Customer Discussions > The Essential Collection forum

help in tracking down a Motown singer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Feb 2009 11:32:48 GMT
Mr. T. Rowe says:
help, does anyone know of a Motown female singer who sang a song with the line `what are you going to do when I am gone `?any help would be appreciated. please forward any advice to kalanag@btinternet.com many thanks

Terry

Posted on 13 May 2009 20:27:03 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2009 03:12:39 GMT
W.H. says:
I know of three Motown singers who sang "When I'm Gone": Brenda Holloway, Barbara McNair, and Mary Wells.

Holloway's version appears on her anthologies, "The Motown Anthology" and "Greatest Hits & Rare Classics."
McNair's version appears on her anthology, "The Ultimate Motown Anthology."
Wells' version appears on her anthologies, "Looking Back 1961-1964," "The Mary Wells Collection," and "The Ultimate Collection." (Since there are several Mary Wells collections with similar titles, you should check the track lists for "When I'm Gone.")

I believe Brenda Holloway's rendition of this song was the only one released as a single, so hers is probably the version you heard. All three are quite good, though.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2010 02:26:53 BDT
Motown Dave says:
Brenda Holloway's version was the only true release. Mary Wells version was scheduled as a single and given a release number but Motown was forced by Wells and her lawyer to withdraw the release.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  24 Feb 2009
Latest post:  24 May 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Essential Collection
The Essential Collection by Marvelettes (Audio CD - 2000)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (9)