Customer Discussions > A Perfectly Good Man forum

Why is the kindle edition so much more expensive than the paperback?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Mar 2012 22:08:57 GMT
I can understand that new books are usually more expensive but that is because hardbacks cost more to produce. Why is the kindle edition more expensive than the paperback ?? I can't pass it on to a friend or give it to a charity shop only recommend it. 10 is too much I will probably order it from the library. Who gains from that.

Posted on 18 Mar 2012 21:34:07 GMT
This is the first Patrick Gale novel to be released since I bought a Kindle and I was in two minds about whether to buy the "real book" and continue my paper collection or just download it - which is obviously a lot more convenient and what I'm used to these days... Then I saw the price!! I'm used to price variations but the Kindle version is nearly twice the price of the paperback! So I guess it's back to paper for this novel. Ludicrous!

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 23:35:05 BDT
R. A. Carter says:
I agree! The price set by Fourth Estate for the e-book is nothing short of a disgrace. I'm a fan of Patrick Gale, but I'll wait for the paperback or use my library rather than pay this ridiculous price.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 10:06:14 BDT
R. A. Carter says:
Wrote to Fourth Estate about this, and had a reply this morning. They say the e-book price is in line with the hardback price and will come down when the paperback is published. In other words the set price has nothing to do with costs and everything to do with maximising profits and ripping off the customer. Mr Gale, I think you should look for a more ethical publisher.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 12:48:52 BDT
Thanks for that. Did they give a date for the paperback printing?
When I used to read paperbacks I always passed them on and people still use libraries where many people read the same copy, so you would think they would like to sell as many one off kindle copies as they could.

Posted on 3 Apr 2012 14:36:19 BDT
R. A. Carter says:
No, they didn't give a date for the paperback. They replied that they think their e-books are competitively priced! Interesting that other Patrick Gale e-books are all 2.99. They don't seem able to justify the 7 premium for a product they'll be selling for 2.99 in a few months. Publishers don't seem to realise that the days of ripping off their customers are numbered; the sooner authors start self-publishing via electronic means the better.

Posted on 9 May 2012 23:07:11 BDT
R. A. Carter says:
Interestingly the publisher has now halved the price of the Kindle edition! I wonder why? :P

Posted on 10 May 2012 09:38:06 BDT
Yes, I had it on my wish list and was checking the prices yesterday. So I bought it !! They don't seem to have many of his titles, I would like to increase my kindle library so will check again. Thanks for letting me know as I could have missed it - decided not to wait until reduced further. I won't buy anything over 5 now as I can't pass it on..

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2012 11:46:04 BDT
That's great news! I was almost going to buy it 9.99 but so glad I waited. Thanks for the tip-off!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  17 Mar 2012
Latest post:  10 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Perfectly Good Man
A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale
4.1 out of 5 stars   (148)