Format: Audio CDChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 September 2014
Angus and Julia Stone, the brother-sister duo from Australia, debuted in 2007 with their "A Book Like This" album, reminding us of other indie-folk bands like the Weepies. With their next album, 2010's "Down This Way", the Stones expanded their musical landscape beyond just the folksy-intimate sound, and with great results. Now, after what seems like forever, the Stone siblings finally return with their third album.

"Angus & Julia Stone" (13 tracks; 60 min.) opens with the pleasant "A Heartbreak", with Angus and Julia's voices juxtaposed in perfect harmony: Julia's dreamy, at times angelic, voice against Angus' deeper, at times baritone voice. I love it when they sing together. "My Word For It" reminds me of Aimee Mann. "Grizzly Bear" has that certain SoCal Laurel Canyon vibe to it, and in fact that is true for a number of songs on here (check also "Get Home" and "From the Stalls", among others). If it's not clear by now, the folksy sound from the debut album has pretty much disappeared by now ("Wherever You Are" is the only song that is somewhat reminiscent of the early sound). The album closer, an epic 7 min. "Crash and Burn", even leans towards the bluesy side. A great way to finish things out. Maybe it's just me, but the album is a bit too long for its own good, and it would've been fine by me to leave off "Please You" and "Main Street", both of which drag on way too long.

Bottom line, despite perhaps being a bit too long, this is nevertheless a very fine album. When a band or artist releases a self-titled album years into their career, it's usually to try and reintroduce themselves to the outside world. This album is by far the most accessible of the Stones output to date. Welcome back, Angus and Julia, we've missed ya! The Stone siblings will be touring the US in support of this album in October, but sadly Chicago is the closest they will come to Cincinnati, so I'm hoping they'll add more Midwest dates later. Meanwhile, "Angus & Julia Stone" is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
on 6 August 2014
There is some great music around at the moment.... but this is something really special. Angus and Julia Stone under the influence of Rick Rubin have produced an album that sounds like an album rather than a collection of singles. The production values are superb and the music its just fabulous. What does it sound like well.... Hope Sandoval meets Paulo Nutini meet Dylan meets Neil Young. If you like real melody with great vocals then you will not be disappointed. I am a big fan of The War on Drugs recent Lost in a Dream album but this runs it very close for my record of 2014 so far. Angus and Julia Stone play a couple of venues in the UK in December i will definitely be there.
on 6 August 2014
Everything I was hoping for and then some, this album is ethereally perfect. Don't leave the free mp3 download unchecked, there are 3 extra tracks on there and they're wonderful.
I can't imagine my life without Angus and Julia ♡
on 19 November 2014
Exceptional tracks include Grizzly Bear and Death Defying Acts. Overall beautifully recorded with crisp clear sounds. Liked it so much am purchasing their other CD's !
on 19 January 2015
Love this sibling duo, great lyrics, unusual blend of voices, great musicians and put it together and it all just works. Really like their music and would recommend, not quite folk, not quite country.....unusual genre but very easy to listen too.
on 23 November 2014
In my opinion this is the best CD the siblings have produced so far including their solo work. Wonderful intimate songs. Great audiophile recording quality. I absolutely love it.
on 1 December 2015
I thought Album was OK - based on their standards.

CD is sent out as a cheapo 'Digipak' - I would hold out & buy the 'deluxe' edition which has a few more tracks than this version too!

Like another reviewer, I was a teenager in the 70's & I recognise a load of 'rehashed' tunes amongst their 'work'!

An Australian brother-sister band, Album music influences
him > sounds like/main influence Neil Young/pink floyd in places,
her > Hope Sandoval from 90's "Mazzy Star"
on 6 December 2015
Just love everything this pair do.....Grizzly Bear....I just can't get sick of that track....I play it a lot!
on 18 November 2015
This cd is sublime, the production by Rick rubin is high fidelity, what fantastic music , WOW
on 18 September 2015
From other reviews I expected far more... and was disappointed