Colour Name: White (21MB/s) - SIM FreeChange

on 7 July 2015
I bought this for a trip to France, the house we hired didn't have Wi-Fi. I also bought, via Amazon, a French sim card from LaFrance. I didn't try out either as the French sim won't work in the UK. It was with some trepidation on our first night, after dinner and fortified by (too?) much beer and wine, that I decided to set it up. I followed the instructions from Huawei and LaFrance with care and everything worked it took about 10 min. By 830pm my wife was enjoying playing backgammon with fellow fanatics all around the world and then browsing the internet deciding what we would do on our first full day in the Dordogne. I resumed browsing the wine!
Everything worked well though the range of the device was limited by thick walls of the stone built farmhouse. The Huawei is so tiny it was easy to slip it into a pocket or place it on the patio table (having cleared wine bottles away to make room). The battery life is not very long but when we were indoors (not often) or overnight it could be left on charge and sent its signal throughout the 4 bedrooms, dining room, sitting room and kitchen.
The only problem (not with the Huawei) was I had not bought enough data (only 1GB) from LaFrance and this expired after about a week and every time I tried to top up the LaFrance website froze on the confirm order page. I'll buy sufficient next time.

I recommend this gadget it does what you expect it to.
One word of caution follow the setup instructions carefully both for the Huawei and for whatever sim card you decide to use. Perhaps being booze befuddled helped as, usually and in common with most men, I go word blind when following these and try to wing it.
on 16 January 2015
Works exactly as described. Bought to use with a local SIM card card in Cyprus and had no issues at all. Would definitely recommend this product
on 19 December 2014
Delighted with it; as a senior citizen I'm not that confident with all the modern internet gadgets but this was a piece of cake to install. My only criticism is the wifi key is on the inside of the unit and is so tiny I couldnt read it even with a magnifying glass. There was a letter l in it (twice) and I didnt know if they were lower case L, upper case i or number 1. Eventually found they were neither; one was a t and the other i! I have a '3' pre pay sim card but have also used it with a pay as you go. Also, I'm in Ireland and it works a treat here; its VERY rural with no broadband cover (crap telephone line) so delighted this works. I leave it plugged into the mains full time and have run 2 laptops, and ipad and a mini pad off it at the same time with no problem. Doesnt cover the whole house but does the adjacent rooms very well.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2015
I bought this as a way of getting internet access to my in-laws as they don't have broadband.
We're using giffgaff and it works very well indeed - a tad difficult to set up but there is a help page on the internet which proved very useful.
We get a "very strong" signal and everything seems to work well.
We only really latched on to this way of doing things after speaking to a friend who takes hers away on holiday with her and we thought that this would be a much more convenient way of doing things rather than relying on a hotel's often patchy broadband coverage as I am tired of hanging over the balcony defying death just to try to keep up with what's happening back in the UK ! Now that we've seen that it works well we intend to buy one for ourselves
on 27 May 2015
The unit is excellent, works better than expected and is very easy to use. The iOS application is also excellent and keeps track of data used (gives a nice countdown). Excellent value for money.

I do have concerns about the origin of the unit from the seller eZee Trade - it has clearly been purchased locked to a network, opened, software updated to make it sim free, then reboxed and resold. I have come to this conclusion as the box has the telephone number and PIN of the sim it originally shipped with, and the second white label covering the damaged box-tamper label.

Why does this bother me? The unit would have been subsidised by the original carrier - hence the network lock. I suspect this seller is committing fraud by removing the lock and therefore profiting from the subsidy. If this is all above board, the seller should explain why the factory seals are broken when this is being sold as 'new'.
on 24 November 2014
Works flawlessly; WiFi and 3G connections come up in seconds, slips easily into my pocket and is very light and compact when out and about, nice to look at. Faults: none!
on 7 July 2015
I bought this unlocked mifi for use in the States, but like many European/Asian phones, no unlocking in the world will allow it to operate in the Americas. Technicians in the States seem to have been unaware of the problem and we spent several hours in a fruitless attempt to connect. Unfortunately, to use it, I had to buy the SIM and load it, so yet more money was lost. A very clear bold print statement needs to accompany the ad to explain where any given mifi can be used.
on 16 November 2014
Works well with 3G - I had a good strong mobile signal in Spain. I was concerned as to when the SIM pin should be entered but the software deals with this on the initial start up of the unit. Icon indicators are OK but the battery icon goes from green to red with nothing in between to tell you it's running out. I think there is meant to be an amber warning but I never saw it. I would advise charging unit daily if using it. I was using this unit with an iPad. Enjoyed using the iPad in the open countryside to access websites but my main reason was to have Internet access in Spain using 3G - I used an Orange Spanish SIM card.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2014
Having purchased this excellent unit, I wanted it to be accessable throughout the house.
It can be done, I used a TPLink WIFI Extender, using the simple "push button" to find and lock onto the Huawei, which was in the same room.
I then placed the extender, in the best place to cover the house, and pick up the wifi from the Huawei.
Simples!, I now have the Huawei in a place where I get the best signal, and we all can get great access and a great signal.
In fact there is a definite, imptovement in signal stability, and speed.
Bye bye BT, which was useless, the Huawei is faster, and great value, if you only need to browse the internet, send e- mails etc, I envisage with a cheap data sim, package, "wired", I.e BT lines will be reduntant, especially in outlying ares.
The cost £120, 1gb data sim £7.99p, a good package for a data sim card only £5, as more people move to 4g then the cost should fall.
Thanks Huawei, a great device.
on 27 December 2014
So I was sick with my by broadband, I love in a rural area where my internet speeds are 2-3Mbps at best. I purchased this product put sim card in it and to my surprise I get now up to 10Mbps. That score is achieved by putting this modem near window. I can use it with my raspberry pi as well to serve me my movies to my kindle and tv. I'm happy to see that there is an dedicated app for controlling the device as well.