plates of the additional species. The maps have been revised and expanded too. I shall take it with me to Turkey & N Cyprus next august as it is just about small enough for carrying around. This is a very comprehensive reference/field book and is a must have for all reptile enthusiasts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best guide on the market, 29 Aug. 2006
Ms. Srv Herault "smi12308" (Swansea, GB) - See all my reviews

However, I only give 3 stars to this book as I find that having to look at the plates which refer you to a page number for the full text description which sends you to a map number at the end of the book for distribution, really annoying, frustrating and time wasting. I have at home a new publication on dragonflies of Europe where everything (plates/text/distribution map) is on the same page!! Why can't Collins do that?

This publication is certainly very useful for the identification of species in general but contains some errors on the distribution of some species (maybe in need to be updated). For example, I have found some Common Tree Frogs in the Camargue (South of France) where the book shows that they are inexistant in the area.

Apart from that, the keys for identification are very good, the plates are excellent and the text description is full of useful information (habitat, detailed description including colour, length etc., similar species...). This is a book for any enthusiastic herpetologists.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all herp lovers, 5 Feb. 2006
This is the best herp book i've got...
It is very helpful, and full of colour plates, showing the main sub-species and geographical variations likely to be seen in Europe, including the Canary Islands and some of the islands off the coast of Asiatic Turkey (Sadly not Cyprus).
I'm planning on taking it on a school trip to see WW1 battlefields in March (6th-9th), to Belgium and France, and as I am sure I wil be able to see some herps, this book will prove very useful in identifing the species I may come across...

4.0 out of 5 stars Collins Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe, 19 Jan. 2010
W. Jones (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
I can only add to the comments made by other users, this is the best book for the area covered and anyone interested in herps should get this book.

However there are a couple of personal niggles. It would be nice if it covered a greater area, such as North Africa, Cyprus and Asiatic Turkey, even at the expense of a slighly larger book. It could also be more user friendly with plates. maps and at least some of the more vital text in one place.

However these are minor problems and it remains a must buy book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best European guide, no doubt!, 1 July 2013
It is one of the most complete field guides that I ever seen, I used it in Italy, France, Slovenia and soon in Balkans and Greece. Here you can find all the European species of reptiles and amphibians, the key to their identifications, description and drawings of amphibian eggs and larvae as well as description of habits, calls and other useful information. All the Greek, and Canary islands are covered and the drawings are well done (apart from Laudakia stellio maybe, but it isn't a great problem).
Trust me, this is the best friend you can have during your trips in Europe or simply if you are interested in European herpetofauna.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book full of information, 20 Mar. 2012
I have had this book for a number of years now and have used it a lot when we have travelled into Europe. It covers reptiles and amphibians from the Canaries to the Greek islands....and beyond! So much of the information is so accurate, and it has helped me to know what I'm going to find and in what type of habitat.
I find that skipping from the coloured illustration pages (which are brilliant) to the information pages and then to the maps is a bit time consuming, but at least all the info is there. I can highly recommend this 2002 edition.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and complete, 22 Feb. 2010
Its a very good and complete guide of all the known reptiles in Europe. I dond give this 5 stars because this is one of those type of guides which have the distribution maps all together in the end of the book, which makes it a little unpractical when you are on the field and want to identify a criter.
But overall its a good guide with a lot of useful information to identify reptiles in the field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide and Reference Book, 11 Jan. 2011
Alan W. Burnside (California) - See all my reviews
This is the best guide and reference book to European reptiles and
amphibians on the market.

There is a vast amount of information in this compact volume.

The illustrations, maps, and identification guides are flawless.

I would recommend it to anyone without reservations.

Reptiles and Amphibians of Britain and Europe (Collins Field Guide)