Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Apr 2011 21:53:56 BDT
M. Riches says:
i really hope this isn't £2.50 more expensive than the hardback book version!!

Posted on 28 Apr 2011 15:39:58 BDT
Probably.....

The price of the ebook is set by the publisher under the agency model, Amazon are not allowed to discount it, it also includes VAT (paid in Luxemborg - but that's another story) unlike print books. The publisher is not allowed to set the price of the hardback as this practice was banned when the net book agreement was found to be anti-competive, so Amazon can discount it.

When the paperback comes out the ebook price should drop by an equivalent level.

Who to complain to....
The agency model - the OFT, they are currently investigating the practice.
VAT on ebooks - the EU....
Amazon structuring themselves to avoid UK taxes - Amazon (bear in mind Luxemborg VAT is lower than UK vat so the price would be even higher if they didn't do that).

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 13:36:48 BDT
Ebook prices annoy me. No distribution costs, no storage costs, no material costs, just admin, author and other agency fees. So it should not even match the hardback or paperback prices. We are a few years away before the greed is dropped.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2011 17:38:06 BDT
Apparently, printing and suchlike costs for a major book like this one are pennies. The problem at the moment is the publishers don't want books devalued further than they are at the moment and would like a book to cost as much as say, a blueray disc, whereas we are used to paying a much lower price. The ebook will come down in price when the paperback comes out. In the mean time, the publishers loose out as plenty of people who would pay a reasonable price will download this from bittorrent when in comes out.....

Posted on 12 May 2011 19:14:07 BDT
J. T. Clegg says:
Most people wouldn't pirate the book if it was a reasonable price to buy. See http://www.baen.com/library/ for an explanation of this concept.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2011 01:41:08 BDT
John Neary says:
I would expect this to be sold at no more than a Tenner as a Kindle version.Cheaper and more reasonable prices mean less piracy.More people drink at home than in Pubs and the Pub owners whinge.I mean £2.65 for a pint in a Pub or or £1.00 for two cans at home.Simple economics really.

Posted on 28 May 2011 21:19:51 BDT
J. Curtis says:
Well IIRC eBooks are selling more then hard/paper backs, so I dont think piracy is that much of a big issue, just an excuse for the big wigs to make more money for less. The reality is that publishers are scared that they are not needed as much as they where once. They are still needed just not in there current form they need to adapt in the advent of technology or they will suffer for it in the future as piracy WILL become a lot bigger problem then they currently make it out to be.

Posted on 1 Jun 2011 14:43:50 BDT
I think ultimatly we have to blame the publisher. I love my Kindle and have paid for every book on. BUT you keep ripping me off like this and I will start considering exploring other options. It cost almost nothing to distirbute an electronic book, the publisher is trying to capitalise on the pent up demand for this book, very short term objectives that will lead to long term disaster for their industry. If authors don't make money, there won't be new books, but I object to lining the fat cats of publishing's pockets. Look at the music industry and downloads and learn while your public is on your side.

Posted on 1 Jun 2011 18:08:42 BDT
To be fair I suspect we are a little spoilt by book prices at the moment. In terms of value the amont of time and enjoyment a book provides me with is at least the same and probably much greater than a blu ray disc, and yet I feel a book should be cheaper, I'm not sure why but I do. For this particular book the kindle price is almost the same as the hardback, its just the added VAT that makes it higher.

Posted on 5 Jun 2011 13:48:50 BDT
P. Burke says:
It's only $11.74 over on the .com site which translates to €8.02 or £7.15 which is a fantastic price for a new release such as this. Just a shame the translation from American English to British English and the postage costs have resulted in such a price hike.

Book publishers have had years to learn from the music and games industry with regards to digital distribution yet they're making all the same mistakes.

Posted on 11 Jun 2011 13:52:57 BDT
Garudi says:
Looks like I'll be buying the paperback then, being half the price of the kindle version.
I'll be able to lend it to my friends when I've read it too...

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2011 15:11:52 BDT
J. Curtis says:
Or if they are going to treat us like children then we will act like children and i'll get the eBook by other means. If the price was lower I would snap it up. There is a series of eBooks from a particular publisher that I read that is only £1.00 cheaper then the paper back and I snap them up. Funny how that works eh?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2011 08:54:50 BDT
I don't get it myself. Let's make the easily copied option the most expensive so that honest people are tempted to get it elsewhere. I would buy for the same price as paperback or even hard back. Don't care that ebooks have VAT still see it as extra

Posted on 12 Jun 2011 19:23:06 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 13 Jun 2011 14:43:46 BDT
Devil_Inside says:
Why would I buy this at this price? There thousands of books which I will enjoy just as much will be cheaper. This is just someone in the publishers thinking they can get away with this price because the series is on TV. Bugger that.

Posted on 14 Jun 2011 19:59:17 BDT
pedros says:
Unfortunately I will have to pay this price for the kindle edition. I don't really like hardback books that much, plus it will be far too big to take on the tube with me, all the other books in the series are in paperback so I'm going to buy it in paperback when it comes out so they look pretty on my bookshelf, and I want it the day of its release and if I order it online then it will be delivered when I'm at work and will be too big to fit through the letterbox and I'll have to wait till the following Saturday to pick it up from the sorting office, and if I buy it from a shop then I'll probably have to pay at least £20.

So because of all these reasons I am prepared to pay an extra couple of quid to download it on the morning of release.

Posted on 21 Jun 2011 20:58:47 BDT
I am not happy about this. On the one hand authors and publishers complain about piracy. On the other hand the electronic version is MORE than the hardback, and double the paperback. Perhaps Mr Martin and his publisher would like to put two and two together.

Suffice to say I will NOT be buying the kindle edition.

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 17:52:51 BDT
R. Bendall says:
I've just canceled my preorder, i'm not paying more for a less tangible copy.

Posted on 25 Jun 2011 07:57:06 BDT
I must agree with the OP, what a huge ripoff at twice the price of the paperback version. In addition to this we'll propbably have to put up with a ton of conversion issues including spelling mistakes and words merged together like in the previous books from this publisher. I don't know whether to just buy the paperback for now and get the Kindle version in a years time if the price has come down.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jun 2011 13:52:32 BDT
Buy the paperback now? lol....

It wont be out till next year. When it comes out the Kindle price will drop.

You pay a premium to get a book close to release date, in whatever format it's in. That's how the publishers and authors make their money.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2011 21:20:06 BDT
Yup, its like that with everything.

Digital versions of everything tend to cost more at the minute, as digital downloads are still taking off. Many games for instance are offered as digital downloads for around £50 on release for consoles, even though you can get them online for closer to £30 for their physical counterparts.

It will be a while before things change.

Posted on 30 Jun 2011 15:44:44 BDT
The Fyrdman says:
*sigh* The publishing houses are businesses, not charities. They launch hundreds of different authors before they hit good ones that make the money back for them on the losses they made. This is a clear hit and an opportunity for the publisher to recapitalise. This in turn will allow them to keep putting out more risky new authors who may turn out to be brilliant.

As we move from books to e-books the prices WILL drop. Publishers will launch more authors on Kindle and other devices at a much smaller cost than they do currently, thus shrinking the risk and need to charge so much. Just think back to when DVD's came out. DVD's are cheaper to create than videos but they originally charged a premium on them. This higher cost dropped as more people bought DVD players and they became less of a geeks new gadget and more standard kit for all.

So yes it's a pain right now but those who buy in early to new gadgets always suffer a premium but in the long term prices will fall.

Posted on 30 Jun 2011 20:43:28 BDT
Camilo Mori says:
Don't have an issue with trying to make money on a product, as you say they are not charities. But this is outright silly, most people will fail to see the logic of the electronic version being more expensive than the hard cover and just download the torrent. Just seems greedy and pushes people away from buy the product. I will wait until they reduce the price, or skip it altogether.

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 12:27:35 BDT
Lost says:
Cancelled the Pre order. I had hoped sanity would occur and the price dropped. It hasn't so its a trip to the library. No money to the publisher from me.

Posted on 3 Jul 2011 10:29:22 BDT
M. Riches says:
Looks like the price hasn't dropped at all and its nearly release date.

No way am i paying £15 for any ebook. Especially when it's actually pretty easy to obtain by 'other means'.

This is unfortunate for all involved, me, the autor, the publisher... but nobody likes to be ripped off. I would quite happily pay around 2 thirds of the price of the paperback/hardback release. Sounds reasonable doesn't it.

When will they get it into their thick skulls people will not pay silly prices for a digital file, the pricing of music has settled down to a reasonable price. Pricing ebooks this way just pushes people to find other ways of obtaining the book, ways that mean no profit for the publisher. It does make me wonder who makes these decisions and what they base them on.

I know lots of people who would love a kindle but won't buy because of extortionate ebook prices.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  49
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  27 Apr 2011
Latest post:  21 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5
A Song of Ice and Fire (5) - A Dance With Dragons: Book 5 by George R. R. Martin
3.8 out of 5 stars   (687)