on 10 December 2013
"Mr Selfridge" is being shown here on DSTV in South Africa and follows on from the showing of Series 2 of "Downton Abbey". Therefore i was expecting a let down after the excellence of "Downton Abbey", but to my pleasant suprise, this English TV Drama series is in my opinion a worthy competitor to "Downton Abbey" and dare i say it, i think it is a better series.

The attention to detail of the period is outstanding,the plot concerning the founding and running of Selfridges London Store is intriguing and cannot wait for each weekly episode and am suprised that it did not get any Emmy Awards. Mr Selfridge played by Jeremy Niven cannot be faulted, while the rest of the cast play their roles superbly.
The plot flows so sublimely, far better than "Downton Abbey" and you are transported in to early 20th century London quite magnificently.

A must see for lovers of quality English period dramas.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 February 2013
I adore both the actresses Frances O'Connor and Zoe Tapper, and have seen them in many other television series and films, and Frances O'Connor on the West End stage. They are not "unknowns". They are skilled and talented jobbing actors. And I am not familiar with the actor playing Mr Selfridge, but I am enjoying his performance very much.

This is social history mixed with economic history mixed with melodrama and sensuality (Andrew Davies - Mr-Darcy-in-wet-shirt-creator - is the writer) mixed with beautiful dresses and perfumes. Personally I go for the first two, and my five-year-old daughter goes for the last one. (She can never have too many pretty dresses in her life.)

It is based on the real life history of Harry Selfridge, an American who moved to Britain and opened London's first modern-style department store in around 1908. Everything he does is radically different to what everyone else is doing, and he deals with every obstacle with great exuberance and enthusiasm, that is very different to what other British period dramas depict. I love that energy.

There are guest appearances from other historical characters of the day - the ballerina Anna Pavlova, writer Conan Doyle, a Frenchman who flew the Channel for the first time, gangs of rather glammed-up Suffragettes - as well as lots of pointing out that it is a new century and a new world, with cars and planes and suchlike changing life as everyone knows it. I'm actually very interested in the Edwardian period of history for precisely that reason. I especially love the minute aspects of history that come into the programme, like make-up having to be sold under the counter because it's linked with being an escort, or comments about how the shop girls automatically have to resign if they get married - it's a lovely introduction to the female side of history.

So currently it's my favourite show on television, and I actually prefer it to "Downton Abbey."
33 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2013
Mr. Selfridge gets better with every episode you watch. Although I did find Piven's Selfridge a but irritating in the first episode, his character quickly grew on me (even if he is a bit of a bastard at times). However, what really won me over was the lovely Agnes, so beautifully played by Aisling Loftus. Brilliant character!

All in all, Mr. Selfridge is definately worth a watch. I am now eagerly anticipating the second series.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 March 2015
I was not at all sure about Mr Selfridge the series (I mean, what can it be about, I thought, it's like sucking a story out of a thumb!). BUT, by episode three of the first season I was fully converted (you have to live through the longish pilot episode). I was addicted to the story of ostentatious and flamboyant Harry Gordon Selfridge (excellently cast Jeremy Piven), the American brain and power behind the top London department store Selfridge & Co. He is a force of nature, ready to charm you off your feet! First season opens with Mr Selfridge planning to open the store while his business partners pull out, and the season close with Selfridges the store blooming and Selfridges the flashy American in the midst of family troubles. Second season is much darker, it picks up in 1914 as Selfridge & Co. celebrates its fifth anniversary while Europe is on the brink of war. The third season is full of heartbreak - with all the Selfridges children now grown up and trying to find their own way (career or love wise).

There are affairs, there are brilliant outfits, there are bohemian artists and stolen kisses, there is a spirit of a dead wife, a very sexy Frenchy (and quite annoying Italian) and one and only Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Each episode explores different themes but ultimately it's all about love, loss, ambition and the new era - the beginning of the Twentieth Century! The series are beautifully filmed, interiors and exteriors are well researched and some of the fashions are original outfits from the bygone era - this all makes London of the early twentieth century look rich and elegant.

I heard a number of complains about the slight annoyance of Jeremy Piven and/or inability of Mr Selfridge the series to compare with the "Downton Abbey". All I can say - no complaints from me! This is a brilliant, upbeat but thoughtful, somewhat educational (I think so!), good-hearted series. And I cannot wait to watch the fourth season.
on 3 May 2013
Fantastic viewing. Can't wait for series two. Attention to detail is exquisite. Stories are rich and each episode takes you on another interesting adventour in the development of this iconic London Store. Who new they have the largest shoe hall in the world selling over 7k pairs per week. Check out the two special features on the disc fascinating viewing. 5 stars hands down.
I really do love this series. The series is brilliantly cast and there is very believable atmosphere and costumes. The writing and production, locations, production as well as the acting are all excellent.

The series continues the true life story of Harry Selfridge and his business empire. The attention to period detail and the great characterisation together with solid plot lines is excellent viewing, Anyone who likes period costume dramas will like this,
This is an outstanding production. And deserves much praise.
This DVD set would be one to get and to watch over and over. I would like to get it but the DVD is a disappointment to me and people like me,

I am writing this review after seeing a number of episodes as transmitted on TV and then the DVD set.
I am doing so because I have an issue with what is the DVD release. . I do have one criticism and it is a big issue for me. When the series was transmitted on TV it had Audio Description on it. Something that is invaluable for people who are partially sighted or Blind. Here on these DVD releases there is no Audio Description mentioned for its issue on DVD. The deaf and hard of hearing have been catered for with subtitles which has almost become the norm for DVD releases.

But the visually impaired are being left behind with many companies neglecting to include Audio Description. The Subtitles were on the transmitted version and so was the Audio Description. But here there are subtitles but no Audio Description,

There is little excuse for this. This programme has been very successful so it cannot be down to cost. Come on DVD manufacturers include the Audio Description. Someone went to the trouble of making Audio Description for the TV transmission, so why not include it here.

So yes my review may only interest those that it will affect, the visually impaired. I am disappointed that since I am visually impaired there will be no audio description on this release. So if it affects you too then think twice. If you saw it on TV just live with the memory of it but be deprived of seeing it again with audio description. That seems to be the message and if you didn't get to see it on TV and are visually impaired then tough luck they don't care.

A great programme but one less star rating on this release for not bothering to help visually impaired when the production company did use audio description when used on TV. No excuse is acceptable. Its 2015 not the 1970s its time they go it right.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 June 2014
I was not at all sure about Mr Selfridge the series (I mean, what can it be about, I thought, it's like sucking a story out of a thumb!). BUT, by episode three of the first season I was fully converted (you have to live through the longish pilot episode). I was addicted to the story of ostentatious and flamboyant Harry Gordon Selfridge (Jeremy Piven), the American brain and power behind the top London department store Selfridge & Co. He is a force of nature, ready to charm you off your feet! First season opens with Mr Selfridge planning to open the store while his business partners pull out, and the season close with Selfridges the store blooming and Selfridges the flashy American in the midst of family troubles.

There are affairs, there are brilliant outfits, there are bohemian artists and stolen kisses, there is a spirit of a dead wife, a very sexy Frenchy and one and only Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Each episode explores different themes but ultimately it's all about love, loss, ambition and the new era - the beginning of the Twentieth Century! The series are beautifully filmed, interiors and exteriors are well researched and some of the fashions are original outfits from the bygone era - this all makes London of the early twentieth century look rich and elegant.

I heard a number of complains about the slight annoyance of Jeremy Piven and/or inability of Mr Selfridge the series to compare with the "Downton Abbey". All I can say - no complaints from me! This is a brilliant, upbeat but thoughtful, somewhat educational (I think so!), good-hearted series. And I cannot wait to watch the second season.
on 13 July 2015
DVD purchased for my wife who missed some of the episodes when first broadcast, but now she has watched Series 1 & 2 she is enjoying the show greatly. Listening to my wife's reactions after viewing I would say that this collection is worth every penny and would recommend it.
on 12 January 2016
Jeremy Piven plays the playboy, kind-hearted department store king with some aplomb, carrying us along with his charisma and reckless enthusiasm and in the first episode we see Selfridge’s grown from a hole in Oxford Street to the luxury business store which he had envisaged. The amazing Ron Cook is utterly credible as Mr Crab, the Head of Finance with unwavering loyalty and Victorian sensibilities which are often outraged by the passing trends. Tom Goodman-Hill also shines as the Chief of Staff and Aisling Loftus sensibly underplays the mousy but determined Agnes Towler. There are several interesting subplots – the arrival of Agnes’ abhorrent father Reg, the affair between Selfridge and Ellen Love, the appearance of several personalities of the day including Miss Pavolva and FW Woolworth. And the intimacy between Selfridge’s wife Rose and Roddy, the up-and-coming painter. While the series is lavish and the acting of good quality, the CGI sometimes lets it down and the end product is a comfortable piece of escapism. While reviewing the first season, an American critic sneered about the British obsession for costume dramas, but they do excel at this style of television and Mr Selfridge is no exception. Not gripping drama, but eminently watchable.
on 24 February 2013
Having watched Mr Selfridge from the start, the series has just got better and better by each episode aired, having never heard off Jeremy Piven before this, i am now his number one fan, he portrays harry gordon selfridge perfectly and i cant wait to see him in hopefully another series, what a brilliant cast.