am i the ONLY person who actually likes the name renesmee?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Aug 2008 19:12:45 BDT
Looking on this and other fansites/discussion sites, everyone seems to be in uproar about the name. am i the only person who actually likes this name?

i thinks its really pretty and i like the fact its unusual. I love the fact that its a combination of renee and esme's names. I've seen a couple of people suggesting that it SM should have incorperated Edwards birth mother - Elizabeth, into Renesmee's name. I disagree with this completely. Although yes Edward was born to her, I see Esme as his true mother. However, i think it would have been nice to have it as a middle name, i.e Renesmee Carlie Elizabeth Cullen - bit of a mouthful but oh well =].

Bella and Edward arent your usual couple so why would their daughter have a usual name? to be honest i like the name carlie too and i like the fact its after charlie and carlisle, but when i read it i did think 'hmm, thats a bit... normal'. haha.

Finally, I HATED the nickname nessie at first. My reaction was pretty much that of Bella's in the book. Renesmee is in my opinion a beautiful name so why downgrade it to something based on the Loch Ness Monster?? However, it did grow on me more and more throughout the book. Still not as pretty as Renesmee though =]]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Aug 2008 23:45:36 BDT
I have to say, though I didn't like all aspects of BD, and I wasn't 100% a major fan of Renesmee as an addition to the Twilight story, I didn't hate the name. You're right that it's proper it should be unusual and tbh I don't think it's the horrible sounding. Okay, weird, yes, but Renesmee is actually quite a beautiful sounding name. Say it aloud a few times, it's unique and I like it.
I have to say though, someone mentioned this on amazon.com and I have to agree, it seems a little odd that her first name should be based on Esme and Renee. Esme is barely developed as a character in the books. I do like her from what we know, but it's not like she's ever shown herself as a major player. And Renee..well, I'm going to be honest, I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks this, but I am not a fan of Renee at all. She's just a big child who had to have her daughter look after her and pretty irresponsible and selfish if you ask me. Not mother of the year by any means.
On the other hand, Carlie is Renesmee's middle name. Carlisle is the founder of the Cullen coven and the vegetarian extraordinaire and all the rest, obviously Edward's hero. And Charlie is like the greatest character ever in my opinion, he's one of my favourites to read about and he's just generally a simple, decent and caring bloke. A great father to Bella to the best of his abilities and suited to her, as she takes after him far more than Renee anyway. So wouldn't it have made more sense to have Carlie as the first name? It just seems like the two father figures have much more bearing on the characters' lives overall and thus it would make more sense to name the demon spawn after them.
Anyway I am rambling on and on and on so yeah, enough. But back to the original topic, I still think Renesmee is actually quite a nice name.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2008 01:45:18 BDT
Zarla says:
I really liked it . The name suggests all kinds of symbolism..renaissance..reunion..resume..resolution..plus it is a combination of human/vampire names..Renee and Esme, so it fits Bella and Edward's child,a hybrid.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2008 09:46:53 BDT
hmm i agree with you completely about the fact that carlisle and charlie do have a bigger role in the books, therefore it would have made sense for carlie to be the first name, however. Im kind of glad it isnt, mainly because ive grown attached to that name and its so beautiful in my opinion. I do like Esme a lot and like you said, from what we know of her, she seems absolutely lovely. I am not renee's biggest fan though she does seem like a big child. I think a hell of a lot of both carlisle and charlie. for pretty much the same reasons you said - charlie is just kind, loving and understanding. and carlisle is well, amazing full stop. Therefore im glad their names were incorperated too. Still glad with the overall choice though =]]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Aug 2008 17:22:43 BDT
Wessie Pang says:
Initially, I didn't really like the name Renesmee, but it has grown on me! Like other posters have said, it represents the vampire-human hybrid and is a tribute to Renee and Esme.
Nessie is a really silly-sounding way to shorten such a meaningful and unique name, so I am as outraged as Bella! I was rooting for an EJ all through Bella's pregnancy though.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2008 21:47:51 BDT
L. Robinson says:
renesmee carlie cullen...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2008 08:09:48 BDT
I think the name is sweet and fits her exactly. I really did like the idea of EJ if it was a boy but Renesmee Carlie is lovely.
At first I thought that them having a baby was a little out of the blue and farfetched. But then I remembered that the story is farfetched also and so the child fits in perfectly. I think the baby brought Edward and Bella closer together and personally, was really overjoyed when Edward heard Renesmee's first thoughts about Bella. So sweet!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2008 06:33:48 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Sep 2008 11:28:43 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2008 19:23:40 BDT
Jolin says:
I thought Nessie was a cuter name tbh. Then again I bet I am the only one, Renesmee does not sound nice when I say it aloud. I can't even say it sometimes.....maybe I am reading it wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2008 20:25:13 BDT
Nessie.. LOL.. poor kid.. well not so much a kid since she has the accelerated growth. I did not like that, I felt that if kept Bella and Edward from bonding with Renesmee.. that and the fact that Jacob and Rosalie were always butting in.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2008 15:11:47 BDT
Kirsty says:
I really do not likemthe name renesmee it just sounds too weird i prefer Nessie! i think they should have called her Carlie instead much nicer (and it's actually a real name) but the thing is i am all for weird names i LOVE them but Renesmee just makes me cringe for some reason

Posted on 7 Feb 2009 19:40:11 GMT
I love the name, hate the character! It's like she drags Bella away from Edward. Yeh, yeh, I know. I'm a total sucker for romanticism stuff! Carlie is a nicer name though, but Jacob needed his say in the matter, didn't he? Carlie is knd of hard to shorten.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2009 01:42:37 GMT
i liked the name - i love unusual names
i loved renesmee as a character as well
and i didnt like the nickname nessie at first it and if talking about this book i wud call her renesmee not nessie
i dont think a normal ordinary name wud hav suited the book or the character i mean the names in the cullen family arnt exactly ordinary borin names are they - emmet, rosalie, carlisle

Posted on 28 Mar 2009 22:30:50 GMT
Ad astra says:
nope i love the name Renesmee too, its original and suits the character, all the other cullen family have unordainary names , so so should she. not quite sure about Nessie though - half human vampire baby and the loch ness monster don't quite mix somehow.

Posted on 15 Apr 2009 22:36:48 BDT
Um, this is probably a bit too obvious (sorry if it is) but I didn't even think of the pronunciation until my daughter referred to her as (my attempts at phonetics here) Renny-smee. I had to tell her that I thought it was more Ren-ezmay. Just wondered if any of the readers who thought it sounded weird might have been reading it the same way my daughter did - she had the same problem with Hermione in the Harry Potter books when she started reading those.

Posted on 27 Apr 2009 09:04:40 BDT
Judy G says:
I agree with S.Whitehouse; I think it's meant to be pronounced "Ren-ezmay".
I actually really like the name! Although, if it IS meant to be pronounced "Renny-smee"...

Posted on 27 Apr 2009 13:04:00 BDT
Dora's Angel says:
In the book it tells you how to say it: Ruh-nez-may. Although, my friend still doesn't know how to say it and calls her Resemee. We tried to get her to call her Nessie but she stuck with Resemee. I like the name (Renesmee not Resemee) but I think Nessie's cute. But Stephenie could have made other variations like Renny or somethin like that. My other friend calls her that.

Posted on 19 May 2009 22:51:35 BDT
Adybobs says:
I thought Renesmee (ruh-nez-may) was just a purely awful name, I still do, and Nessie????? What was she thinkning??? Carlie is much prettier and simpler.

Posted on 27 Aug 2009 20:46:45 BDT
L. Foster says:
i thought the name Renesmee was great and I think it fits in with Bella and Edward's characters.
It would have been nice though if Renee and Esme had bigger roles throughout the books but can you imagine Edward and Bella calling their child something more normal (like Tracey or Britney?)..No i can't either, it just wouldn't have worked...although SM could have gone totally outthere and named her after a fruit or gone for a more Buffy inspired vamp name like Spike? or Angel?

Posted on 6 Sep 2009 21:13:14 BDT
Flamingstorm says:
To be honest I like the name Renesmee, it just seems to fit well, I got use to it the second it came in. Later in the book when even Bella is referring to her as Nessie it is really annoying, not enough for me to dislike the book (a name cant ruin a book for me) but enough for me to be a little disappointed at. The way the name comes from the 2 names also makes it seem really meaningful and thoughtful for other characters, likewise with the middle name.
With the idea of Edward's real mother's name I dont agree it should have a part. Edward has 17 years with his real mother, Esme has been with him as a mother for something like 90 years (give or take a bit), so Esme is a lot more meaningful. The idea of how it is also family based like how the Cullen's are a family makes it work better too with Esme

Posted on 25 Mar 2010 17:41:48 GMT
Sapphire fox says:
yes

Posted on 14 Apr 2010 21:30:12 BDT
i think renesmee is a gorgeous name, its really nice gow they mixed the two mothers for the girl. i think carlie is a nice name too, very clever of the author to think of that. i dont understand why anyone would have a problem with the name. nessie really annoyed me though, she had such a beautiful name, and the nick name just sounded ridiculous!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2010 19:17:31 BDT
Missy Hoppe says:
I agree with this. Renesmee Carlie Elizabeth Cullen would have been completely perfect for her name. I do think that Renesmee is a very pretty name, though. It's certainly unique. I don't mind Nessie, but I can see where it upset Bella at first.

Posted on 27 Jul 2010 12:43:46 BDT
Fiction Fan says:
yes (probably)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  23
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  7 Aug 2008
Latest post:  27 Jul 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about