Published on 4 Dec 2010 by Ashtar Command

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning- not all of the Middle East included
I bought this book exclusively for Middle East coverage and am very disappointed. None of the pre-buy book descriptions define the coverage of "Middle East". So after struggling with shipping problems I find that where I am in the Middle East isn't even covered.
The intro says it covers south to the 27oN latitude - which is probably less than the top quarter of...
Published on 23 May 2003 by Marie Schatz

4.0 out of 5 stars If you see a bird that's not included in this field guide, please call 999, 4 Dec 2010
This review is from: Collins Pocket Guide - Birds of Britain and Europe (Paperback)
This is the 1995 edition of "Birds of Britain and Europe, with North Africa and the Middle East", the almost classical field guide to European birds, edited by Hermann Heinzel, Richard Fitter and John Parslow. The guide was originally published in 1972 (I actually have a Swedish translation of the original), and new editions have appeared on a semi-regular basis since. In 1995, the guide was so substantially revised, that it essentially became an entirely new book.

The guide covers a vast geographic area: Europe including the European part of Russia, North Africa, the Caucasus, and the Middle East north of Saudi Arabia and west of Teheran. It further covers the Canary Islands, Madeira and the Azores. The breeding birds of East Greenland are also included, since they are all European birds. I honestly don't understand the point of covering such a vast and variegated area, but it sure is exciting with a field guide that can be used in both Khuzestan, Moscow, Lapland and the City of London! Twitching, anyone? The book covers both breeding species, migrants and rare vagrants. The ambition of the authors to cover all bird species found within "their" area has led them to include the Ostrich (because one Ostrich was washed downstream to Jordan from Saudi Arabia in 1966) and the Budgerigar (because they tend to escape from captivity). This may strike some people as ridiculous. Personally, I find it entertaining. Besides, it makes the book the easily most comprehensive field guide to European, North African and Middle Eastern birds. If you see a bird that's not included in this book, you are probably hallucinating!

"Birds of Britain and Europe" is published in paperback on water-resistant paper, and is easy to carry around. It illustrats over 800 species, all in color. The quality of the illustrations range from tolerable to good. The color plates and the text are on facing pages, and range maps are included. An absolute beginner may find the sheer number of species forbidding, and some of the illustrations too small. If so, I rather recommend a field guide covering a more restricted geographic area.

Personally, I think "Birds of Britain and Europe" is one of the better European birding guides. But no, don't take my word for it. I might be somewhat partial to Heinzel & Co, since I bought the original edition already as a kid, and have an unhealthy obsession with vagrants, hybrids and implanted species, LOL. If you're really interested in European birds and bird-watching, you might as well invest in both this book, Svensson's "Complete guide to the birds of Europe" and Jonsson's "Birds of Europe".

The Washed Down Ostrich fan club, over and out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
Don't leave home without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars collins pocket guide - birds of britain and europe, 6 April 2014
book in excellent condition.

does what it says on the tin!

meets expectations, clear concise and highly recommended for a beginner like me

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful, 7 Mar 2014
We spend most of our time in Portugal and its wonderful to be able to identify all the birds which come into our garden. If I had a small criticism, it is that I find the way the birds are grouped can be confusing, if I don't know what I am looking for. But once I have found the bird, then I understand why it is in a certain group. So its all a learning exercise for me and this book is helping loads. Well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 12 Oct 2013
I will be travelling to Europe next year and needed a concise book on birds for my bird watching hobby

5.0 out of 5 stars classic bird book, 30 Sep 2013
J. Middleton (UK) - See all my reviews
I needed this to cover the middle east as well as european birds. Although it was published some years ago, it covers more birds than the Collins guide and the illustrations are good. Item arrived in good condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars very informative guide book, 12 July 2013
Very comprehensive guide to birds, but you would need very large pockets to accommodate this book. I had hoped it would be smaller.

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy companion to Collins Wild Flowers., 1 Jun 2013
Lived up to all my expectations & can't understand why I didn't buy it years ago. Covering Eurpe as well as Britain & as I live in
France it covers more or less all new birds I might see.Must recommend "Wild Flowers" (same series)which I have used for
over 60yrs.Am thinking that "Insects" & "Trees" could possibly be to the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 28 Dec 2012
Lost my previous copy. Still don't know where it is. This is a clasic that I needed to replace and at a superb price. I thought I wouldn't get a replacement at all, but..

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 1 Dec 2011
Great value for a secondhand book, this is one of the most comprehensive field guides I own, great for taking on holiday. But if you are looking for a garden bird book this contains too many species to allow quick I'd

Collins Pocket Guide - Birds of Britain and Europe
Collins Pocket Guide - Birds of Britain and Europe by John Parslow (Paperback - 2 July 2001)
Used & New from: 0.01