Customer Discussions > Wii Fit (Wii) forum

No metric option for UK Wii Fit?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Apr 2008 00:10:32 BDT
MPH says:
Just wondered if there is a way to set it to cm/metres apart from changing the region of my Wii to Ireland, etc. its a bit annoying that it doesnt even give you the option as there are (although I imagine a minority) of Brits who have actually bothered to fully decimalise, especially young people and kids!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2008 11:09:08 BDT
Maverick11 says:
I couldn't find any setting option anywhere for metric/imperial measurements. Shame really. Big oversight from Nintendo on that one me thinks.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2008 11:11:09 BDT
Peter says:
From what I've read you simply can't change it to metric system.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Apr 2008 23:07:14 BDT
Wendle says:
You need to change the settings on your Wii Console to metric and then you should get your 'modern' measurements!

I like stones - sounds a lot less!!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 12:03:29 BDT
H. Bakie says:
I'm a young person and I still don't use metric. There should be an option but most people don't use metric measurements in the UK so it makes sense

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 15:34:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2008 17:00:01 BDT
Metric says:
I know how much UK people love their imperial units,
but addtional metric option will not harm you as long as you can choose.

we can choose gender of trainter in wii fit.
even facing direction of the trainer can be chosen.
why there is no option for units?

Please think about the facts that gasoline is sold in litter not in gallon anymore.
and BBC weather forcast display temparture in Celsius , not in Fahrenheit anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 15:47:32 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 16:56:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2008 16:57:49 BDT
Metric says:
yes. babies are "STILL" weighed in pounds and ounces in UK.
but it is not the babies' choice.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 18:59:59 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Apr 2008 19:00:15 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2008 20:20:57 BDT
J. Mckenna says:
Not true takes 30 secs to change any Wii to metric.
Go to the Wii settings on your unit change the country to any in the euro zone but leave the language as English.
Contray to other comments I think that Nintendo are actually very clever to identify that the Brits and the Yanks are still into Imperial and have left this option in the Unit.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2008 12:38:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 1 Jul 2008 12:38:26 BDT
Jules(Paris) says:
Jason Mckenna

I must admit I was a bit lost when i first starting reading this topic as Mine does do measurements in KG /Cm....MY console is set to English, but default must be france...never checked as that's were I live & bought it.

Nice to know how I can change to stones if I want...at 40 odd understand stones /lb's but have now got used to kg as it nice not to understand what I really weight ...since i a have clearly gained abit in the last 10 years...lol

Cheers Jules

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2009 01:34:19 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 May 2009 01:37:26 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2009 13:55:59 BDT
John W says:
This is not 'clever' of nintendo at all, it is a massive oversight. The country setting is obviously not designed to do this, and changing it things other than the Wii fit measurements otherwise it would not be there at all. Give me one good reason why it is that Nintendo seem to think you are more likely to want to change your stamp shape than the fundemental units of measurement? It is almost beyond belief that you think this is 'clever'.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2009 13:58:00 BDT
John W says:
In response to Jedy Lilly: You are wrong, babies are weighed in KGs officialy, ask anyone who has had a baby in the last 20 years. The official measurement is converted into lbs for those too backward to understand.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jul 2009 23:41:30 BDT
Yes I just set the country to IRELAND and yipee! metric units.
Seriously, this is really sloppy software writing by Nintendo, because just as there are UK residents who use metric there are lots of Irish people still using imperial. So it's a really lazy piece of logic to make the country selection equate to the units selection.
Heck, even the US Army uses metric!

Posted on 9 Aug 2009 08:16:01 BDT
I've recently had a friend over from the States and they still use miles, lbs and ozs but they've lost the stones. Imperial is still a dominant measuring system. I'm over 40 and was taught in metric but for whatever reason I still think in imperial. Does it really matter anyway, it's about tracking how your health and weight is improving. So long as the figures are moving in the right direction that is all that matters?

Posted on 12 Nov 2009 12:03:53 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Nov 2009 12:06:29 GMT
Roger Hull says:
As a Brit, I use metric measurements, apart from miles on the road. The metric system has been taught in schools since 1967 and, as a 44 year-old, that's what I know. I don't have a clue what my height is in feet and inches, or my weight in stones. A little short-sighted of Nintendo, I think. In the UK we buy our groceries in kgs and ltrs, our petrol in ltrs, we tell the temperature in celsius, and I measure my height in cms and my weight in kgs, as does the NHS. Get with it Nintendo!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2009 16:35:36 GMT
F. Jansen says:
I have changed my location to Ireland to get metric units - unfortunately if you do this you are not able to install the bbc iplayer channel...

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2009 16:36:51 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Nov 2009 16:37:13 GMT]

Posted on 29 Dec 2009 22:18:59 GMT
I am in my 40's and learned the metric system at school (in the UK) and have used it ever since. I know there is still residual sentiment for "the old measurements", but to force all UK users to have Imperial is insane. There should be separate settings for country and measurement system.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jan 2010 19:24:24 GMT
S. Ross says:
I am in my 40s and learned the Imperial system in school and have used it ever since. I know there is residual resentment for the 'old' system, but to force all U.K. users to use a system that has never been ratified is insane. The rest I agree with...:)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Feb 2010 15:24:17 GMT
P. J. Barber says:
I am 37. When I was born, my parents were told my weight (well, mass really) in kilogrammes. I learned the metric system only in school (in the UK) - and as a scientist I can assure you that avoids a lot of unnecessary headaches. When I went to university, I was taught in metric only. When I started paid employment my first job (in healthcare) used metric only for handling patients' vital statistics. Whenever I go shopping, I see prices in per kg, 100 g, or litre. When I fill my car up with diesel, it is dispensed and charged for by the litre. The official unit for fuel consumption (also used as the primary unit in the owner's manual) is L/100 km. The tyre pressures are also quoted in kilopascals and bars only (both metric units). When I'm doing DiY, the timber I buy is measured in metres or millimetres, and copper piping comes in 15, 22 or 28 mm diameters. When I was looking over the particulars for office space to rent recently, the price was (and I am told *must by law* be) quoted per square metre, not per square yard. When I am on a walking o cycling trip, I use Ordnance Survey maps which I think have been in metric for as long as I have been alive. I could go on...

Metric *is* the official system of measurement in this country, with the following exceptions: pints of draught beer or cider, pints of milk delivered by milkman, and vehicle speeds and route distances on the roads. (By the way, both the pint and the mile are nowadays defined by reference to their metric equivalents. And have you noticed the distance markers on motorways which are at intervals of 0.1 *km*?) So what was that about "never been ratified"?

I have no problem with imperial conversions being quoted, but how long will it be before I can count on software and hardware which allows me to use the official system of measurement, the only one that most people in the UK have been properly taught, and the system that nearly the whole of humanity uses without problems?

Posted on 2 Apr 2010 17:40:56 BDT
M. Phillips says:
I'd like to echo P J Barber's comments.
I'm 44, so by the time I got went to school metric was the official system used and taught in the UK. I have a basic understanding of imperial units, but I'm not too comfortable with using them - they're so complicated! Give me simple, regular metric every time.
Obviously, imperial is still very widely used in the UK, especially by the old 'uns. I'm not saying that Nintendo should force us to use metric, I don't even care if they make imperial the default setting, but we should be given the choice.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 May 2010 17:45:09 BDT
R. Hague says:
Yes, you can in fact change easily from Imperial to Metric. What you need to do is simply set your location to anywhere EXCEPT the UK, US or Ireland whilst keeping the language set to English. The default setting is Imperial measurements for these locations so setting to another location will give you metric measurements.

Posted on 8 Apr 2011 10:07:44 BDT
In 'Body Test' my Wii Fit shows the weight in imperial on the left and metric on the right side of the scale. If anyone else has this setup, have you noticed that one 'slips' against the other so that on different occasions the imperial measurement shows a varying metric equivalent! E.g. at one time 13st 0lb = 80.95kg; 12st 7lb = 80.2kg and 12st 0lb = 79.5kg before exercising, then when I recheck my weight afterwards the scale may show 13st 0lb = 80.7kg; 12st 7lb = 79.95kg and 12st 0lb = 79.2kg !!! Any measurable weight change is shown in pounds. Kinda makes you doubt the accuracy of your own weight as shown - should I note the imperial or metric measurement? Does anyone know of the best forum to post this on to get a resolution?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii Fit (Wii) forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  29 Apr 2008
Latest post:  2 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions