5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
This was the first book I read completely on my own and it is still one of my all time favorite books. I love reading it to my children and to myself in the bath!!!
It is Roald Dahl at his best. Three truly awful farmers and a rather clever fox(who happens to be missing his tail). Definitely one for the 5-10 age group(and for all you big kids out there).
Published on 16 Feb 2006 by Ek Stewart

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
It'a lovely tale where a cunning fox manages to outwit a group of greedy farmers, but I can't help thinking that this is one of Dahl's weaker books. The illustrations are gorgeous though.
Published 17 months ago by Martensgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 16 Feb 2006
Ek Stewart "Book Explorer" (Newport, South Wales) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Class 4S Newstead School, 8 Nov 2006
We think that Fantastic Mr Fox is one of the best books we have read at school. We liked it so much that we bought the play and we are now working on that. The characters of the farmers were fantastic, we especially liked the way Roald Dahl described Bean and his ears with chewing gum, wax and dead flies. We are now looking forward to Big Writing day to write what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique short Roald Dahl novella, 17 Jun 2007
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Of all the shorter Roald Dahl stories, Fantastic Mr Fox is the most heartwarming.

It may not have the wicked humour of The Twits or the wild, extravagant fantasy of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but there is a heart and sincerity in this story that makes this a special book among the shorter Roald Dahl stories. Yet this story has a distinctly Dahl flavouring about it. Apart from being a tale of the unexpected, it offers us not just one but three revolting villains in the guise of Boggis, Bunce and Bean. I know that like most of Dahl's first few villains in his earlier books, these villains might not be as yucky as The Grand High Witch or the Twits, but their selfishness and nastiness are equally loathsome. Another thing about this story is in how Dahl develops the relationship between Mr Fox and his family. Despite the loss of his tail, he demonstrates his boundless love of his family by resolutely helping everyone to fight for their own survival in the face of the three farmers.

Fantastic Mr Fox is a beautifully written Dahl story that uses simple, yet picturesque language. It shows how the delicacy of the Beatrix Potter animal stories had a passing influence on Dahl's anthropomorphic animal stories. However, there is something deeper in this story. Although Dahl had explored the relationship between Charlie and Grandpa Joe, this theme of relationships between a grown-up and an adult seems to mature in this book. This can be seen through the sincere, genuine love that Mr Fox shows to his family, and how it gave everyone the strength to survive in the face of the adversity of the farmers. In this light this book ought to be an understated Dahl classic, and should also mark a turning-point in his career as a children's author. I like to think how Mr Fox is a foreshadowing of Danny the Champion of the World. Both books rely on the same themes and the same idyllic country setting.

In short, this is really a wonderful Dahl story, written with warmth, detail and humanism. I think it should count among the best of Dahl's early children's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars This story is most certainly fantasic!!!!, 27 Sep 2005
Max (England, Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
I am a huge Roald Dahl fan, because how he weaves the magic in his children's tales, but I have to say, this a diffrent Roald Dahl story, but it is truly terrific! I read it when I was 10 years old and I am now twelve years old, I still look back at this story and think what a spectauclar story it was about! Roald Dahl's quirky and unique imagination wants me to be a children's author and that is what I'm going to be when I'm older. Here's an extract from the orignal book:
"Mr. Fox poked his face out of the hole. He poked his long, handsome face out into the night air, and sniffed once. He sniffed once, and moved then he heard a sound. It sounded like if somebody was moving in a patch of dry leaves. "It must have been a fieldmouse!" He said or some other small animal..." Buy this fablous story to find out what happened next...
From a Roald Dahl Fan;
Max William James Keogh
P.S Hopefully I will be a author for children, like you are!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Mr Dahl!, 27 May 2008
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox (Paperback)
A terrific tale of three mean and nasty farmers who decide to catch Mr Fox whatever it takes. The three vile villains are nasty but foolish, a combination that keeps them on the right side of scary for a more sensitive child.
And so they dig down and down, first with spades and then with mechanical diggers. The race is on.
And then, how on earth can the daring and resourceful Mr Fox sit out a siege and keep his family safe from starvation?
The clever and daring Mr Fox fights for survival with bravery and daring through secret passages and an underground world.
There's a magnificent finale, a great banquet, and my older children (5&7) love Mr Fox's inspired vision of a triumphant new way life for all the underground animals, while leaving the three mean farmers still waiting out in the rain.
With Quentin Blake's funny black and white illustrations on every page and many short chapters, the text is amusing and imaginatively descriptive as you'd expect from Mr Dahl. It also includes those little disgusting touches that children love such as "Bean's earholes were clogged with all kinds of muck and wax and bits of chewing-gum and dead flies and stuff like that."

This is one of my favourite Dahl stories: a short and snappy chapter book that can be read aloud in less than an hour and is guaranteed to hold the attention of a young listener from about age 5. It's fast paced, with enough excitement, danger and momentum to appeal from Key Stage 1 though children (and adults) who are considerably older will enjoy reading it to themselves. And with gun-toting farmers on the prowl and terrible tractors wrecking havoc on the hill, it's a particularly good story with which to entice reluctant boys.

If you are looking for more of Roald Dahl's magic for the younger age-group The Magic Finger, Esio Trot and The Twits next.

If you like the Robin Hood redistribution from rich and nasty farmers to the poor and worthy then you might also try the longer but every-bit-as-magnificent Danny Champion of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most magical books you will ever pick up., 20 Oct 2001
By A Customer
Written by Mr Roald Dahl (who is in my opinion one of the greatest authors to ever put pen to paper) this a story about a crafty fox who constantly poaches items from the three farmers who live down in the valley, the three farmers are the most nasty despicable men you will ever meet, First we have Boggis the chicken Farmer a very fat man who eats nothing but chicken for every meal of the day, next we have Bunce a small dwarf of a man who has a duck and goose farm and finnaly we have Bean, farmer Bean is a Turkey and Apple farmer who is the smartest of the three and very tall indeed he also enjoys nothing more than drinking vast amounts of strong cider.
One night Mr Fox goes down to the farms with the intention of stealing food and drink for his himself and his family, Mr Fox has a loving wife and four little cubs who adore him more than anything, anyway while he is out on the prowl he is ambushed by the three farmers and has his lovely long bushy tail shot off, this leaves him in a vast amount of pain but still alive he then sets about on a plan to ruin the three farmers once and for all, and that is where I will leave my commentary of the book as I really don't want to spoil the fun that follows.
This book brings back so many fantastic memories for me as it was one of the first books I ever read, and the beauty of this is that unlike many of the books I had read and loved during my childhood Fantastic Mr Fox still stands as such a charming and magical piece that I can't help but love it, and as with many of Roald Dahls books the illustrations are provided by Quentin Blake and as usual this only goes to enhance the book ten fold. His scratchy illustrations really match the whole feel of what Roald was creating.
The only problem I have at the moment is that I have no children of my own so I have to read it all on my own which although is still a joy I feel it would be so nice to read it to a child and hopefully attract them to the enchanted stories Roald Dahl conjured up with such grace and ease, I have however read it to my 10 niece on numerous occasions and she loves it to pieces.
If you have never read any Roald Dahl or if you feel you children could do with getting there noses into some books instead of sitting around and watching way too much television then this is the book for you as it will take you and them on such a wonderful journey that you will have head off to the bookstore to grab a copy of one of his other superb stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three farmers try to dig up Mr. Fox and his family, 16 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I wish I had read Roald Dahl when I was a lad, because his ingenious and irreverent children's books would have been of great help in warping my fragile little mind. "Fantastic Mr. Fox" is Dahl's take on the "garden tale" popularized by Beatrix Potter. We are introduced to a trio of farmers; "Boggis and Bunce and Bean / One fat, one short, one lean. / These horrible crooks / So different in looks / Were nonetheless equally mean." The trio raises chickens, geese and turkeys respectively and are the favorite target of Mr. Fox when he goes out each night to fetch a meal for his family. Finally the farmers band together, try using what little brains they have, and go after Mr. Fox with guns, then shovels, and eventually mechanical shovels, forcing our hero to use all his wits and wiles to keep his family safe from the humans.
Anybody who is old enough to read will enjoy this story, but it is probably targeted at younger children. The villains are comical enough not to be too terrifying; actually, they are just stupid and gross (would you really stuff a doughnut with goose livers?). What will appeal to children is how Mr. Fox keeps his family safe by staying one step ahead of the three farmers. But then the story takes an interesting turn, because he also ends up helping the entire community of animals as well, providing a most satisfying ending of living happily ever after (except for the three farmers, who deserve their less glorious fate). Such a noble and intelligent creature.
"Fantastic Mr. Fox" was originally published in 1970, and I have been toying around with possible allegorical meanings to the tale being told, but nothing really fits well enough to actually make a case at this point in time. Sometimes a children's story is just a children's story and animals outsmart humans because that is the way of such things in the magical world of children's literature. The illustrations by Quentin Blake suit the story perfectly and become an integral part of the story when the terrible tractors are brought in do dig up Mr. Fox and his family. Note: There is a play version of "Fantastic Mr. Fox," adapted by Sally Reid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine story, 5 April 2009
A. Hasnath (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox (Paperback)
I found this book incredibly moving - the reader roots for the foxes throughout their battles with the farmers.
I also found thought-provoking how it depends on perspective as to whether the foxes are heros, as to the farming cognoscenti they are efficient, cunning hunters who prey on their stock and need to be dealt with.

I myself was swayed by Dahl's homely personification of the foxes and enjoyed their triumph.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Mr Fox, 13 Feb 2009
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox (Paperback)
I purchased this book for a light hearted joke a Christmas for my Husband as we have chickens and are constantly worrying about the fox, we did lose one to the fox in October 08 just like the story book, my husband read it and thoroughly enjoyed it, I am going to pass it on to my neighbours son as they also have chickens!
Tina W

5.0 out of 5 stars J.k who ? Dahl is still the best ., 8 Dec 2002
By A Customer
For those previously unaware of the most gifted and imaginative childrens author in recent history.The Fantastic Mr Fox is a great way to start.The story twists and turns creating an atmosphere that makes Hogwarts seem rather boring.Truly mesmorising stuff by one of the greats.Accompanied by a reading which is full of the character and wit which made Mr Dahl famous .

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 5 Aug 1996)
Out of stock