Customer Discussions > One Day forum

Why are there international copyright barriers to receiving US published ebooks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Sep 2011 12:40:02 BDT
Mrs S says:
Cleopatra: A Life

My brother e-mailed me a kindle copy from the US as a gift - I was then notified that "this is not available to customers on UK". I can buy a US published book, why not a kindle version?

Posted on 5 Sep 2011 13:03:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Sep 2011 13:05:07 BDT
John Norris says:
Yes it stinks a bit, we bought kindle last week so I could share books with my sister in the USA only to find out we can't. Good news is kindle did say that it was something they were looking into, I can see people jail breaking there kindle soon if you can't buy a book on line and then share.

Posted on 7 Sep 2011 12:56:05 BDT
J. Carter says:
Does this mean i can't download an american book from my kindle on amason?I live in uk

Posted on 7 Sep 2011 17:19:13 BDT
Jackie says:
I can only download the kindle UK versions of my own book. Thankfully I downloaded kindle to my PC and didn't fork out for one before I discovered this. Until Kindle sort this I won't buy their product, as it's a kind of discrimination.

Posted on 8 Sep 2011 09:22:58 BDT
thelevone says:
Thats not all. If you buy a kindle book from a US site you are charged by Visa to convert from dollars to pounds. So, if the book is $1 it turns into 2 and that's why I don't buy any more books from the US sites.

Posted on 10 Sep 2011 14:36:57 BDT
JC says:
I open two windows and search the Amazon.com site for books, once I find one that interests me I then do the same search in the second window on Amazon.co.uk. Invariably they usually do have the same book and the prices are usually ok. I most recently did this last week and had some really good books that have never appeared in the bestsellers or the new releases on the UK site and they were reasonably priced.
Its worth the effort and you don't end up out of pocket.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2011 16:17:37 BDT
Mrs S says:
Really good idea. I just tried it and there are more e-books than on UK site - but Amazon.com still asks which country you are in - and when you ask "why?" They say:
"Certain Kindle Titles are not available everywhere. Kindle Titles that are available in your country or region will be displayed."
I wish we could do something about it, because you can order printed books easily.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2011 12:18:54 BDT
J. Carter says:
Thanks Jackie,
I also won't purchase a kindle, till they sort it.
Joan Carter

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Sep 2011 12:26:49 BDT
J. Carter says:
Thanks for your info

Posted on 14 Sep 2011 08:51:33 BDT
I *think* it may have to do with issues with UK publishers. I've noticed more and more, not just with kindle but printed books that if a UK publisher has bought the rights to a US book, amazon stop selling the US publishers version of the book. (Very annoying)

I think this is the same with the kindle books and its all down to the publisher.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2011 12:31:50 BDT
Mrs S says:
Is there any way, that anyone knows, to put pressure on publishers to allow kindle versions/kindle exchange on books in UK? I hear from my brother that in the US, once you have read an e-book, you can post it up on an "exchange" site and allow up to 5 people to "borrow" it and read it for up to 2 weeks. I do not know if borrowers have to pay any fee. the idea seems to make sense though. If I buy a printed book I am free to lend it to people. the whole system needs sorting out. Can any one think of anyway to start a movement to do this?

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 13:53:38 GMT
Valerio says:
Hypothetically speaking, if a person went to "Choose country" on their Kindle and inserted the location of an American hotel then they would be able to buy American books in the same way as if they were in that hotel.

But no-one should try it in reality, of course.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  One Day forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  5 Sep 2011
Latest post:  4 Feb 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
One Day (Vintage Contemporaries)
One Day (Vintage Contemporaries) by David Nicholls (Paperback - 15 Jun 2010)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (1,682)