Customer Discussions > Xbox One Console with Kinect forum

looking for honest advice regarding buying an xbox one

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Feb 2014 09:19:43 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 14 Mar 2014 10:47:46 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014 10:11:38 GMT
Master says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 17 Feb 2014 11:47:01 GMT
S English says:
How the hell did I get down voted for asking a question? Anyway to clarify I'm trying to avoid fanboy comments of any kind and just looking for advice really. I'm fully aware of resolution & power differences etc. Not a discussion I'm interested in getting into.

As far as titanfall goes I've been playing the beta so already made my mind up that I want to buy the game when it's released.

Really just interested in people's honest experience with the console and there advice based on my situation.

Posted on 17 Feb 2014 14:01:20 GMT
Vixie says:
Hi there :)

My partner and I have both XB1 and PS4, yet I lean right towards my XB1. Possibly because I prefered the 360 to the PS3 and I simply upgraded in the same family to keep my account and friends.

My partner loves the PS4, yet even he seems unimpressed with its lack of exclusives on sale at the moment. No doubt this will improve over time, yet when I got my Titanfall Beta code he seemed a bit disheartened that the game would not be making it to his beloved PS4.

I have a PC that could run it but much like you, I don't like FPS on a PC, I much prefer it in front of my large TV with my XB1 controller, which is so comfortable to use on Titanfall.

As someone who has played the beta non stop this weekend, I whole heartedly support the purchase of a console based on one exclusive they really want to play. Been there, done that :) You won't be disappointed with an XB1. And Titanfall indeed lives up to its hype, and more! It's brilliant :)

They are expensive so if you feel you can wait a while for the console to drop in price and tide yourself over with the PC version, then do so :)

Posted on 17 Feb 2014 15:40:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Feb 2014 15:41:27 GMT
Master says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 18 Feb 2014 10:49:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Feb 2014 10:50:00 GMT
metalazo says:
I chose Xbox ONE, because I had a GOLD sub still but not yet subbed to PS plus, I have built up a bit of a gamerscore but not got any trophies on PS3 yet. Also I liked the idea where they were going with the TV features, which I hope do not get wasted. The Xbox ONE was going to get the new Blakes 7 series first but that is not happening any more, but maybe they will get another show I want to watch, before any channels on Sky / Virgin etc. I have friends who have Xbox 360 and not interested in PS4 but may get Xbox ONE if it was cheaper. The Xbox ONE showed to have more exclusives, especially at launch. Before launch I was not really impressed with either console, but the clincher was that I could get Forza 5 free with it. I still think PC is the best as it just grows and gets bigger and has 20 years of back catalogue games, and most still work on the latest machines and look better. Whenever I get a new PC I was go play my old games again and the new hardware breathes new life into them. I wish consoles would enhance old games too, it would be awesome if you could put a 360/PS3 game into the Xbox ONE/PS4 and not only plays but enhances it and makes it look like a next gen game.

The Xbox ONE is definately worth getting ASAP if you are into Xbox achievements, as they constantly do limited timed challenge achievements, and the longer you delay getting one the more achievements you miss out on.

I have not used the Xbox Fitness yet, but it is available for free to GOLD members throughout 2014. From Jan 2015 you will need a Xbox Fitness pass. If the console keeps lagging behind*, then they may not bring out this pass.

*Many games are coming out and being better on PS4 with 1080p / 60fps vs 720p / 30fps on Xbox ONE, but most of these games are multi-gen titles. Forza 5 was able to do 1080p 60 FPS so I do not see this trend continuing. I bet once devs get around to ditching PS3 and Xbox 360 and focus more on next gen then they will be able to put time into Xbox ONE and get them to be 1080p,

Personally it being 1080p does not bother me, as my TV can not handle 1080p anyway, only 720p / 1080i. I much rather continue building my gamerscore and playing the many xbox one exclusives (Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Max, Powerstar Golf, Lococycle, Zoo Tycoon) vs only 2 on PS4 that interest me currently (Drive Club and Resogun) and the rest I can get on PC.

For me getting a PS4 is so not worth it, but if you do not like any Xbox ONE games then PS4 is probably the better option. If I did not get the xbox ONE at launch, I would still wait getting either console, and just stick with my PS3/Xbox 360 for now. I doubt MS will sit around doing nothing and let the PS4 keep getting better versions. MS have the clout to throw money at the Xbox ONE like they did with the first Xbox, whereas Sony do not. The strength of the Xbox 360 meant MS did not need to throw money at it, but they may need to for the Xbox ONE

If you have a PC that can play Titanfall, then it may be worth looking into hooking up your PC to the TV, and getting a Xbox 360 (or Xbox ONE if it gets released) controller for windows, which is what I have too. I have a Xbox ONE, but if I were getting Titanfall then I may still get the PC version.

Posted on 28 Feb 2014 05:22:06 GMT
Glad to see Mr Treadwell hasn't stopped spouting off since November - have to ask the Question - Have you had time to play your PS4 since you seem to spend every minute on the Xbox One forum ranting?

S.English - to answer the questions you posed.
1) Xbox fitness (free till december with Gold) is fully available and works great - it comes with a range of exercises from various trainers and the option to purchase more from specific trainers bif you wish - this isn't compulsory - and the Kinnect comes in very useful for these :)
2) Oneguide is pencilled in for this year, think of it as when using an input from a Freeview or satalite box as a super guide - can also link in internet channels etc... but that is the US version - so can't give you any details atm.
3) Skype and kinnect - work brilliantly - cant rate this feature enough
4) could always plug the PS4 into the Xbox One so you would only need one HDMI input on your telly - not really sure thats much of a benefit over plugging them in seperately though
5) Both consoles will have different exclusives - which ones you prefer we can't tell you - Titanfall is very good looking on the Xbox One on a Sony 40" LED tv :) so I don't know where "someone" is commenting on how bad the graphics are - I can only assume that the "someone" was using a PC without a decent graphics gard - best advice over titanfall is read the reviews and industry (magazine) blogs on the Beta - 99% positive.

In the end it comes down to if you have the money and it would suit you to get an Xbox one go ahead - theres other exclusives upcoming other than Halo - Sunset Overdrive (a Parkour shooter with neon cartoon type graphics), Fable and quite a few more due to be announced at E3 this year. As I've said back in November I dont think anyone buying either a PS4 or an Xbox One is going to be dissapointed, and I'm certainly very pleased with my Xbox One which I choose purely for the exclusives since I'm a big SF fan :)

Hope that helps

Alex

Posted on 11 Mar 2014 05:25:19 GMT
I'll weigh in here

I bought the X1 at launch, my decision was based on I like the xbox exclusives, I was already a 360 player, and the launch line up was absolutely stonking compared to the Ps4.

I immediately traded in call of duty ghosts, it looked and played well but I've gone back to the former, black ops 2 on the 360 for my cod sessions, I've put a lot of hours into forza 5, this is an awesome exclusive, probably the best looking game I've seen on any console available at the moment, dead rising three was a blast as well, the graphics are nothing to scream out about but there's so much going on on screen you can see why, battlefield 4 I visit from time to time but it doesn't touch the better entries in he COD series, it's a different experience.

Back to the console, the latest update has done it the world of good, clumsy menu and app options are now much easier to use and run smoother.

Another reason I believe purchasing the X1 is a good one is the online play is smooth as the 360 was, I owned a ps3 and quite frankly it was embarrassingly unreliable for online play, Microsoft seem to be untouchable in this department.

For me it depends what sort of gamer you are, if you want better exclusives, smooth online play, decent dashboard options, a top drawer control pad, and decent online players, then X1 is for you.

If all you play is FIFA and cod you'd be better served buying a PS4 as that's where all the players for these games are.

Ps4 appears more powerful on paper however I've yet to see a single comparison video where ps4 actually has a noticeable advantage over the X1, they all pretty much look the same... Which is a shame for sony as they've made such a big thing out of the power advantage they should really be taking it by the scruff, like I said, I haven't seen a better looking game than forza 5 to date.

Lastly Microsoft get early access to most DLC packs for popular multi platform games, for example the COD DLC drops a month earlier than PS on the Xbox, this has been the case for a long time and looks set to continue.

For me X1 is for people who enjoy games, based on what I've read on here PS4 is for people that want the extra power but don't really get all that much of a better experience for it.

Blu ray player is a nice touch, it's annoying that you have to download an app to play them though

Oh and titanfall is out Friday, that should sell It to you right now ;-)

If I were a casual gamer I probably would wait on purchasing either of the new systems till the PS4 has more games (the line up is awful at the mo) or when the X1 stops giving developers headaches with it's system architecture, something the PS3 suffered heavily with.

Having just purchased my new Alienware system though is probably reccomend buying a PC as you can find most brand new titles for 20 quid if you look on the right places. Plus the graphics will be better than PS and X1

Posted on 14 Mar 2014 10:11:25 GMT
D. Snow says:
XBox One is weak, overpriced, and a threat to your family's privacy.

WEAK

PS4 is 50% faster than XBone.

OVERPRICED

XBone is $100 more than PS4, and does not allow hard drive upgrades. You can't even surf the web on XBone unless you PAY for XBox Live Gold. You have to buy AA batteries for XBone, while PS4 gives you a rechargeable Lithium battery for free.

PRIVACY THREAT

Microsoft has said they will use the Kinect camera for Targeted Advertising. That means the camera will spy on your family, and send the data back to Microsoft. After the data is analysed, XBone will offer up targeted ads. Microsoft will profit by violating the privacy of your home. Read all about it:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/04/xbox-one-built-with-advertising-in-mind-kinect-integral-to-next-gen-adverts/

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2014 10:19:29 GMT
Just as an additional comment - Maplins doing Xbox One for 349.99 ;)

The same on privacy or far worse can be said of the DVLA which sells your details to advertisers and the use of CCTV cameras for advertising purposes - and I remember the same argument about cameras on phones how 10 years ago the government would always be watching you ;)

To inject a bit of realism here - no government has the resources to watch everyone - without taxes going up 300% at any rate. Advertisers have discussed with Microsoft the possibility of using the camera toonitor what adds people pay attention too - useful when future advertisers choose styles and formats of ads - but this has NOT been agreed or implemented - and is unlikely too due to DPA here and theuch more stringent use of electronic data regulations in France - which severely limits what even governments can use.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2014 10:27:50 GMT
D. Snow says:
>To inject a bit of realism here - no government has the resources to watch everyone - without taxes going up 300% at any rate.

We are not talking about everyone, just XBox One owners. And the watching is all automated, no humans are needed. It is entirely possible, and will likely happen too. Microsoft intends to profit by violating the privacy of your home.

People in the UK already face public surveillance cameras everywhere, now you will welcome a camera inside your home?

Posted on 14 Mar 2014 13:53:58 GMT
I have a X1 and a 360. To be honest having bought a new x1 at launch I find I am playing more 360 than ever before. The 360 is better all round . More intuitive to use. Things like apps actually work etc. To be honest I wonder why I bothered. As for the PS4 I do not own one but feel this, like X1 IMO, is simply rushed out as a Beta test. We are far from getting a polished system. I am off to play Xbox 360. I have 2 games on pre order at present both for the old 360. That speaks volumes.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Mar 2014 11:52:50 GMT
While were on the paranoir bandwagon:

You already welcome a camera into your home - and for most people into the bedroom. If security services want to follow your every move they would simply tap into computer and mobile phone cameras and microphones - or simply apply listening devices remotely.

I don't really think any government is interested in watching people 24/7 - they are to prioritise resources to high risk activities - playing titanfall wouldn't by the widest margin come close to a risk to national security.

Posted on 17 Mar 2014 12:27:21 GMT
To be honest I think the problem is more likely people doing their own hacking into your systems. Look at all the problems with games companies in the last few years. I reckon the major problem with the X1 is it is far inferior to even the 360 it is replacing in real terms. Since November I have spent more time downloading games on the X1 than playing them. That is bad news. Playing the 360 by about 5 times more than the X1 really should not be happening at this stage. The darned thing can not do chat, surround sound etc etc. It is half as good as the 10 year old predecessor.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Mar 2014 18:41:41 GMT
D. Snow says:
>Since November I have spent more time downloading games on the X1 than playing them. That is bad news.

That is very bad news. And it is absolutely ridiculous, when you think about. Titanfall takes up to 40 gigabytes? For one game? That is insane! It is not much better than XBox360 games, and they only used maybe 5 gigabytes.

>The darned thing can not do chat, surround sound etc etc. It is half as good as the 10 year old predecessor.

You are so right. XBone is a weak, overpriced piece of ****. I would not let my brother or best friend waste money on the XBone.

Posted on 18 Mar 2014 07:16:33 GMT
Sam Rhodes says:
i think xbox one has hit a nerve with the psfanboys otherwise they wouldnt be on here trying to slate it all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Mar 2014 13:23:48 GMT
Lol I own NO PS3 let alone 4 as you may note I bought a XBone from Amazon, day one edition with Fifa. How the hell does that make me a PS fanboy?? I owned original Xbox day one and have had 3 360's also from Amazon. I am more a 360 fan if you want to accurate. The reality is I am not getting any other console, let alone a Sony one. I hate idiots who are Xbox fans who call every one a sony fan, when they can not handle the truth.

Posted on 19 Mar 2014 20:47:43 GMT
Depends what your expecting - I got rid of my Xbox 360 day my Xbox One arrived and haven't looked back ;) no regrets at all - most played games are BF4, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare and now Titanfall.

That's what I've found, and realise not everyone will feel the same way - but I can only give my personal opinion :)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2014 00:17:25 GMT
D. Snow says:
>I got rid of my Xbox 360 day my Xbox One arrived and haven't looked back

I could never do that! I still have tons of good games for XBox360, and none of them will work on XBone.

Plus the XBox360 controller justs feels better in my hands.

Posted on 20 Mar 2014 11:38:46 GMT
I forgot about the controller. It is so small and fragile now. I want to use my 360 one. BUT they of course deigned it so you need to buy new ones darn it. Its all about at Microsoft.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Mar 2014 18:03:57 GMT
D. Snow says:
>Its all about at Microsoft.

That is so true. Steering wheels from XBox360 don't work on XBone. Also, XBone is the only device, EVER, to charge people to simply surf the internet. And then XBone makes you pay TWICE to access Netflix. Absolutely outrageous!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2014 05:52:47 GMT
Sam Rhodes says:
thats because xbox one dont own netflix and they dont charge you twice to surf the net you get gold member ship and thats all you need

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Mar 2014 06:35:42 GMT
D. Snow says:
Sam,

PS4 does not charge anything to watch your Netflix subscription.

PS4 does not charge anything to surf the internet.

XBone is weak, overpriced, and a threat to your family's privacy. XBone charges for things that EVERYBODY ELSE gives you for free.

I wouldn't let my brother or best friend waste money on the XBone...

Posted on 21 Mar 2014 20:20:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Mar 2014 20:21:14 GMT
Sam Rhodes says:
d. snow

ps4 doesn't charge huh then explain why you are now charged for online play?

if the Xbox one is weak why do you seem so threatened by it then? if you think its a threat to your family's privacy your an idiot NO ONE IS WATCHING YOU!!!.

Posted on 22 Mar 2014 02:18:41 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Mar 2014 02:53:03 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  15 Feb 2014
Latest post:  6 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Xbox One Console with Kinect
Xbox One Console with Kinect by Microsoft (Xbox One)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (528)