looking for a new author any suggestions?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Sep 2011 23:21:13 BDT
I'm looking for a new author. I've been through Reynolds, Hamilton, Bear, McDevitt, Pournell, Niven others. I'm currently on a "space opera" binge, heavey on current current physics theory, although, FTL drives and wormhole travel may apply. Any ideas?

Posted on 11 Nov 2011 02:00:11 GMT
2theD says:
The recent Michael Cobley trilogy in Humanity's Fire or Chris Moriarty's Spin trilogy... those two come to mind.

Posted on 21 Nov 2011 14:46:36 GMT
Zougathefist says:
Try Iain M. Banks for some fantastic and far thinking SF
also, Gary Gibson is pretty good.

Going backa few years I highly recommend Harry Harrison and Philip K. Dick as well as Robert A. Heinlein

A new author (1st book) is Hannu Rajaniemi - definitely one to watch
China Mieville, William Gibson and Neal Stephenson write alternative history/future books that encompass SF elemenst and are definitely worth a look

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 14:03:25 GMT
Have you read Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos? (Hyperion, Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, Rise of Endymion)

If not, that should keep you busy for a while :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2011 22:50:42 GMT
Thomas Ryan says:
Vernor Vinge with A Fire Upon the Deep and its prequel (of sorts) A Deepness in the Sky was one of the first to renew and refashion Space Opera - both books are brilliant, though he does postulate things like a galactic 'slow zone' (which we inhabit) as an explanation for our isolation - it's not very plausible if you want hard science. Worth looking at as well is Neal Asher's Hilldiggers about two warring cultures descended from human settlers; also by him and worth a look is a short story collection 'The Gabble' which has some great Space Opera stories but be wary of his Agent Cormac books - they're entertaining but written in very plain, workmanlike manner.

Posted on 4 Jan 2012 03:46:12 GMT
Neal Asher, Polity Series, and Richard K. Morgan, Altered Carbon. I go back and read "Dune" every 5 years or so. The series by Herbert's son are not bad reads, if you are out of supply. I disagree with Mr Ryan on Neal Asher's books being written in a "plain workmanlike manner." I find his books read a lot deeper on the second go around with very libertarian undertones that get me thinking.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 15:15:19 GMT
M. Riches says:
Wow, amongst those you've read no Iain M Banks? Where have you been?

Start with Player of Games and never look back. He's probably the best 'writer' of all those mentioned in this thread imo.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  18 Sep 2011
Latest post:  15 Jan 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidons Children 1)
Blue Remembered Earth (Poseidons Children 1) by Alastair Reynolds (Hardcover - 19 Jan 2012)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (118)