5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Clearly a second hand book, but at the price really worth it,
Published 7 months ago by M J Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing subject - dull treatment.
Published on 3 Feb. 2013 by Jo Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing subject - dull treatment., 3 Feb. 2013
Jo Anderson "Scottish writer" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berthe Morisot (Hardcover)
This book is beautifully produced (Collins), and has that stunning cover portrait of Berthe Morisot by Edouard Manet on the dust jacket. I agreed with another critic that I didn't like the artist being called 'Morisot' all the way through, although I know this is the tendency in modern biographies of women. Perhaps there was a whiff of the university thesis about the treatment- you know the kind of thing - Make it as impersonal as you can! It hasn't inspired me, though I can find no fault with the facts. Anne Higonnet quotes Mallarme speaking of Berthe "in his elliptical poetic way". Ms Higonnet could do with a little ellipsis and poetry herself. for I kept thinking I didn't want to pick the book up again, as it was rather dull. However, it does its job efficiently as far as the life is concerned. One would have liked to hear a lttle more about the dramatic reversal in the public appreciation of Berthe Morisot's art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Berthe Morisot (Hardcover)
Clearly a second hand book, but at the price really worth it,

Berthe Morisot
Berthe Morisot by Anne Higonnet (Hardcover - 19 July 1990)
Used & New from: £0.01