• Scoop

Format: Audio Cassette|Change

on 8 February 2013
mums book club enjoyed and discussed this some didnt get it too old?? in their minds. or unfamiiar with setting
on 18 August 2014
Bought this for my daughter and noticed it was finished within days, therefore must have been popular
on 16 February 2016
Felt a bit dated from when I last read it in my teens even though the issues are still topical.
on 22 October 2014
30 years ago it was hilarious. Now it seems old fashioned, tedious and heavy handed
on 27 July 2013
How the world and I have changed since 1978, when I first read Scoop and found it so brilliantly funny. I was younger then than Waugh was when he wrote it, and 'The Black and White Minstrel Show' was still on the telly. All the racial and cultural stereotyping masquerading as humour washed over me, and I delighted in Boot's naive, wordy telegrams, and the pompous Lord Copper, and the conversational style of the residents of Boot Magna that reminded me of my mother at her most infuriating, and much else. But now the stereotyping reads as offensive and unfunny, and the whole thing as contrived, smug and bumptious. I didn't laugh once, and I winced constantly. I'm glad that my book group picked it, because I will now desist from my shameful habit of recommending it as one of the funniest books ever. The satire of the press is still good, but otherwise yuck.
on 1 May 2016
Good satire of journalism Typical florid writing of the author
on 17 March 2015
a brilliant novel that everyone should read. very humorous!
on 10 August 2015
One of the best book's in the English language
on 17 October 2013
Do we think the Kindle version will ever be reissued? Scoop is a hoot of a novel. I long to re-read it but on Kindle so that I can carry it about with ease.
on 9 December 2015